Trouble Looking Up Bodhi's Sutta References

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Jhana4

Trouble Looking Up Bodhi's Sutta References

Post by Jhana4 »

I'm nearly done with and loving Bhikkhu Bodhi's anthology of the Sutta Pitaka "In The Buddha's Words".

One thing I am having difficulties with is that Bhikkhu Bodhi doesn't give the title of sutta in his citations, just the name of the "book" followed by numbers. This has worked out great for the Majihima Nikaya, but for the suttas from the Anguttara Nikaya googling on the numbers provided by Bhikkhu Bodhi take me to different suttas. For example Bhikkhu Bodhi quotes AN 9:20 on page 178 of his book. Googling on AN 9:20, on most sites will get you AN translations.....when I got to "section 9" then "sub section 20" I end up lost on another sutta.

Is there something I need to know about his citation system?

Thanks.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Alex123

Re: Trouble Looking Up Bodhi's Sutta References

Post by Alex123 »

Jhana4 wrote:I'm nearly done with and loving Bhikkhu Bodhi's anthology of the Sutta Pitaka "In The Buddha's Words".

One thing I am having difficulties with is that Bhikkhu Bodhi doesn't give the title of sutta in his citations, just the name of the "book" followed by numbers. This has worked out great for the Majihima Nikaya, but for the suttas from the Anguttara Nikaya googling on the numbers provided by Bhikkhu Bodhi take me to different suttas. For example Bhikkhu Bodhi quotes AN 9:20 on page 178 of his book. Googling on AN 9:20, on most sites will get you AN translations.....when I got to "section 9" then "sub section 20" I end up lost on another sutta.

Thanks.
Yes, AN citation is a bit tricky. In english AN book some use number of book and then sutta number. Some use number of book, section number and sutta number in that section.

AN9:20 is Velāmasuttaṃ Or AN 9:2:10

002.10. At one time The Blessed One was abiding in the monastery offered by Anàthapiõóika in Jeta's grove in Sàvatthi. The householder Anàthapiõóika approached The Blessed One, worshipped and sat on a side. Then The Blessed One said to him:

ßHouseholder, are gifts given in your family yet?û

ßVenerable sir, my family gives gifts of coarse nature such as porridge prepared out of broken rice with sour gruel and seed cakes accompanied with sour gruel.û

ßHouseholder, gifts of coarse or exalted food may be given, that too carelessly, without prior thinking, not giving with one's own hand, as though throwing away, not appreciating the results of giving, and whenever the results of those actions follow, the mind does not tend to enjoy noble food, noble wealth, noble conveyances, the noble enjoyment of the five strands of sensuality. His wife, children, slaves, messengers and workmen, too are not obident to him, do not lend ear to develop the mind. What is the reason? Householder, they are the results of actions done carelessly.

Householder, gifts of coarse or exalted food may be given, that too carefully, with prior thinking, giving with one's own hand, not as though throwing away, appreciating the results of giving, and whenever the results of those actions follow, the mind tends to enjoy noble food, noble wealth, noble conveyances, the noble enjoyment of the five strands of sensuality. His wife, children, slaves, messengers and workmen, too are obident to him, lend ear to develop the mind. What is the reason? Householder, they are the results of actions done carefully.

Householder, in the past there was a Brahmin by the name Velama. He gave great gifts like this. He gave eightyfour thousand golden bowls with dipicted pictures filled with rupees, eightyfour thousand bowls with depicted pictures filled with gold, eightyfour thousand bronze bowls filled with gold. He gave eightyfour thousand elephants, decorated in gold and golden flags and covered with a golden net, eightyfour thousand chariots with the accessory lion skins, tiger skins, deer skins, orange blankets decorated in gold, and golden flags and covered with golden nets. He gave eightyfour thousand cows dressing them up in fine cloth with bronze pails to milk them. Gave eightyfour thousand maidens decorated with jewelled ear-rings. Gave eightyfour thousand cushions, deer skin rugs for covering and spreading, deer skin carpets, cannopies, red cushions for the two sides. He gave eighty four thousand crores of clothes, of dainty linen cloth, of dainty silk coth, of dainty woollen cloth, of daintily spun cloth. There is nothing to speak about eatables, drinks, hard food and nourishments, he distributed them like the flowing river.

Householder, it might occur to you: `The Brahmin Velama was someone else, who gave great gifts at that time. It should not be known like that. I was the Brahmin Velama at that time. I gave those great gifts. Householder, at that time there was no one suitable to offer gifts. None to purify gifts.

Householder, if the Brahmin Velama when giving those gifts satisfied a single one, who had come to righteousness of view, the benefits would have been very much more ... If the Brahmin Velama when giving those gifts satisfied one hundred, who had come to righteousness of view or a once returner, the benefits would have been very much more. If the Brahmin Velama when giving those gifts satisfied one hundred once returners, or a non-returner ... re ... one hundred non-returners or a worthy one, ... re ... a hundred worthy ones or one self enlightened, ... re ... a hundred self enlightened ones or the Thus Gone One, worthy and rightfully enlightened ... re ... or the Community of bhikkhus headed by the Enlightened One ... re ... or constructed a monastery for the Community of bhikkhus coming from the four directions ... re ... or with a pleasant mind took refuge in the Enlightened One, the Teaching and the Community of bhikkhus, ... re ... or with a pleasant mind observed the precepts - to abstain from, destroying living things, taking the not given, wrong sexual behaviour, telling lies, intoxicating and brewed drinks, or if the thought of loving kindness was developed as long as a smell was prevailing, its benefits would have been very much more ...

Householder, if the Brahmin Velama when giving those gifts satisfied a single one, who had come to righteousness of view, ... re ... one hundred, who had come to righteousness of view, a single once returner, ... re ... satisfied one hundred once returners, a single non-returner ... re ... one hundred non-returners, a single worthy one, ... re ... a hundred worthy ones, a single self enlightened one, ... re ... a hundred self enlightened ones, the Thus Gone One, worthy and rightfully enlightened ... re ... the Community of bhikkhus headed by the Enlightened One ... re ... constructed a monastery for the Community of bhikkhus coming from the four directions ... re ... with a pleasant mind took refuge in the Enlightened One, the Teaching and the Community of bhikkhus, ... re ... with a pleasant mind observed the precepts - to abstain from, destroying living things, taking the not given, wrong sexual behaviour, telling lies, intoxicating and brewed drinks, developed the thought of loving kindness as long as a smell was prevailing, developed the perception of impermanence so long as snapping the fingers, its benefits would have been very much more.û
http://metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/ ... ggo-e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

Is there a formula for going from 9:20 to 9:2:10 that I could apply to other such citations?
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Jhana4 wrote:
Is there a formula for going from 9:20 to 9:2:10 that I could apply to other such citations?
The problem is that different translations of AN use different schemes. I had to look manuallu in Chattha Sangayana Tipitaka 4.0 program that I have. I've opened AN book of 9's and looked for sutta number 20. (AN9:20). There I've looked at another citation method and from that went to metta.lk for english translation.
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Jhana4 wrote:I'm nearly done with and loving Bhikkhu Bodhi's anthology of the Sutta Pitaka "In The Buddha's Words".

Thanks.
What about the table of sources on page 459?

Moreover, you may wish to distinguish between Pali Text Society (PTS) volume and page numbers, versus the various Samyuttas / Vaggas / etc. and text number of the canon itself.
AN 9:20 can only be the "Book of Nines", because there is no volume 9 of the PTS edition, so it is the latter, the text number; most people use the PTS volume and page number.
eg. for most systems AN V 10 means PTS edition of AN, volum V (5), pg. 10; it does not mean the "Book of Fives", sutta number 10.
But Bodhi seems to use Book number and sutta number.

Note too, that the book and sutta numbers differ in different editions, eg. the Thai, Burmese, etc.

~~ Huifeng
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Jhana4,

This whole thing is a bit confusing.

I find that the search tool at http://www.suttacentral.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; can be handy, because you can put in either system:
The "Search" box and buttons at the bottom of the Home page enable you to specify the required Pali discourse in any one of three ways:

1) by its title; e.g., mahasatipatthana or mahaasatipa.t.thaana or mahāsatipaṭṭhāna
2) by its abbreviation and number; e.g., DN 22
3) by a nikāya/volume/page reference; e.g., DN II 310
This will actually translate between the two systems, and point you to AtoI, Mettanet, or BPS translations. The PTS Vol/Page of their Pali version (the style using Roman numberals) is handy because it allows a precise reference in a long sutta. Be aware also that the Abbreviation/Number system varies a bit. So mettanet http://www.metta.lk/tipitaka/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Access to Insight http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the systems Bhikkhu Bodhi uses can disagree, for example for some of the higher SN chapters (see some of the recent "study group" suttas I've posted http://dhammawheel.com/viewforum.php?f=25). Also, on Mettanet, the SN (and AN) suttas are grouped in vaggas of about 10 suttas each within the chapters, hence references like 35.2.4

:anjali:
Mike