Reincarnation bank

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Reincarnation bank

Postby Nibbida » Tue May 19, 2009 1:46 am

I wish I were making this up:

http://www.reincarnationbank.com/index.html

Who says wealth is impermanent? You can just leave it for the next life. But of course, there is no self that transfers from life to life, so I think they've got a loophole.
"Dispositions of the mind, like limbs of the body, acquire strength by exercise." --Thomas Jefferson

Facebook Meditation Page: http://snurl.com/yoga9vipassana
Nibbida

Re: Reincarnation bank

Postby Jechbi » Tue May 19, 2009 5:38 am

Interesting case for a discussion about contract law. Who would enforce this contract?

Asset Transfers:

Temporary ownership by 2i Limited of deeds, bonds and other tangible assets such as precious metals, jewellery, fine art, vehicles, real estate and other assets must be transferred in their entirety to:

"Temporary." Yeah, right.

:quote:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Jechbi

Postby Individual » Tue May 19, 2009 6:10 am

An obvious scam not worth promoting through discussion.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby MMK23 » Tue May 19, 2009 6:11 am

Individual wrote:An obvious scam not worth promoting through discussion.

:thumbsup:
MMK23

Postby Ben » Tue May 19, 2009 10:11 am

Hi Jechbi

Jechbi wrote:Interesting case for a discussion about contract law. Who would enforce this contract?

Asset Transfers:

Temporary ownership by 2i Limited of deeds, bonds and other tangible assets such as precious metals, jewellery, fine art, vehicles, real estate and other assets must be transferred in their entirety to:

"Temporary." Yeah, right.

:quote:

You're probably unaware of the political discussion in Australia surrounding the creation of an economic stimulus package that will cause the economy to go into deficit. Our treasurer, Wayne Swan, made a speech a few weeks ago when announcing the budget and suggested the deficit would be 'temporary', predicted to last six years. The opposition party, jumped on Swan's desciption of six years as 'temporary'. It was as ridiculous as it was irrelevant.

On the Reincarnation Bank, of course its an elaborate scam. Leaving one's worldly assets to one's children, relatives or charitable institutions is probably one of a few genuinely meritorious actions a person can do before they die.
Metta

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Jechbi » Tue May 19, 2009 1:45 pm

Ben wrote:You're probably unaware of the political discussion in Australia surrounding the creation of an economic stimulus package that will cause the economy to go into deficit. Our treasurer, Wayne Swan, made a speech a few weeks ago when announcing the budget and suggested the deficit would be 'temporary', predicted to last six years. The opposition party, jumped on Swan's desciption of six years as 'temporary'. It was as ridiculous as it was irrelevant.

Thanks, Ben. Just seems to me the reincarnation bank probably would end up keeping all the assets "permanently," meaning "permanently" in the relative sense of "for as long as possible." Of course everything is temporary.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Jechbi

Return to Open Dhamma