Uposatha Questions

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
theravada_guy

Uposatha Questions

Post by theravada_guy »

Greetings all,

Today was the Full Moon Uposatha Day. I did not take the Eight Precepts, but only the Five. I wanted to take the Eight, but I have medications I have to take in the evening, so I didn't think I could commit to it. Does taking medications after noon break the precept of taking food at improper time, or is medication exempt from this? The medications are in pill form, and I will be taking them for the rest of my life. I really want to observe the Eight Precepts on Uposatha days. I really don't want to be left out of this observance.

Also, regarding the last precept of not taking high seats and luxurious beds, what exactly does this entail? Does it mean no chairs and sleeping on the floor? Sleeping on the floor is no problem, but I do sit on the bed to read and be on the computer. If sleeping and sitting on the floor for reading and computer usage is necessary, I can do that. I just wanted a clarification on this one.

Nothing is a problem, except the medication issue. I generally don't watch television most of the day anyway, unless I'm getting ready for bed, and even that small amount, I can easily cut out a few times a month. I don't listen to music unless I'm in the car. And that's just for noise most of the time. There again, I can turn off the radio with a turn of the volume knob. So, as you can see, it's all doable for me. And, I'm willing to do it as well. It's just that one pesky thing that raises an issue. I seriously don't want to be cut out from taking the Eight Precepts just because I have to take some pills in the evening.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me on this topic.
With mettā,

TG
notself

Re: Uposatha Questions

Post by notself »

It is my understanding that medication can be taken at any time required. I will try to find a link for you.
Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he is indeed the noblest victor who conquers himself. ---Dhp 103
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Food and medication are not the same thing, the precepts do not include limitations of prescription medications.

check out the Ariyavamsa sutta.

As for the seating off the top of my head the Buddhist Monastic code, Thanissaro says anything higher than 18 inches I think maybe centameters but it is off the to of my head. essentially it doesn't discount standard seats and beds around today by the measurements he came up with but always better to play on the safe side I guess! although if it is part of your job that would be exempt as it is out of your control as to how the computer is set up for one day a week.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
theravada_guy

Post by theravada_guy »

Greetings Manapa,

I didn't see the differentiation between food and medications. Could you please clarify? I'm not too great at understanding the suttas yet. Hopefully, with time and more reading, I will be able to understand them more easily.

P.S.-I read Bhikku Thanisarro's translation from Access to Insight.
With mettā,

TG
theravada_guy

Post by theravada_guy »

Manapa,

Is the Buddhist Monastic Code available in hard copy book form? Or is it only available online and in PDF? I have the PDF version (both volumes) but haven't looked into it too much. I've only read "The Manual of the Bhikku" as far as the patimokkha and other Sangha related texts.
With mettā,

TG
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

theravada_guy wrote:Greetings Manapa,

I didn't see the differentiation between food and medications. Could you please clarify? I'm not too great at understanding the suttas yet. Hopefully, with time and more reading, I will be able to understand them more easily.

P.S.-I read Bhikku Thanisarro's translation from Access to Insight.
shoot thinking of the four requisite chant not the Customs???
AN 7.64 Dhammaññu Sutta
"And how is a monk one with a sense of moderation? There is the case where a monk knows moderation in accepting robes, almsfood, lodgings, & medicinal requisites for curing the sick. If he didn't know moderation in accepting robes, almsfood, lodgings, & medicinal requisites for curing the sick, he wouldn't be said to be one with a sense of moderation. So it's because he does know moderation in accepting robes, almsfood, lodgings, & medicinal requisites for curing the sick, that he is said to be one with a sense of moderation. This is one with a sense of Dhamma, a sense of meaning, a sense of himself, & a sense of moderation.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

theravada_guy wrote:Manapa,

Is the Buddhist Monastic Code available in hard copy book form? Or is it only available online and in PDF? I have the PDF version (both volumes) but haven't looked into it too much. I've only read "The Manual of the Bhikku" as far as the patimokkha and other Sangha related texts.
you can get it in book form but don't know where from?

John Stuart Mill
theravada_guy

Post by theravada_guy »

Okay, just so I'm clear, I am allowed to take the Eight Precepts, even if I have to take the pills after noon?
With mettā,

TG
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

yes, as long as it isn't for recreational purposes your fine.

John Stuart Mill
theravada_guy

Post by theravada_guy »

Okay, thanks Manapa! Phew. So...Since I didn't take the Eight Precepts, is it okay to watch tv and sleep in bed tonight...or not? Anyway...

:woohoo:

:anjali:
With mettā,

TG
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

theravada_guy wrote:Is the Buddhist Monastic Code available in hard copy book form
Write Thanissaro Bhikkhu at his wat (watmetta.org)...
theravada_guy

Post by theravada_guy »

Thanks Venerable! I kinda started to figure that out too...
With mettā,

TG
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

theravada_guy wrote:Okay, thanks Manapa! Phew. So...Since I didn't take the Eight Precepts, is it okay to watch tv and sleep in bed tonight...or not? Anyway...

:woohoo:

:anjali:
it is!
but don't worry about the details to much, reflect on the precepts and ask questions if you are unsure. I live by the eight all the time but it is impractical for me to eat before noon as most days I cook for my mother when she gets home or it is when I am given the food.

reflection on the four requisites

Wisely reflecting, I use the robe: only to ward off cold, to ward off heat, to ward off the touch of flies, mosquitoes, wind, burning and creeping things, only for the sake of modesty.

Wisely reflecting, I use almsfood: not for fun, not for pleasure, not for fattening, not for beautification, only for the maintenance and nourishment of this body, for keeping it healthy, for helping with the Holy Life; thinking thus, ‘I will allay hunger without overeating, so that I may continue to live blamelessly and at ease.’

Wisely reflecting, I use the lodging: only to ward off cold, to ward off heat, to ward off the touch of flies, mosquitoes, wind, burning and creeping things, only to remove the danger from weather, and for living in seclusion.

Wisely reflecting, I use supports for the sick and medicinal requisites: only to ward off painful feelings that have arisen, for the maximum freedom from disease.

John Stuart Mill
theravada_guy

Post by theravada_guy »

I've read that reflection. That can be applied to us upasakas and upasikas as well. :smile: I mean, it's not almsfood, but food in general. Good words to live by to cut down on craving and attachment, plus cutting out some suffering in the process.
With mettā,

TG
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

well there is this sutta to lay people which suggests it can be applied to the laity, and considering that lay followers also have some precepts in common even if temporarily it stands to reason that it should be

Pīti sutta, Aṅguttara Nikāya 5.176
"Householders, you give the community of mendicants requisites of robes, alms food, a place to sleep, & medicine to support the sick, but a householder should not be pleased simply with the thought of, ‘we provide the community of mendicants requisites of robes, alms food, a place to sleep, & medicine to support the sick.’ Therefore, householders you should practice in this way also, ‘we shall from time to time, abide having calmed in the joy of seclusion also.’ This is the way a householder should also practice.”

John Stuart Mill