What were they thinking?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Re: What were they thinking?

Postby chownah » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:43 am

I found the place at Patheos (note: there is no 'n' in Patheos).

http://www.patheos.com/Topics/2014-Reli ... dhist.html

Here is the introduction:
"While immigrant Buddhist communities often retain their traditions of male leadership—as priests, monks, and dharma instructors—many contemporary Buddhist centers are exploring new ways to integrate women into leadership roles. At the same time, a disturbing rise in abuse and inappropriate conduct has highlighted a need for greater attention to teacher-student relations and physical and emotional well-being.

Given the long centuries of Buddhist history and the entrenched traditions that create obstacles for women who seek leadership roles, what are the risks and benefits of opening Buddhist leadership to women? What are the philosophical, theological, and ethical resources upon which such efforts at greater inclusivity can draw? How can different streams of Buddhist tradition each contribute to conversations about gender equality?'
-----------------------
This is followed by the presentation of the various papers submitted. There is a comment section for each individual paper.
chownah
chownah

Postby Mr Man » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:15 am

This is for the UK
Mr Man

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:16 pm

chownah wrote:http://www.patheos.com/Topics/2014-Reli ... dhist.html
"....At the same time, a disturbing rise in abuse and inappropriate conduct has highlighted a need for greater attention to teacher-student relations and physical and emotional well-being.

But what has that got to do with integrating women into leadership roles? :thinking:
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Spiny Norman

Postby sattva » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:44 am

The appropriate response to what were they thinking?

Obviously, they weren't thinking. My own feeling is to now let it go.
sattva

Postby chownah » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:58 am

Spiny Norman wrote:
chownah wrote:http://www.patheos.com/Topics/2014-Reli ... dhist.html
"....At the same time, a disturbing rise in abuse and inappropriate conduct has highlighted a need for greater attention to teacher-student relations and physical and emotional well-being.

But what has that got to do with integrating women into leadership roles? :thinking:

I can see a connection but if you can't then just forget it......
I am not taking a position on what they have said.....I just presented it to inform people about what is/was happening/happened. There seems to be alot of uninformed comments on this thread and I hoped that if people had access to the website etc. that the comments would be more informed.
chownah
chownah

Previous

Return to Open Dhamma