Money & Dana at Spirit Rock

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom
Bub
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Money & Dana at Spirit Rock

Postby Bub » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:51 pm

I was so happy to find Spirit Rock was within driving distance from where I live but unfortunately they want serious money. They don't readily make available just who or what the money is going to. This money apparently isn't for the teachers in most cases so the teachers still accept dana and depending on how Spirit Rock distributes they're profits or nonprofits, this dana situation could be acceptable(to me). If there is a mandatory fee, wouldn't it be helpful for the student(as in less doubting while meditating) to know just where that money goes? Would one be paying for the teachings or paying for the space the teachings are being given at? I have problems with doubt enough and would rather "pay" the traditional way through dana, but this Spirit Rock situation is just plain confusing to me. I mean if I give dana to the teacher what is the $5000 charge for?

David N. Snyder
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: Money & Dana at Spirit Rock

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:40 pm

Bub wrote:If there is a mandatory fee, wouldn't it be helpful for the student(as in less doubting while meditating) to know just where that money goes? Would one be paying for the teachings or paying for the space the teachings are being given at? I have problems with doubt enough and would rather "pay" the traditional way through dana, but this Spirit Rock situation is just plain confusing to me. I mean if I give dana to the teacher what is the $5000 charge for?

It takes money to run the buildings, pay the electric bills, the gas bills, any mortgage (if any), etc. They have sliding scales for the costs of the retreats based on ability to pay. However, $5,000 does sound very high. What program was that for?

As a 501-c3 non-profit they are required to show their balance sheets so you may be able to find it on their website or if you contact them, they could send you a pdf copy.

Return to “Theravāda for the modern world”