Mental vs physical feeling?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Mental vs physical feeling?

Postby whynotme » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi,

There are 2 types of feelings: metal and physical, ie: sad is metal, pain is physical, pleasant is physical and joy is mental. Which one is harder to overcome, which one is more hurt? I.e a sad feeling or a painful feeling? The saddest or the most painful feeling?

Regards.
Please stop following me
whynotme

Re: Metal vs physical feeling?

Postby equilibrium » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:53 pm

Mental V Physical......Mind V Body.....
Both of which are empty.....hence they are not real!
equilibrium

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:24 am

equilibrium wrote:Mental V Physical......Mind V Body.....
If I hit you in the nose, that would not hurt and you would not care?
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Re: Mental vs physical feeling?

Postby Magoo » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:47 am

whynotme wrote:Hi,

There are 2 types of feelings: metal and physical, ie: sad is metal, pain is physical, pleasant is physical and joy is mental. Which one is harder to overcome, which one is more hurt? I.e a sad feeling or a painful feeling? The saddest or the most painful feeling?

Regards.

Hi WNM,

Mental feelings can be painful too.

To me, mental pain/suffering is all caused by thoughts (views,perceptions and opinions) which can be overcome or transformed and thus the pain removed. This is my practice.

However, physical pain to that of the body happens and can be reduced by our minds or medication and is no issue or concern to me. Ho Hum really. I dont try and create it though but it will and does happen.

So to me mental pains are harder to overcome as it can be a lot of years of conditioning to transform. But it is possible.

With MegaMetta
Eamonn
Magoo

Postby pegembara » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:34 am

whynotme wrote:Hi,

Regards.

I would say physical pain is difficult to overcome. The Buddha had to go into jhanas to reduce physical pain before he died. Some arahants or near arahants resorted to "suicide".

http://www.palicanon.org/en/sutta-pitak ... hanna.html
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
pegembara

Postby whynotme » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:37 am

Many thanks,

I think that mental suffering may feel extremely terrible, but if when physical feeling play a role, it will flush the mental state. But then there are people which accept ultimate physical feeling because of their faith, they torture themselves and can bear it with their will, i.e Bodhisattva finding the way, some followers of other religion, they beat themselves. It seems that to them, physical pain cannot compare to mental state?

Regards
Please stop following me
whynotme

Postby equilibrium » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:17 am

tiltbillings wrote:
If I hit you in the nose, that would not hurt and you would not care?

To answer you under the conditioned plane of human existence.....depending on how hard you hit your target, the pain would be directly proportional to the force.
To answer you under the plane of Pretas.....you will not see me but lets say you did, there would be no pain and I would not care.

You are asking a question under a particular plane of existence and expecting an answer under the same plane of existence because you are thinking under that particular plane (a view).....by doing so, you are limiting yourself.....this is a mental barrier......it does not exist.....it is not real.....it is conditioned.....why attach to it?

If a person decides to be cremated when that time comes.....do you think that person will feel the pain of the fire?.....if not, why not?
equilibrium

Postby whynotme » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:58 am

What did you mean by empty? And what did you mean by not real?

What is real?

Regards.
Please stop following me
whynotme

Postby matais » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:35 pm

equilibrium wrote:You are asking a question under a particular plane of existence and expecting an answer under the same plane of existence because you are thinking under that particular plane (a view).....by doing so, you are limiting yourself.....this is a mental barrier......it does not exist.....it is not real.....it is conditioned.....why attach to it?

Attachment is not dependent on views (actually views are attachments themselves), it is dependent on craving. Mentally repeating 'it does not exist, it is not real, it is conditioned' cannot eliminate craving by itself, it can just establish a new attachment, and with that, more becoming, more suffering.
No view is sufficient to eliminate suffering all by itself. Right View is just 1/8th of the path.
matais

Postby equilibrium » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:48 pm

whynotme wrote:

What is real?

Regards.

Empty is where you discover the pot of paint you purchased has no paint inside. (analogy)
Mind & Body is part of a human being, it is therefore conditioned.....not perfect.....not at peace.....hence existence.....perceptions to suit the conditions.....hence not real.

Real is perfection.....peace.....unconditioned.....Nibbana.
equilibrium

Postby whynotme » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:59 am

equilibrium wrote:
whynotme wrote:

What is real?

Regards.

Empty is where you discover the pot of paint you purchased has no paint inside. (analogy)
Mind & Body is part of a human being, it is therefore conditioned.....not perfect.....not at peace.....hence existence.....perceptions to suit the conditions.....hence not real.

Real is perfection.....peace.....unconditioned.....Nibbana.

Thank you for you clarification

Regards
Please stop following me
whynotme

Return to Open Dhamma