Thailand Buddhist Flag

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Thailand Buddhist Flag

Postby theravada_guy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:19 am

Greetings all,

I've always known about the non-sectarian, standard Buddhist flag. I've just found out about Thailands' Buddhist flag:

http://www.fotw.net/flags/th_buddh.html

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can obtain a flag like this?

Thanks!
With metta,

Justin
theravada_guy

Re: Thailand Buddhist Flag

Postby theravada_guy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:37 am

Nevermind. I found one on eBay for a really good price. Sorry guys, I didn't think of eBay until after I made the above post.

There's 7 left after I purchased one. They're only $3.50 plus $5.00 shipping from Thailand:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=250596078467&Category=13883&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1
With metta,

Justin
theravada_guy

Postby appicchato » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:42 am

I think it's 'international' more than 'Thai'...
appicchato

Postby salmon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:58 am

Hi Bhante and TG,

the Dhammacakra flag is synonymous with Thai Buddhism so I guess in a way it is "kindda" Thai, no?

there is actually another flag that I notice when I was in Sri Lanka and I think it might have had a deeper history than the current recognized flag (in TG's avatar). Let me see if I can dig it up...
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~
salmon

Postby Wind » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:09 am

At first, I thought Theravada_guy was refering to his avatar as the flag and I was a bit confused. :rofl:

Yea the Thai Buddhist Flag is very nice. :thumbsup:
Wind

Postby salmon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:26 am

I found it! I saw this flag in the tooth relic temple. I think it's very nice.
Attachments
buddhist_flag.jpg
buddhist_flag.jpg (498.19 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
salmon

Postby appicchato » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:35 am

...the Thai Buddhist Flag is very nice. :thumbsup:

It's a funny world...thirty three unbroken years in Thailand and never seen a one...
appicchato

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:38 am

Greetings,

appicchato wrote:

It's a funny world...thirty three unbroken years in Thailand and never seen a one...

It reminds me of a color-shifted version of the Indian flag.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby salmon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:50 am

appicchato wrote:

here?

I'm more used to seeing the tiny ones that are strung up with the Thai flags in a bunting.
salmon

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:51 am

appicchato wrote:

you've never seen the orange flag with the dhammawheel on it? they fly at pretty much every thai temple i went to in bangkok.. you need to get out of the country side ajahn :heart: :tongue:

but in seriousness to the OP i think there are in fact 2 versions of this flag at least since i've seen two different versions, the one you posted( and i have one of) and another i've seen at my Wat. maybe one is dhammayuta and the other mahanikaya? i dont know.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:54 am

salmon wrote:
appicchato wrote:

here?

I'm more used to seeing the tiny ones that are strung up with the Thai flags in a bunting.

wat saket seems a lot cleaner in those photos then when i was there. :thinking:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby appicchato » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:19 am

jcsuperstar wrote:...you've never seen the orange flag with the dhammawheel on it? they fly at pretty much every thai temple i went to in bangkok..

Everyday...and are flown at virtually every wat in Thailand...but I thought the topic was concerning the other one (theravada_guy's avatar)... :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_flag
appicchato

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:51 am

I've got those Buddhist flags flying at my desk at work.

:D

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby theravada_guy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:07 pm

Sorry about the mix up guys. I had the dhammachaka as my avatar for so long, then went to try and get my favorite depiction of the Buddha as the avatar, it was too big, then I couldn't find any more smaller dhammachakas, so I finally found the international Buddhist flag that worked.
With metta,

Justin
theravada_guy

Postby theravada_guy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:01 pm

I received my flag in the mail the other day from Thailand. It got here pretty quickly. It's hanging up above my bookshelf where I have all my Dhamma books. I like it! :twothumbsup:
0802001804.jpg
Sorry the pic is so big. Golly.
0802001804.jpg (355.58 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
With metta,

Justin
theravada_guy

Postby chownah » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:16 pm

I figured Appicchato was joking since his avatar is just a cropped version of the buddhist flag....moreor less......Good one Appicchato
chownah
chownah

Postby Tex » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:28 pm

Curious what the significance is (if any) of having 12 spokes on the wheel instead of 8 to represent the 8-fold path, like in Ven Appicchato's avatar?
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi
Tex

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:41 pm

Tex wrote:Curious what the significance is (if any) of having 12 spokes on the wheel instead of 8 to represent the 8-fold path, like in Ven Appicchato's avatar?

The three ways one must comprehend/implement each of the four noble truths:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
And, monks, as long as this — my three-round, twelve-permutation knowledge & vision concerning these four noble truths as they have come to be — was not pure, I did not claim to have directly awakened to the right self-awakening unexcelled in the cosmos with its deities, Maras, & Brahmas, with its contemplatives & priests, its royalty & commonfolk.

Footnote: The discussion in the four paragraphs beginning with the phrase, "Vision arose...," takes two sets of variables — the four noble truths and the three levels of knowledge appropriate to each — and lists their twelve permutations. In ancient Indian philosophical and legal traditions, this sort of discussion is called a wheel. Thus, this passage is the Wheel of Dhamma from which the discourse takes its name.

Mike
mikenz66

Postby Tex » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:26 am

Ahhhh, of course! Thanks, Mike.
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi
Tex

Postby theravada_guy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:25 pm

Thanks Mike. I was wondering that myself. :anjali:
With metta,

Justin
theravada_guy

Return to Theravāda for the modern world