Alan Wallace on Modern Vipassana

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Re: Alan Wallace on Modern Vipassana

Postby jcsuperstar » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:18 am

probably not since that is mahyana stuff, modern vipassana would be grounded in Theravada.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby Journey » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:28 pm

Alan, right in the beginning of Venerable Bhikkhu Bodhi's response to Wallace - [see link below] - he mentions appreciating Wallace's position and thanks Wallace for a tape he had made saying that he would play the side where Wallace criticized Batchelor's view, when he met a monk who would lean toward Batchelor's view.

http://shamatha.org/sites/default/files/article/Bhikkhu_Bodhi_Correspondence.pdf
Journey

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:53 pm

Journey wrote:

Alan, right in the beginning of Venerable Bhikkhu Bodhi's response to Wallace - [see link below] - he mentions appreciating Wallace's position and thanks Wallace for a tape he had made saying that he would play the side where Wallace criticized Batchelor's view, when he met a monk who would lean toward Batchelor's view.

http://shamatha.org/sites/default/files/article/Bhikkhu_Bodhi_Correspondence.pdf
I am not sure the point of this comment, but Wallace in this exchange does not acquit himself very well. On page 15-17 Ven Bodhi responds at length to Wallace's question about the wholesome aspect of bare attention, which Wallace, as if he had not read it at all (or anything else Ven Bodhi said in the lead up to this), then goes on with the silly Green Beret/sniper business again to which Ven Bodhi responds: I believe I already covered the qualms expressed in “AW 4” with the following words in “BB 4”: and then Ven Bodhi repeats part of his answer already given and expands even further on his point. Wallace does not even acknowledge that he missed what Ven Bodhi point is, much less correct his point of view. So much for Wallace.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby PeterB » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:20 pm

Journey wrote:

The view he is referring to is Bachelor's view that monasticism would play only a marginal role in western Buddhism..
A view incidentally that is shared by more than a few monks...
PeterB

Postby bazzaman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:02 am

Last edited by bazzaman on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
bazzaman

Postby Reductor » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:29 am

bazzaman wrote:Please excuse my presumption for jumping in at this late stage with a possibly irrelevant reference. But Bhikkhu Bodhi's 1997 review of "Buddhism Without Beliefs" in the J.B.E. was one that I found very interesting.
In case anyone hasn't read it ... :
http://www.buddhistethics.org/5/batch1.htm

That was interesting Bazzaman. Thanks.
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby PeterB » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:03 am

Well he ( Bhikkhu Bodhi ) would say that wouldnt he ?
PeterB

Postby Journey » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:51 pm

tiltbillings wrote:
Journey wrote:

I am not sure the point of this comment,

I was responding to alan, that was the point of my commenting. :thinking: uh hope that helps you?
Last edited by Journey on Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Journey

Postby Journey » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:51 pm

bazzaman wrote:Please excuse my presumption for jumping in at this late stage with a possibly irrelevant reference. But Bhikkhu Bodhi's 1997 review of "Buddhism Without Beliefs" in the J.B.E. was one that I found very interesting.
In case anyone hasn't read it ... :
http://www.buddhistethics.org/5/batch1.htm

Thanks, Bazzman.
Journey

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:38 pm

But Bhikkhu Bodhi's 1997 review of "Buddhism Without Beliefs" in the J.B.E. was one that I found very interesting.
Discussion of this would be an interesting new thread. An on topic discussion here would be Wallace's missing or ignoring the point of Ven Bodhi's description of bare attention.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Previous

Return to Theravāda for the modern world