Cyber Monks

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Cyber Monks

Postby sherubtse » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:39 am

Here is something which I find interesting:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bhikkhu-B ... noscript=1

I think there are several other monks on Facebook, either directly or indirectly. Here is another example:

http://www.facebook.com/people/Bhante-S ... /504985696

What do others think of the modern "cyber monk"?

Best wishes,
Sherubtse
sherubtse

Re: Cyber Monks

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:00 am

Greetings sherubtse,

I can't access Facebook just at the moment in order to have a look at the links provided, but generally speaking I think it's a great blessing that monks are able to participate on the Internet.

Obviously, their first obligation comes to the lay community that supports them, but I think it's excellent that if they find spare time, they use this time to support and participate in online communities, be it on Facebook, through maintenance and devleopment of their own websites (ala Bhikkhus Pesala, Samahita, Gavesako etc.) or at forums such as Dhamma Wheel.

I also think their lay supporters would be pleased to know that not only are their offerings helping to support their local Dhamma community, but are also helping to support the growth of the Dhamma more globally.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:32 am

Hi Sherubtse,
sherubtse wrote:What do others think of the modern "cyber monk"?

As opposed to...the ancient cyber-monk?
Sorry, someone had to ask it!

They're just bhikkhus with an online presence that allows them to communicate with other monks and lay people from around the world. And I don't think that makes them intrinsically different to say, if they didn't have an online presence.
By the way, I think about 20 per cent of my facebook friends are monks.
Kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:40 am

sherubtse wrote:

I think it's a good thing. It is an excellent way to reach more people, teach more, and explain the Dhamma to a very diverse group from around the world. And you can communicate at the speed of light with someone on the other side of the planet in a rural area who may not have access to teachers, viharas, etc.

The teachings they provide, the explanations, the Pali instructions, and clarifications, the "Daily Dhamma Drops" etc., all price-less.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:00 am

Greetings Ben,

Ben wrote:By the way, I think about 20 per cent of my facebook friends are monks.

When I look at my Facebook "Recommendations" it's nearly full of monks I've never heard of! Against one of these recommendations Facebook even said we have 17 mutual friends!

Metta,
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby appicchato » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:30 am

retrofuturist wrote:...their own websites (ala Bhikkhus Pesala, Samahita, Gavesako etc.)

Links?... :coffee:
appicchato

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:47 am

The Matrix is everywhere you know!!!!!

:spy:

I have loads of contacts who are monks on facebook
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:18 am

Greetings bhante,

appicchato wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:...their own websites (ala Bhikkhus Pesala, Samahita, Gavesako etc.)

Bhikkhu Pesala's - http://www.aimwell.org/
Bhikkhu Samahita's - www.what-buddha-taught.net/
Bhikkhu Gavesako's - http://www.bodhi-vihara.org and http://www.youtube.com/user/dhammatube

Enjoy.

Metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:44 am

Hi Retro
retrofuturist wrote:Bhikkhu Gavesako's - http://www.bodhi-vihara.org and http://www.youtube.com/user/dhammatube

I don't see Bhante Gavesako on the monestary link (in the english sections anyway) or is Venerable just dealing with the site admin?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby jcsuperstar » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:00 am

im friends with like 50 gazillion monks on facebook, some i chat with others not so much, depends on their level on english.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:27 am

Greetings Manapa,

Manapa wrote:I don't see Bhante Gavesako on the monestary link (in the english sections anyway) or is Venerable just dealing with the site admin?

Hmm... I just followed the link and it looks different to how I remember it. Or maybe I'm thinking of another site? Either way, I took the URL from venerable Gavesako's profile.

Metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby appicchato » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:52 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings bhante,

appicchato wrote:

Bhikkhu Pesala's - http://www.aimwell.org/
Bhikkhu Samahita's - http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/
Bhikkhu Gavesako's - http://www.bodhi-vihara.org and http://www.youtube.com/user/dhammatube

Enjoy.

Metta,

Thank you Paul... :smile:
appicchato

Postby gavesako » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:52 am

Hello :smile:

I am entering "second Vassa" (i.e. one month later than the first Vassa) at the Bodhi Vihara in Freising, near Munich airport. The website is just being updated. There is an active Buddhist group in the Munich area and plenty of opportunities to share Dhamma. Also a nice forest nearby for meditation and the Alps on the horizon (I am going there first for some walking exercise). The funny thing is that Freising is literally the "heart of German catholicism" and the Vihara is about 100 meters from the church in which the current Pope was ordained as a priest! So it is understandable that the local church representatives are getting somewhat disturbed by the Buddhist dhammadutas ("missionaries") moving in so close to them... and walking on Pindapata every day in the old town as well. History is being reversed. :buddha1:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
gavesako

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:17 am

gavesako wrote:Hello :smile:

I am entering "second Vassa" (i.e. one month later than the first Vassa) at the Bodhi Vihara in Freising, near Munich airport. The website is just being updated. There is an active Buddhist group in the Munich area and plenty of opportunities to share Dhamma. Also a nice forest nearby for meditation and the Alps on the horizon (I am going there first for some walking exercise). The funny thing is that Freising is literally the "heart of German catholicism" and the Vihara is about 100 meters from the church in which the current Pope was ordained as a priest! So it is understandable that the local church representatives are getting somewhat disturbed by the Buddhist dhammadutas ("missionaries") moving in so close to them... and walking on Pindapata every day in the old town as well. History is being reversed. :buddha1:

good times ahead I am sure Bhante!
hope you have a chance to take some video of the centre and surrounding area
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby Ben » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:53 am

Hi Bhante
gavesako wrote:I am entering "second Vassa"

I wish you the very best for your retrreat!
Metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby sherubtse » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:32 am

Ben wrote:Hi Sherubtse,
sherubtse wrote:What do others think of the modern "cyber monk"?

As opposed to...the ancient cyber-monk?
Sorry, someone had to ask it!

Ben

Cute, Ben. Cute. :smile:

Best wishes,
Sherubtse
sherubtse

Postby Individual » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:55 pm

sherubtse wrote:Here is something which I find interesting:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bhikkhu-B ... noscript=1

I think there are several other monks on Facebook, either directly or indirectly. Here is another example:

http://www.facebook.com/people/Bhante-S ... /504985696

Best wishes,
Sherubtse

For a while now, I've wished that traditional Theravadin monks would get together and do a Buddhist version of the Jewish site AskMoses.com.

AskMoses.com is a site where people can speak directly to experts in Jewish belief and law (usually Rabbis, although there are other teachers too, including women)... Questions can be about anything at all. They also have a compendium of commonly asked questions and their responses.

Well, I thought the same sort of thing for Buddhists, with Buddhist monks, would be neat. It could definitely help a lot of people, sort of as free spiritual counseling in a way that's more accessible than having to travel to a Sangha or directly find a monk and speak with him. Having a similar compendium of Q&As (although there's already lots of info on Accesstoinsight, Buddhanet, and Dhamma Wiki) would help dispel common misconceptions about Buddhism.

This facebook thing, though, seems pretty neat, though, too. I think modern frameworks for teaching dhamma, like "cyber monks", are great!
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:08 pm

Individual wrote:For a while now, I've wished that traditional Theravadin monks would get together and do a Buddhist version of the Jewish site AskMoses.com.

ther is a ask a monk site by a zen monk, not exactly a cross school thing but defenetly a start
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby gavesako » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:31 pm

I had some thoughts in the winter about the ancient cyber-monks! :alien:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbMVlZVOFjc
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
gavesako

Postby BlackBird » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:14 am

gavesako wrote:I had some thoughts in the winter about the ancient cyber-monks! :alien:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbMVlZVOFjc

Thank you Bhante for the talk. It was good.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Return to Theravāda for the modern world