Anyone see the devas or the like or know one who does see?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
whynotme

Anyone see the devas or the like or know one who does see?

Post by whynotme »

Hi everyone,

Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen/met the devas or know someone that actually dit?

Regards
Please stop following me
Jaidyn

Re: Anyone see the devas or the like or know one who does see?

Post by Jaidyn »

yes, i have, their beauty does not manifest in the physical (for me) but one can sense it when relying on psychic abilities, and their energies can manifest as mental images even though the images are mostly abstract and seem to just be personal interpretations of their life-form.. I am not very familiar with the term deva, however, but what I have experienced are beings/energies/forms from other "higher" dimensions (i guess) of existence.. For me they take the role as guides. they have a deep impact upon the body and mind once experienced in communication - high level of unconditional love and acceptance.
whynotme

Post by whynotme »

thank you for sharing. How do you get that type of experience?
Please stop following me
Jaidyn

Post by Jaidyn »

This was happening at a time when ego was weak and i was generally more inclined to stay in the present moment (much like eckhart tolle describes (search youtube)). I then had worldly encounters with other people resulting in the sudden opening/activation of one or several chakras (the best theory i have found and i did not know about chakras earlier - i had no special regard for or interest in that system).

prior to all this (one or two months earlier) i had a realization in my spiritual journey resulting in attachments breaking down. my mind was not able to attach in the same way and i felt the dissolution of my mental habits. i just returned to the present moment whatever mental habit i tried to do. it was joyful and deeply relaxing but also strange and i was in fear my ability to carry out my daily work would suffer. my realization was that there is nothing outside or mentally inside - no thing, no idea, no future, no past - having any meaning within. We (our ego) put meaning inside everything - inside ideas, situations, etc - and thereby we make ourselves committed to act according to these meanings - i must get rich, because i am poor and it is a shame. we bind ourselves to everything and that is not freedom. people are always on their way to something, you can see it in their eyes, but there is no something to go to - even if you go to the bus - because we are always here..

I had no prior intention of communicating with these "beings" and I always thought it was bull* before the experience. I am a skeptic - i have thought of different explanations - but I can not deny it was very real and significant to my mind. The higher being was not the main part of my experience. I mentally experienced another persons "soul" by something like telepathy (i also have real contact with this person) and the soul would keep returning (several days). the soul-thing was totally unexpected and actually i did not want it at first as i was into practice/explore my present-moment-meditation. in relation to the soul-thing the higher being entered because i did not know what to do with my experience of the other persons soul. i mentally asked for inner guidance - any kind.

This is not uncommon in other spiritual contexts, but i do not know if it resemble the deva-concept. I do not expect to much support or recognition for this through buddhism, but it may be related to the deva-concept. in the buddhist texts it says something like that the devas radiates beauty surpassing everything etc.. and that was my experience of this higher being. it is a beauty bound to unconditional love and acceptance. Also; it is like you experience just a small part of this being, never the totality like when you grasp a person with your senses..

i can not get this experience at will... my ego is partly stronger at the moment and it just tries to fake the experience - emulating it - because it is desiring it.. maybe if i try and practice, but I have not had such an experience since the first time.
whynotme

Post by whynotme »

Thanks for sharing,

You are being honest and it is good for you. This kind of experience is not well regarded and encouraged in Buddhism. Actually your view mainly looking for the emptiness, or eternity, which is not Buddhism. No future no past no present, then nothing to do, nothing worth trying, no will, no work no meaning in anything, when there are still things need to be done. Nothing special in that view. Actually we still need meanings to have right view, right thought which are the base of Buddhism, not give up meaning and live like animals, and proud of an animal life.

The Buddha said even some can achieve brahma world without Buddism, hell is still waiting for those without right view. And in Buddhism, we all were devas in the past, now where is it? We are just human but deva isn't something very special.

Let me tell you this, in Buddhism, it isn't about joy and pleasant or the peace of the moment, because it is very short. The Buddha taught about samsara, which is all suffering and happiness in this very life mean nothing when compare to it. Before attained enlightenment, he spent many years torture himself with the wrong view but the goal worth it. He could live an easy life, but FYI, that type of people never live that life, because, there are other goals in life, worth to try.

The Buddha taught that even if flesh and blood are dried, should not give up the dhamma goal. No you haven't been there yet (the dhamma goal) even you think you are always here. We are always here or not, what is the benefit of it? Is that view prevents you from satisfying sense pleasures, prevents you from doing bad actions that lead to inferior lives in the future? Or is that view let you tired of samsara? No, none of the main benefits the Buddha taught, so it is mainly a wrong view.

You know, when the meaning of life is different, it is very hard for you to understand Buddhism.

Cheers.
Please stop following me
Jaidyn

Post by Jaidyn »

I am at an entirely different spiritual path, but i really enjoy reading your post putting my experiences i a buddhist-light (after all this is a buddhist forum).

I want to clarify some things. your interpretation of me does not resonate with my experience. perhaps i was unclear.
whynotme wrote: You are being honest and it is good for you. This kind of experience is not well regarded and encouraged in Buddhism. Actually your view mainly looking for the emptiness, or eternity, which is not Buddhism. No future no past no present, then nothing to do, nothing worth trying, no will, no work no meaning in anything, when there are still things need to be done. Nothing special in that view. Actually we still need meanings to have right view, right thought which are the base of Buddhism, not give up meaning and live like animals, and proud of an animal life.
Cheers.
eternity - did you think i believe in eternity because i wrote about souls. Thats not the case.

nothing worth trying / nothing to do - i disagree. in the state i experienced i do not deny there are things to do, but there are no egoistically motivated things to do.

no meaning in anything - i do not imply it in a depressive manner. phenomenon hold no meaning within, but still we act in meaningful ways

no work - there is work. i was in fear i would not be capable of work as this was a massive spiritual transformation. if your partner dies you may not be capable of work for a few days.

no will - havn't said that. how did i imply that?

No future no past no present - these are just ideas we put meaning into and demand ourselves to maintain. still present and future are significant terms in daily life.

not give up meaning and live like animals - you misunderstand me. it is not in a primitive or depressed way. it is a releasing of attachment to phenomenon by realizing things. you live with deep love and care within this state. craving is near to non-existent...

just to be clear.. I am at an entirely different spiritual path. Buddhism is not my main-path but i enjoy buddhism to some extent
Last edited by Jaidyn on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jaidyn

Post by Jaidyn »

by the way .. work.. i am talking about work like a regular job you have to earn money...

and to me these beings are special.. they can act as teachers in ways i doubt humans can..
whynotme

Post by whynotme »

Ah, after all my guess isn't wrong at the first glance. But why do you care about work? Thing as they are let they be.

Regards.
Please stop following me
whynotme

Post by whynotme »

Anyway, can you share about your spiritual path? What is it purpose, what is the method, how to get the goal?

And what kind of spiritual aid did you get from your experience?

Regards
Please stop following me
Jaidyn

Post by Jaidyn »

whynotme wrote:Anyway, can you share about your spiritual path? What is it purpose, what is the method, how to get the goal?

And what kind of spiritual aid did you get from your experience?

Regards
No. I do not feel comfortable with sharing that. But I am perfectly content with my path. I thought you where mainly interested in peoples experiences about the deva-concept.
marc108

Post by marc108 »

I'm a little confused as to why you posted this topic? Just to criticize those who respond?
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
whynotme

Post by whynotme »

marc108 wrote:I'm a little confused as to why you posted this topic? Just to criticize those who respond?
You have a problems with that? Oh, I am sorry, I think about him as my old friend, so I take it a little privately.

Regards
Last edited by whynotme on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please stop following me
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

People who admit to having "non-ordinary" experiences cop a lot of flak from others trying to convince them that they are either making it up or delusional, usually.

Sometimes you may feel inclined to speak up and discover others who share similar experiences but be prepared for some serious mudslinging.
_/|\_
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Wasn't there another guy here about a month ago who described the devas he saw in a forest?
whynotme

Post by whynotme »

pilgrim wrote:Wasn't there another guy here about a month ago who described the devas he saw in a forest?
Is there any link?

Thanks
Please stop following me