Daily Practice for Modern Times

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
seizan

Daily Practice for Modern Times

Post by seizan »

Hello Everyone,

I am new to Dhamma Wheel, and new to the Theravada tradition. As I will share in the introductory forum, I am not new to Buddhism- I have spent much time studying Mahayana texts and teachings and was very active in a Zen sangha for an extended period. I have come to the Theravada tradition to learn more about this path and out of a desire to more closely learn what Gotama Buddha taught (understanding the caveats.)

I wanted to share the practice that I put together for daily life, as lived in a busy household. I tried to keep the practice realistic and attainable, but wanted to get thoughts from forum members! I am open to alterations and suggestions.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Tjs ... sp=sharing

The practice I put together is 4 parts: Setting Intention, Taking Refuge, Buddho or Vipassana Bhavana(alternating) and Metta Bhavana. This practice can be completed in about a half hour to 45 minutes, a more realistic time frame for me. I didn't include detailed instructions on the outline, just the "gist."

Is there anything that would be considered "essential" in the Theravada tradition I would be lacking? Throughout the week I would still study dhamma and sutta.

In kindness and love,
Seizan
Ben

Re: Daily Practice for Modern Times

Post by Ben »

Sila (morality), dana (generosity), samadhi bhavana (cultivation of concentration), vipassana bhavana (cultivation of insight), Pariyatti (study).
Meditation is excellent, but it's not everything.
With metta,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Dana - Generosity
Sila - Ethics/Morality
Samadhi - Meditation

These are the three touchstones of my practice as a householder. If anything, orthodox Theravada tends to place more importance on the first two than I have seen in the Seon/Zen communities with which I have been involved.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
seizan

Post by seizan »

Thank you, Ben! Dana is important to daily practice, of course, and you gave me more to research.

Thank you, Khalil Bodhi. Dana and sila are important to me all the time, throughout my day and interactions. I suppose it's the meditation I have to commit to more! I will have to be aware to keep my meditations balanced. The Zen sangha I was involved with actually put a somewhat equal emphasis on those three branches, but that specific group is my only reference. Meditation/sitting was heavily taught, but dana and sila were much discussed in daily posts and interactions and practiced regularly (different terminology for sila, but it was still given focus.) I'm glad these concepts are familiar. I will consider them pillars, as well! :thanks:

Much metta,
Seizan
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

Hi seizan,
It's admirable that you put Metta and Mindfulness practice into your daily routine. That is very recommendable! :smile:
The routine looks good and compact. If it works for you, roll with it.

I'd have two suggestions for you if you want to integrate Sila and the Sutta study more systematically into your routine (both are important):

1. Sutta Study:
It's invaluable to know what the Buddha actually taught. Take a look here.You also get some good suggestions how this can be implemented into regular practice here.
Keeping a sutta diary and reading daily can be as quick as 2 minutes a day or take up to 10 minutes or longer (Shorter lecture: The Dhammapada, Therigatha, theragatha, many suttas in the Samyutta Nikaya,... - Bhikkhu Bodhi's excellent "In the Buddha's words" is a highly recommended piece of literature, it consists of "core"suttas that give an excellent overview over the original teachings of the Buddha. It would also make for a good "one-sutta-per-day" read)

2. Sila: You can take up Uposatha Observance days. It's a very common tradition in Theravada Buddhism and taking up the 10 silas, even if for one day, was greatly praised by the Buddha. Feel welcome to join the "Uposatha Observance Club" on facebook if you look for some company for that, too :smile:.
There are some people who take up the ten precepts not during the actual half/full/new moon days but take the following saturday or sunday. Either way observing the ten precepts is very beneficial.
Training yourself in Sila in general would be an excellent thing for the practice and there will always be plenty of opportunities throughout the day.

Best wishes,
Alobha
seizan

Post by seizan »

Thank you, Alobha!

I love the idea of a sutta diary, I had started one once long ago but it fell by the wayside very quickly. I think it's a great suggestion, one I will be sure to incorporate. Thank you also for the resources!

I currently have Thich Nhat Hanh's Awakening of the Heart, which covers:

Anapanasati Sutta
Satipatthana Sutta
Bhaddekarratta Sutta
Alagaddupama Sutta
Vajracchedika Prajnaparamita Sutta
Prajnaparamita Hrdaya Sutta
Kaccayanagotta Sutta
Fo Shuo Ba Da Ren Jue Jing Sutta
Mangala Sutta

Is this a good place to start? How do Theravada practitioners feel about commentary from teachers of other schools? I particularly like the Dalai Lama's sutta commentaries. I feel like they are all beings on the same path with vast amounts of wisdom to pass down, regardless of the lineage- is this an acceptable point of view, or should I consider a different perspective?

I will also look into the Uposatha Observance group, thank you once more!

With Metta,
Seizan
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

seizan wrote:I feel like they are all beings on the same path with vast amounts of wisdom to pass down, regardless of the lineage- is this an acceptable point of view, or should I consider a different perspective?
As always, the trick is whether or not one is able to bring wise attention to bear on these words.

So, un/wise attention:
MN 2 wrote:“What are the things unfit for attention that he attends to? They are things such that when he attends to them, the unarisen taint of sensual desire arises in him and the arisen taint of sensual desire increases, the unarisen taint of being arises in him and the arisen taint of being increases, the unarisen taint of ignorance arises in him and the arisen taint of ignorance increases. These are the things unfit for attention that he attends to.

And what are the things fit for attention that he does not attend to? They are things such that when he attends to them, the unarisen taint of sensual desire does not arise in him and the arisen taint of sensual desire is abandoned, the unarisen taint of being does not arise in him and the arisen taint of being is abandoned, the unarisen taint of ignorance does not arise in him and the arisen taint of ignorance is abandoned. These are the things fit for attention that he does not attend to. By attending to things unfit for attention and by not attending to things fit for attention, both unarisen taints arise in him and arisen taints increase.

“He attends wisely: ‘This is suffering’; he attends wisely: ‘This is the origin of suffering’; he attends wisely: ‘This is the cessation of suffering’; he attends wisely: ‘This is the way leading to the cessation of suffering.’ When he attends wisely in this way, three fetters are abandoned in him: personality view, doubt, and adherence to rules and observances. These are called the taints that should be abandoned by seeing.
So then, with respect to the words of others about the Dhamma:
DN 16 wrote:If, when these are laid alongside the Discourses, compared with the Discipline, they do not fit in with the Discourses, they do not compare well with the Discipline, you may here come to this conclusion: ‘Certainly this is not the Gracious One’s word, it is not well learned by that Community,’ and, monks, you should abandon it.

If when these are laid alongside the Discourses, compared with the Discipline, they do fit in with the Discourses, they do compare well with the Discipline, you may here come to this conclusion: ‘Certainly this is the Gracious One’s word, it is well-learned by that Community.’
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

Seizan,

Any practice that you can do consistently every single day is good practice. Welcome aboard!

"What The Buddha Taught" by Walpoa Rahula is a very SHORT and very CLEAR book that despite its small size completely describes the essential Buddhist teachings. If you read it, you will know the essentials of Theravada. It is old enough to be in most libraries and Googling on it should find you a free PDF copy of the book.
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
chownah

Post by chownah »

It seems that your daily practice is all done sitting down. Part of the buddha's daily practice was going on alms rounds. Could it be that every moment and every activity was part of the buddha's daily practice? If one wants every moment and every activity to be part of ones daily practice then the first step is to get up off of that cushion.
chownah
seizan

Post by seizan »

Thank you for all the replies!

Chownah- I was trying to not be too lengthy so didn't mention practices off the cushion! Meditation and home practice are the elements I struggle with routinely integrating. In daily life, I try to align my actions and interactions with "Buddha is as Buddha does." I've spent the majority of my Buddhist studies on the idea of bodhissatvas from many viewpoints (bodhisattvas, Kannon, Kuan Yin, Avalokiteshvara, etc.) I try to always keep my vows and bodhissatva practices forefront. I reflect a lot on the philosophies of karma, and try to consider my "karma garden" when making decisions of any sort, from responses to actions. I give when I can, I offer compassion when I can and generally walk the walk (always, always with room for improvement.)

I would have to agree that all that Buddha did was his practice, and all that we do should be considered our practice. I just struggle with the formality and meditations at times, so I'm attempting to cultivate a solid routine with that. Without concentration and insight, the path becomes more difficult to follow!

With metta,
Seizan
chownah

Post by chownah »

seizan wrote:Thank you for all the replies!

Chownah- I was trying to not be too lengthy so didn't mention practices off the cushion! Meditation and home practice are the elements I struggle with routinely integrating. In daily life, I try to align my actions and interactions with "Buddha is as Buddha does." I've spent the majority of my Buddhist studies on the idea of bodhissatvas from many viewpoints (bodhisattvas, Kannon, Kuan Yin, Avalokiteshvara, etc.) I try to always keep my vows and bodhissatva practices forefront. I reflect a lot on the philosophies of karma, and try to consider my "karma garden" when making decisions of any sort, from responses to actions. I give when I can, I offer compassion when I can and generally walk the walk (always, always with room for improvement.)

I would have to agree that all that Buddha did was his practice, and all that we do should be considered our practice. I just struggle with the formality and meditations at times, so I'm attempting to cultivate a solid routine with that. Without concentration and insight, the path becomes more difficult to follow!

With metta,
Seizan
Seizan,
That is a good reply and I appreciate it. I'm suggesting that your routine for meditation is all sitting. I am suggesting that walking meditation is of great benefit. Many people do not realize that concentration can be developed to a substantial degree while walking...or washing dishes...etc. I don't recommend concentration or insight meditation when driving however. Most buddhists seem to really not be aware of the degree of concentration and insight that can be attained while moving......and they seem to not be aware of how developing moving meditation takes the concentration and discernment developed into the entire field of our daily lives which is the place where things happening present a multitude of opportunities for insight.
chownah