Venerable Vello Vaartnou has started the following idea and project- online Chinese Buddhist Encyclopedia. An encyclopedia (also spelled encyclopaedia or encyclopædia) is a type of reference work, a compendium holding a summary of information from either all branches of knowledge or a particular branch of knowledge.
Initially the Encyclopedia's environment will be in two languages- Chinese Mandarin and English. By using two most spoken languages, the Encyclopedia will provide platform for international co-operation between academics, monastics and lay Buddhists with the further plan to develop the Encyclopedia in different languages.
The purpose of the Encyclopedia is to
1) provide easy access to vast amount of materials for everyone with access to internet
2) gather all available existing digitized materials, review them, categorize and post them online.
3) collaborate with relevant universities, monasteries, institutions, libraries, museums and individuals globally
4) continue digitizing more materials
5) use the advantages of modern technology to develop different forms of Buddhist education
6) create a international team of specialists interested in those topics, who would collaborate and meet on regular bases
For further information, please visit www.chinabuddhismencyclopedia.com
The project is still in a very early stage, but has clear vision of growth.
It is an excellent opportunity to get to know leading specialists in the field, participate events, study and contribute.
We are looking volunteer editors, researchers, translators, IT specialists and assistants.
If you are interested, please contact us on - firstname.lastname@example.org , and we will tell you in details how you can get involved.