Cyber Monks

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
sherubtse

Cyber Monks

Post by sherubtse »

Here is something which I find interesting:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bhikkhu-B ... noscript=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think there are several other monks on Facebook, either directly or indirectly. Here is another example:

http://www.facebook.com/people/Bhante-S ... /504985696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do others think of the modern "cyber monk"?

Best wishes,
Sherubtse
retrofuturist

Re: Cyber Monks

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings sherubtse,

I can't access Facebook just at the moment in order to have a look at the links provided, but generally speaking I think it's a great blessing that monks are able to participate on the Internet.

Obviously, their first obligation comes to the lay community that supports them, but I think it's excellent that if they find spare time, they use this time to support and participate in online communities, be it on Facebook, through maintenance and devleopment of their own websites (ala Bhikkhus Pesala, Samahita, Gavesako etc.) or at forums such as Dhamma Wheel.

I also think their lay supporters would be pleased to know that not only are their offerings helping to support their local Dhamma community, but are also helping to support the growth of the Dhamma more globally.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Sherubtse,
sherubtse wrote:What do others think of the modern "cyber monk"?
As opposed to...the ancient cyber-monk?
Sorry, someone had to ask it!

They're just bhikkhus with an online presence that allows them to communicate with other monks and lay people from around the world. And I don't think that makes them intrinsically different to say, if they didn't have an online presence.
By the way, I think about 20 per cent of my facebook friends are monks.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

sherubtse wrote:
What do others think of the modern "cyber monk"?
I think it's a good thing. It is an excellent way to reach more people, teach more, and explain the Dhamma to a very diverse group from around the world. And you can communicate at the speed of light with someone on the other side of the planet in a rural area who may not have access to teachers, viharas, etc.

The teachings they provide, the explanations, the Pali instructions, and clarifications, the "Daily Dhamma Drops" etc., all price-less.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ben,
Ben wrote:By the way, I think about 20 per cent of my facebook friends are monks.
When I look at my Facebook "Recommendations" it's nearly full of monks I've never heard of! Against one of these recommendations Facebook even said we have 17 mutual friends!

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

retrofuturist wrote:...their own websites (ala Bhikkhus Pesala, Samahita, Gavesako etc.)
Links?... :coffee:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

The Matrix is everywhere you know!!!!!

:spy:

I have loads of contacts who are monks on facebook
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante,
appicchato wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:...their own websites (ala Bhikkhus Pesala, Samahita, Gavesako etc.)
Bhikkhu Pesala's - http://www.aimwell.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Samahita's - http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako's - http://www.bodhi-vihara.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.youtube.com/user/dhammatube" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy.

Metta,
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Retro
retrofuturist wrote:Bhikkhu Gavesako's - http://www.bodhi-vihara.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.youtube.com/user/dhammatube" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't see Bhante Gavesako on the monestary link (in the english sections anyway) or is Venerable just dealing with the site admin?

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

im friends with like 50 gazillion monks on facebook, some i chat with others not so much, depends on their level on english.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Manapa,
Manapa wrote:I don't see Bhante Gavesako on the monestary link (in the english sections anyway) or is Venerable just dealing with the site admin?
Hmm... I just followed the link and it looks different to how I remember it. Or maybe I'm thinking of another site? Either way, I took the URL from venerable Gavesako's profile.

Metta,
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings bhante,
appicchato wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala's - http://www.aimwell.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Samahita's - http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako's - http://www.bodhi-vihara.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.youtube.com/user/dhammatube" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy.

Metta,
Thank you Paul... :smile:
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Hello :smile:

I am entering "second Vassa" (i.e. one month later than the first Vassa) at the Bodhi Vihara in Freising, near Munich airport. The website is just being updated. There is an active Buddhist group in the Munich area and plenty of opportunities to share Dhamma. Also a nice forest nearby for meditation and the Alps on the horizon (I am going there first for some walking exercise). The funny thing is that Freising is literally the "heart of German catholicism" and the Vihara is about 100 meters from the church in which the current Pope was ordained as a priest! So it is understandable that the local church representatives are getting somewhat disturbed by the Buddhist dhammadutas ("missionaries") moving in so close to them... and walking on Pindapata every day in the old town as well. History is being reversed. :buddha1:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

gavesako wrote:Hello :smile:

I am entering "second Vassa" (i.e. one month later than the first Vassa) at the Bodhi Vihara in Freising, near Munich airport. The website is just being updated. There is an active Buddhist group in the Munich area and plenty of opportunities to share Dhamma. Also a nice forest nearby for meditation and the Alps on the horizon (I am going there first for some walking exercise). The funny thing is that Freising is literally the "heart of German catholicism" and the Vihara is about 100 meters from the church in which the current Pope was ordained as a priest! So it is understandable that the local church representatives are getting somewhat disturbed by the Buddhist dhammadutas ("missionaries") moving in so close to them... and walking on Pindapata every day in the old town as well. History is being reversed. :buddha1:
good times ahead I am sure Bhante!
hope you have a chance to take some video of the centre and surrounding area

John Stuart Mill
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Bhante
gavesako wrote: I am entering "second Vassa"
I wish you the very best for your retrreat!
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..