I am no thing

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Magoo

Re: I am no thing

Post by Magoo »

Hi Scott,

What ever helps you on your journey to the extinction of suffering is a good thing, so best of luck in your path. Your understanding, whether experiential or intellectual is really 'none of my business', but it certainly seems to be giving you some peace and freedom and thats great.

My own view on Anatta is that of "not self". And that is that the sense of a "me" or "mine" is the problem, as this is what leads to attachment to things which are "not self"" and not controlable and not permanent, which only leads to sufefring.

Personally, I dont think I need to make any categorical and loud statemets procaliming that there is a no self and make sure I am conviced of this. We as humans have this natural sense of a self and a belief that our body and personality is me. This has caused me lots of problems and closed me off to lots of experiences. This is part of my journey to realize that this identification is wrong and is "not self".

With Metta
Eamonn
Ben

Post by Ben »

SDC wrote:You have an intellectual grasp on what you want to do, but you still have to actually do it. Meaning that you are still moving and have not fully understood everything.
Talking the talk rather than walking the walk - so to speak.
Well, he wouldn't be Robinson Caruso in that regard.
There comes a point in one's life where one gets a bit tired of the chatter; all that has to be done is actually walking the path - one step at a time.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Mara's body is our internal voice, he disapears when we watch him dirrectly.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Caraka

Post by Caraka »

Mara's body is our internal voice, he disapears when we watch him dirrectly.
Thanks, Dawn and you also Scott1989. I continue this in a new post, cause I'm also curious about what others might say.

See: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13847
manas

Post by manas »

Hi scott,
Now ALL I need to do in life, is to remember that I am no thing whenever I feel that I am a thing. There are NO other choices to be made anymore.
If you have perceived that every thing is conditionally arisen, that's great. But that alone doesn't necessarily extinguish desire for the causes of suffering and stress.

One very annoying thing is that we can see that all is conditionally arisen, then feel that everything is hunky-dory, then one day we realize to our dismay that desire still afflicts us just as before, and that we have only taken the first step of a much longer path. There is still alot of work to be done.

metta.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.