Basic Buddhism Guide as posted in the sticky

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
CoreyNiles92

Basic Buddhism Guide as posted in the sticky

Post by CoreyNiles92 »

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/qanda.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I personally have to say this is one of the more biased collection of facts I have seen. I would not advise newcomers to Buddhism to read this personally, I know very little, but whoever answered these questions seems to feel themselves more intelligent, or important than the person asking the questions. Stating matter-of-factly that reincarnation exists, and nearly shunning vegetarians in favor of non-vegetarians, it seems to be quite backwards in what Buddhism is about. Questions such as, "who is the better Buddhist" in any given situation, seems to be an unfair statement, and beyond anyone's speculation.
cooran

Re: Basic Buddhism Guide as posted in the sticky

Post by cooran »

Hello CoreyNiles92,

Could you please give quotations from the Buddha's Teachings to support what you maintain about the 'unfair statements' in the linked text? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing - but a discussion needs to be on specifics not generalities.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Post by Ben »

CoreyNiles92 wrote:http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/qanda.htm

I personally have to say this is one of the more biased collection of facts I have seen..., I know very little,
It would appear, Corey, that you're unqualified to critique Ven Dhammika's "A Basic Buddhism Guide".
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
nibbuti

Post by nibbuti »

Hi Corey. I concur with your specific concerns in regard to the rather speculative or matter-of-factly parts of the Q&A. One doesn't have to have an academic degree, status or position to acknowledge that certain wide-spread assumptions are not always experience based.

But I think it's as good a Q&A as any (by someone who is not Buddha or quoting Dhamma). It's not necessary to worry there, everyone will eventually get the "introduction" their heart reveals to them and stumble upon the teachings (dhamma) they need.

:namaste:
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

CoreyNiles92 wrote:http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/qanda.htm

I personally have to say this is one of the more biased collection of facts I have seen. I would not advise newcomers to Buddhism to read this personally
I personally have to say this is one of the best collection of facts I have seen. I would advise newcomers to Buddhism to read this personally. In fact, I ordered 10 copies and gave them to anyone who asked me what Buddhism was about.

But more constructively, Corey, do you have a suggestion for a better intro? If you've read one as accessible I'd like to know.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

James the Giant wrote: I personally have to say this is one of the best collection of facts I have seen. I would advise newcomers to Buddhism to read this personally. In fact, I ordered 10 copies and gave them to anyone who asked me what Buddhism was about.

But more constructively, Corey, do you have a suggestion for a better intro? If you've read one as accessible I'd like to know.
I agree. It cleans up many of the very common misconceptions and comes straight to the point.