Buddhist News?

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Buddhist News?

Postby Thaibebop » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:50 pm

Okay, so I am searching through the headlines of Huffington Post, in the religion section. There are so many stories, yet there always seems to be only one real Buddhist news story. There might be a few Buddhist blogs, but as far as news goes, maybe one story. I am not complaining mind you, but I wonder what you think of this. I have my own ideas but I want to see what you guys think. Do Buddhists just not make that much news? Just not controversial enough? What do you think?
Thaibebop

Re: Buddhist News?

Postby octathlon » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:58 pm

octathlon

Postby simplemind » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:50 pm

buddhistchannel.tv is pretty good and there is often something interesting on the urbandharma news feed. You have to sift through the sponsored links here and there, but it sometimes has interesting stuff: http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/news.html

It's hard to say why there isn't more 'Buddhist' news, but with the way the sensational world of news works, it's probably better that there is less in the mainstream. One thing I would be interested in is a place where there is current news commentary written from a roughly Buddhist perspective. I think that would be a great venue for awareness about some of the interesting things that Buddhists are doing as they engage with the suffering in the world. Frankly, I don't enjoy stories relishing in the suffering of others, or just portraying their lives (and deaths) in a voyeuristic way. That's what tires out my spirit when I read most contemporary news.
simplemind

Postby Mr. G » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:37 am

Those sites are simple news aggregators...you can do the same by using Google keyword and typing in Buddhism, or Theravada. :thumbsup:
Even if my body should be burnt to death
In the fires of hell,
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice
- Gandavyuha Sutra
Mr. G

Postby Ben » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:04 am

Buddhist Channel is cool!
There are quite a few Buddhist blogs, some are better than others. And some people just like to keep a low profile - or not wear their Buddhism on their shirt-sleeves.
kind regards

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Return to Theravāda for the modern world