YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Ghost Festival - Dhamma Wheel

Ghost Festival

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
unspoken

Ghost Festival

Postby unspoken » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:35 pm

There's a period of time in every year where a lot Chinese people will starting to fold burning papers and offering foods in front the grave of their relatives. And sometimes I see paper-made items burn for offering to those passed-away relatives. And I saw a paper written in Chinese words something about the hell and human world passport. I do not believe in what most of them believe, thinking burning paper folded in ornament shapes will definitely send some "hell money" to them.

But one thing confused me. Is there those "officers" that will bring you to hell for judgement when you are going to Avicci Hell? If there are, do those who suffers in Avicci Hell be able to come out for some particular reason and stay here for a while? Or just stay there and suffer until their bad karma worn out?

Kim OHara

Re: Ghost Festival

Postby Kim OHara » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:01 am

Hello, Unspoken,
The Festival of Ghosts is not a Buddhist tradition at all, but part of Chinese folk religion.
As for the Avici Hell, maybe this will help: .
:namaste:
Kim

plwk

Postby plwk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:49 am

unspoken

Postby unspoken » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:15 am

pegembara

Postby pegembara » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:45 am

And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:03 pm

The Theravada temple I attend celebrates Qing Ming. They don't call it Ghost Festival. What we do is to offer dana, chant parittas and then have a transference of merits ceremony. Buddhism has a clever practice of adopting native customs and incorporating it into itself.

plwk

Postby plwk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:23 pm

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”