Goenka chanting of Āsevana Paccaya

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Dhammabodhi

Goenka chanting of Āsevana Paccaya

Post by Dhammabodhi »

Dear all,

I recently attended a 3-day Goenka retreat for old students. On the last day the morning chanting included a section from Āsevana Paccaya (Patthāna Dhamma of the Abhidhamma pitaka), which I found very powerful and uplifting. I have been trying to find it online, but haven't been successful yet.

Edit: the particular section is the following (source):
Āsevana paccayoti
purimā purimā kusalā dhammā pacchimānam pacchimānam kusalānam dhammānam asevana paccayena paccayo.
purima purima akusalā dhammā pacchimānam pacchimānam akusalānam dhammānam asevana paccayena paccayo.
purimā purimā kiriyābyākatā dhamā pacchimānam pacchimānam kiriyābyākatānam dhammānam asevana paccayena paccayo.

In asevana paccayo or repetition condition_
When foregoing (purimā) dhamm are kusala dhamma (wholesome dhamma) the following dhamma (pacchimānam) are also kusala dhamma. The foregoing dhamma serve as conditioning dhamma or paccaya dhamma or supporting dhamma or causal dhamma and the following dhamma are pacayuppanna dhamma or resultant dhamma or supported dhamma or conditioned dhamma.
If anyone can send me a link (or the audio file itself) for this I would be grateful!

:anjali:
Dhammabodhi
"Take rest, take rest."-S.N.Goenka
Ben

Re: Goenka chanting of Āsevana Paccaya

Post by Ben »

From memory, the discourses for the three-day course are available from the old student section at Pariyatti.org.
I don't know whether it includes all of Goenjaji's chantings for that course. If you find out - please let me know.
Many of the instructional, discourses and chantings for the long courses are not available.
If in the event that the file is not available, I recommend U Ba Khin's and Goenkaji's recordings of the Tikapatthana.
With metta,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Patthāna Pāli Chanting with some Burmese harp music intro, then a prologue in Burmese. The recording is excellent quality.

Pali Starts after 6 mins

Paticca Samuppada start at about 7:30

Patthana starts just before 10:00.

Pali Text in Roman Script

• Burmese musical intro • Devotional stanzas in Burmese • 6:10 Anekajāti Pāli from Dhammapada • 7:38 Paticcasamuppāda Pāli • 9:56 Paṭṭhāna Pāli • 10:42 Paritta Pāli • 11:50 Sending metta in Burmese • 17:40 Paṭṭhāna Pāli • 41:55 Metta Paritta • 43:40 Buddha, Dhamma, Saṅghaguṇa • 44:55 Pubbaṇha Sutta Pāli • 45:40 Pubbaṇha Sutta Burmese • 49:54 Sending metta in Burmese
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Dhammabodhi

Post by Dhammabodhi »

Thank you Bhante and Ben,

I tried to find it on Pariyatti with the old student login but there is nothing of this sort there. :(

Bhante, thank you for the Burmese version, although being Indian, Pali spoken in the Burmese accent is unrecognizable to me. I would love to share with you the chanting of Goenkaji, I find it to be very inspiring. When I heard it in the retreat I was in a very blissful state! I think it also helps that his grasp of Pali is impeccable.

Dhammabodhi
randall

Post by randall »

hi Dhammabodhi,

you can find the chant at pariyatti.org, in the old student section under "Morning Chantings (and Ext. Chantings) of S.N. Goenka - Streaming Audio" Day 5, "tikapatthana". around the 21:45 mark for the condition you mentioned above. There is also a video just below that one as well and also a version by U Ba Khin.

and of course Youtube!

this is one is pretty good
http://patthana.blogspot.ca/2008/05/pat ... nting.html

with the text
http://www.abhidhamma.com/Patthana_Paccayaniddesa.pdf

thanks Bhante for sharing the links above!
Dhammabodhi

Post by Dhammabodhi »

Wonderful! Randall, you made my day! Thank you very very much. :bow:

Another version by Goenkaji which is probably the one played at the 3-day retreat: (Patthana dhamma starts at 14:50)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqdUPsh-Wp4

Bhante Pesala, please listen to this!

Dhammabodhi