On the nature of Beauty

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
alan

Re: On the nature of Beauty

Post by alan »

Beauty awakens the mind, and develops it. Certainly no one would argue against a mind open to the subtle joys of life? In my opinion, anything that inclines the mind to thoughtful contemplation is a good, and should be celebrated.
http://www.facebook.com/alan.hoelzle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alan...

Post by alan... »

i would say it's more of a psychological question than a philosophical one.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:Beauty awakens the mind, and develops it. Certainly no one would argue against a mind open to the subtle joys of life? In my opinion, anything that inclines the mind to thoughtful contemplation is a good, and should be celebrated.
http://www.facebook.com/alan.hoelzle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not subscribe to Puritan Buddhism?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
alan

Post by alan »

Guess I'm not a puritan, because I think there is value in contemplating beauty. Even more so in creating it.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:Guess I'm not a puritan, because I think there is value in contemplating beauty. Even more so in creating it.
You won't get an argument out of me on that.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Hello, gentlemen, and best wishes for a happy, healthy 2013. Just got caught up with everything that remained undone after a year-end vacation and would like to thank you for all your comments. Unfortunately, I don't have the background to follow some of the points being made here and I remain as confused as when I first started this thread several weeks ago. How is it, if beauty is part of the object, that two people can see the same object as both beautiful and ugly? This is true within cultures, and perhaps even more so across them, suggesting many (but perhaps not all) aesthetic properties are socially constructed.

My apologies in advance for my thick-headedness.
gendun

Post by gendun »

According to Aquinas beauty lies in perception.
Specifically " That which, the perception of, pleases "

:anjali:
Gendun P. Brownlow.
Karma Kagyu student.