Requesting Forgiveness From the Dhamma Wheel Community

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Re: Requesting Forgiveness From the Dhamma Wheel Community

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:39 pm

Hi Chris,
When I was looking for what to put i did check the chanting book on Access to insight which has two one for a group and one for an individual

(When one person is asking forgiveness)

Repeat Namo... three times. Then:
[Mahāthere]* pamādena, dvārattayena kataṃ,
Sabbaṃ aparādhaṃ khamatha me bhante.
(Three times.)

Venerable Sir, may you forgive me for any wrong I have done you out of carelessness in thought, word, or deed.

[* Mahathere is used for very senior & highly respected monks. Change it to There for somewhat less senior monks, Upajjhāye for one's preceptor, Ācariye for one's teacher, and Āyasmante for monks in general.]

Bow down & stay there while the monk says:

Ahaṃ khamāmi, tayā pi me khamitabbaṃ.

I forgive you; may you all also forgive me.

Respond:

Khamāmi bhante.

I forgive you, Venerable Sir.

The monk will then recite a blessing, after which say:

Sādhu bhante.

Very good, Venerable Sir.

BOW THREE TIMES

It seamed a bit pretentious to use this one as it was automatically giving forgiveness so I opted for the one above which I found here http://www.chantpali.org/closing.html#khama_yacana
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Monkey Mind » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:14 pm

Manapa wrote:
Monkey Mind wrote:I was briefly obsessed with your comment about "condescending prat", but I agree with TiltB- I have already learned much from you in my short time here at dhammawheel. All negatives forgiven, I am grateful for your wisdom and participation, and here's to a brave new year!

when was that??

Sorry, Manapa... I am slow to learn that being cheeky on an on-line forum does not always produce the desired results... In this case, I was teasing you about the ONLY thing I have ever read from you that might even remotely be considered an offense worth apologizing for. In came from the Bah Humbug thread:

Manapa wrote:Hi Alan,
shall we get some pitchforks and torches :tongue:

spending time with condescending prats is what I despise, but I have a plan, one reason to leave and I'm off!

Seriously, I am inspired by this thread. I will make a similar amends with loved ones and friends today and tomorrow, to honor the new year.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Monkey Mind

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:40 pm

LOL
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Annapurna » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:03 am

I've also posted a similar thread in another forum and it got lovely replies.
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
Annapurna

Postby Ben » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:24 am

May all beings be at peace
May all beings be free from disease and suffering of any sort
May all beings be liberated.

Whatever merits I may have accrued from wholesome acts of body, speech or mind
I dedicate to you all.

Bhavatu Sabbe Mangelum!

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief

Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Lampang » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:32 am

Thanks for starting this thread. You've inspired/encouraged me to apologise to people to whom I wouldn't otherwise have apologised and so - in the process - look at aspects of my behaviour which are pretty unsavoury and which I need to work on; that's a big present to hand out so thanks, again.
Lampang

Postby cooran » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:48 am

That's wonderful to hear Lampang - a hard thing to do, and deserving of praise!

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Cittasanto » Sun May 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Hi All!
As I missed the birthday, being busy then on retreat, etc I was planning on re-afirming this post made on Dhamma Wheels first birthday, and thought no time like the present!

Manapa wrote:Hi All,
As This is my one year anniversary of my joining Dhamma Wheel community I thought I would take some time to formally ask you all to forgive me for any wrong I have done you out of carelessness in thought, word, or deed.

Kāyena vācā cittena
If by deeds, speech or thoughts
pamādena mayā kataṃ
heedlessly I have committed
Accayaṃ khama me bhante
any wrong-doing, forgive me, O Venerable (Buddha).

Kāyena vācā cittena
pamādena mayā kataṃ
Accayaṃ khama me dhamma
any wrong-doing, forgive me, O Dhamma (Teachings of the Buddha)

Kāyena vācā cittena
pamādena mayā kataṃ
Accayaṃ khama me saṅgha
any wrong-doing, forgive me, O Sangha (Dhamma Wheel Community).
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Sun May 01, 2011 7:39 pm

Manapa,

Anumodana! I, too, ask forgiveness of yourself and any one in this parisaa.

Kāyena vācā cittena
pamādena mayā kataṃ
Accayaṃ khama me bhante
any wrong-doing, forgive me, O Venerable.

Kāyena vācā cittena
pamādena mayā kataṃ
Accayaṃ khama me dhamma
any wrong-doing, forgive me, O Dhamma.

Kāyena vācā cittena
pamādena mayā kataṃ
Accayaṃ khama me saṅgha
any wrong-doing, forgive me, O Sangha.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
Kiva-Theravada Buddhists:http://www.kiva.org/team/theravada_buddhists
Dana on the Interwebs:
http://greatergood.com
http://freerice.com
Khalil Bodhi

Postby Nibbida » Mon May 02, 2011 4:30 am

Thank you all for this thread, and let me add my name to the list of those asking forgiveness for any harm done. Forgiveness, in my understanding, is a species of compassion and the embodiment of what the Buddha teaches us.

"One cannot forgive up to four hundred and ninety-nine times without it becoming the habit structure of one's being. Forgiveness is not an occasional act; it is a permanent attitude.”
--Martin Luther King Jr.

"We cannot be kind while we carry the weight of our resentments...We can be kind only if the past no longer dominates us."
--Piero Ferrucci
"Dispositions of the mind, like limbs of the body, acquire strength by exercise." --Thomas Jefferson

Facebook Meditation Page: http://snurl.com/yoga9vipassana
Nibbida

Postby Reductor » Mon May 02, 2011 5:30 am

I totally forgive you guys for being awesome. Really. No harm done, as far as I have noted.
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby householder » Mon May 02, 2011 7:37 am

Manapa, having met you in person and spoke at length with you on various topics, and having recently provided me with some very helpful information relating to my own (relatively) imminent going forth, your wisdom, humour and considered exchanges with me have been extremely beneficial. So thank you, publicly! I look forward to seeing you as a samanera the next time I visit Amaravati, though I'd imagine we may not be able to speak for as long.

As part of the formal request, I forgive you, but caveat that the only thing I can think of is that you included part of your reply to my PM within the quotes of my original message! :P

And likewise I ask for forgiveness from those on here for anything I may have done to offend - particularly aimed at those I've bombarded with PMs!

With unconditional, indiscriminate, boundless loving-kindness to you all and all beings,

householder
householder

Postby Cittasanto » Thu May 05, 2011 3:19 pm

Thank-you Guys!
and I certainlyforgive you if at all needed... :stirthepot: which isn't the case!

but going on 10day retreat tomorrow :juggling:
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby rowyourboat » Thu May 05, 2011 11:14 pm

I would like to ask formally ask forgiveness for any wrong speech, poor attitudes and general manner, which may or may not have caused offence to any fellow travellers on the path. What a wonderful thread- we do this each night before bed time, at our retreats.

Kāyena vācā cittena
pamādena mayā kataṃ
Accayaṃ khama me bhante

Kāyena vācā cittena
pamādena mayā kataṃ
Accayaṃ khama me dhamma

Kāyena vācā cittena
pamādena mayā kataṃ
Accayaṃ khama me saṅgha
:namaste:
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Postby Nyana » Thu May 12, 2011 5:11 am

Hi all,

I would also like to take a moment to ask for forgiveness if any of my more provocative statements and use of language have caused hurt feelings on the part of fellow DW members. May we as dhamma practitioners have enough wisdom to see our shared unity, and may this lead us to acknowledge and respect our shared diversity.

Happy, at rest, may all beings be happy at heart. Whatever beings there may be, weak or strong, without exception, long, large, middling, short, subtle, blatant, seen & unseen, near & far, born & seeking birth: May all beings be happy at heart.

Mettā,

Geoff
Nyana

Postby christopher::: » Thu May 12, 2011 5:53 am

Wow. This is the most inspiring discussion thread i've read in quite some time. You are all such wonderful people of the Dhamma, a true inspiration for all who come here as members, guests & visitors. I have never felt deeply offended by anyone here, but I may have offended some, for which i apologize.

I also hope and pray with all my heart that i can be a better person for all those in my local world, family and friends, hope they can forgive me for any wrong I have done out of carelessness in thought, word, or deed. Most importantly, I hope and pray that I will be much much less careless in the future - both online and offline - in thought, word and deed.

Thank you again, all of you, for your beautiful example as a Buddhist sangha and community. The way you live and breathe the Dhamma is truly inspiring.

:heart:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
christopher:::

Postby retrofuturist » Thu May 12, 2011 6:03 am

Greetings,

Ñāṇa wrote:I would also like to take a moment to ask for forgiveness if any of my more provocative statements and use of language have caused hurt feelings on the part of fellow DW members. May we as dhamma practitioners have enough wisdom to see our shared unity, and may this lead us to acknowledge and respect our shared diversity.

Happy, at rest, may all beings be happy at heart. Whatever beings there may be, weak or strong, without exception, long, large, middling, short, subtle, blatant, seen & unseen, near & far, born & seeking birth: May all beings be happy at heart.

Well said Geoff... I'll sign up for that one too.

Sometimes the challenging questions can be difficult to respond to, particularly if they are perceived to be a direct challenge or threat to one's beliefs or respected teachers. No doubt there's some people who are already totally at ease with their current approach, do not wish to revisit it, and are comfortable and confident just striving on diligently in order to reach their destination. I respect that.

If that might be you at any point in time, please let me know and I will happily desist.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:07 am

Hi All,
Well looks like it is that time of year again, and as such I would like to re-establish this post and intention here as-well as elsewhere.

I don't particularly mind if you do not wish to accept it or do, But I do extend this to you also.

Kāyena vācā cittena
pamādena mayā kataṃ
Accayaṃ khama me bhante

Kāyena vācā cittena
pamādena mayā kataṃ
Accayaṃ khama me dhamma

Kāyena vācā cittena
pamādena mayā kataṃ
Accayaṃ khama me saṅgha

p.s. any questions regarding this post may of been answered sufficiently earlier in the threads history so please read the previous posts if you are new this year or not seen this post before for whatever reason!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby Vardali » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:53 pm

Lovely sentiment :)
Enjoy the retreat!
:anjali:
Vardali

Postby Ytrog » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:49 pm

What a wonderful way to start a new year. I would also like to join the request. :anjali:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.

mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments

If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Ytrog

PreviousNext

Return to Theravāda for the modern world