Is being a cook wrong livelihood?

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Is being a cook wrong livelihood?

Postby Dr. Dukkha » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:53 pm

From what I've read, Buddha said that business in meat is one of the five types of business that we should not engage in. I'm a vegetarian myself and I would like to cook for vegetarians at a restaurant of the like. But in order to graduate from culinary school, I would have to cook meat as well.
Is this considered wrong livelihood to cook the meat? What if I can't find a job at a vegetarian restaurant and have to cook meet for a living? Would being in that business be wrong livelihood?
"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting."
Dr. Dukkha

Re: Is being a cook wrong livelihood?

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:14 pm

Greetings,

Dr. Dukkha wrote:Is this considered wrong livelihood to cook the meat?

In the context of Right Livelihood, my understanding is that it's the conversion from animal to meat which is the issue. i.e. killing.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby nibbuti » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:20 pm

Dr. Dukkha wrote:Is being a cook wrong livelihood?

Only if you're a bad cook.

:stirthepot:

But in order to graduate from culinary school, I would have to cook meat as well.
Is this considered wrong livelihood to cook the meat? What if I can't find a job at a vegetarian restaurant and have to cook meet for a living?

Obviously, one needs some kind of schooling and a job to get by in this world.

So the principle of least harm would be: to graduate even if you have to cook meat for that, and to look for a vegetarian restaurant, even if you have to work at a non-vegetarian restaurant for the time being.

:yingyang:
nibbuti

Postby Dhammanando » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:50 pm

Dr. Dukkha wrote:From what I've read, Buddha said that business in meat is one of the five types of business that we should not engage in

The term ‘maṃsavaṇijjā’ means ‘butchery’, but in the traditional sense, not the modern one. Traditionally a butcher’s trade consisted in killing animals and then selling their meat; it is this that is wrong livelihood. Its modern equivalent would be the abattoir business. What we nowadays called a ‘butcher’ is usually just a meat-seller, not an animal-killer. This is not included in wrong livelihood. The same consideration applies to other occupations involved with the subsequent processing of the meat, including your own.
    ...and this thought arose in the mind of the Blessed One:
    “Who lives without reverence lives miserably.”
    Uruvela Sutta, A.ii.20

It were endless to dispute upon everything that is disputable.
    — William Penn Some Fruits of Solitude,
Dhammanando

Postby SarathW » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:37 am

This may help you as well.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16659
SarathW

Postby Dr. Dukkha » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:38 pm

Thanks, guys! That helps so much!
"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting."
Dr. Dukkha

Postby Monkey Mind » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:42 am

In culinary school, you might be required to cook live lobster, crab, squid, etc.

Perhaps you can privately request permission to be excused from anything like that.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Monkey Mind

Postby chownah » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:08 pm

In Thailand there are Buddhists who eat live crabs from time to time. You eat the very small ones (they are land crabs and live in the rice fields).......they are just bite size......the trick is to hold them the right way so they can't pinch you when you put them into your mouth and then bite them quickly. They're Ok......the shell is soft when they are so small but still sort of gritty.
chownah
chownah

Return to Theravāda for the modern world