YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

How much does labeling as good or evil has to do with it? - Dhamma Wheel

How much does labeling as good or evil has to do with it?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Ervin

How much does labeling as good or evil has to do with it?

Postby Ervin » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:57 pm

I am writing in light of my treads on veganism and coffee. I am begining to think that how we label certain things like coffee and veganism for instance influemces how it effects us.

For instance, if you go on labeling coffee as a strong upper drug then it might end up having some of those effects of an upper drug on you. But if you don't label it so strongly then it might not have those effects you. Same as with veganism. If you are strongly opinionated about animal rights and how eating only plant baed food is lesser violence and what not, then if you do eat meat you might really feel like a some sort of bad killer and doing it might have certain effects on you.

But if you see it as ok and simply a part of food chain and you still remain with the belief that you are good when it comes to how you want to spend the eternity then that's how it might effect you.

But then again. I was in a car accident when I was about 4 years old. I was supposedly in a Mercedes wich allegedly preaty much saved us because we got hit by the bus. This was supposed to be around 1982. Now I don't remember labeling bus, the car I was in or either of the drivers as evil, but I was phisically hurt and I ended up in a hospital.

Or let's say if someone ends up hurting someone else, just because they enjoy violence, but the person getting hurt didn't even know the person prone to violence means that he wouldn't have labeled him ad violent but he still is.

So my question is: How much and in wich cases in life does labeling and judging efect what that wich we label as good or evil is?

Thanks

Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: How much does labeling as good or evil has to do with it?

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:23 pm

Have a listen to Ajahn Amaro's .

There's a really insightful description of how different people react to the same experience on a Zen retreat.

Different mental habits (past kamma) = different perceptions = different reaction = different fresh kamma.
• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Hanzze

Re: How much does labeling as good or evil has to do with it?

Postby Hanzze » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:35 am

Just that! *smile*

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Nate sante baram sokham _()_

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”