Did Christianity "borrow" from Buddhism?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Zakattack

Re: Did Christianity "borrow" from Buddhism?

Post by Zakattack »

ground wrote:Maybe you are trying to introduce another spring? If so go ahead. Human creativity must not be blocked. :sage:
Mentality, what did Jesus teach (practically) different from Samyaksambuddha? Love thy enemy? Forgive, not judge? Be perfect in love? Hate leads to the fire of hell? Is there evidence of any other teacher teaching these teachings in a total way before Samyaksambuddha?

Transcendentally, Samyaksambuddha learned from the Dharma (Natural Reality). Jesus was taught by 'The Father'. Is the suffering, impermanence & emptiness of natural reality 'The Father'?

:shrug:
ground wrote:Maybe you are trying to introduce another spring? If so go ahead. Human creativity must not be blocked. :sage:
Is 'creativity' called sankhara or papanca in Buddhism? Is the 'uncreated' called Nirvana or visankhara/asankhata?

ground

Post by ground »

Zakattack wrote:
Mentality, what did Jesus teach (practically) different from Samyaksambuddha?
See from my perspective "Jesus" and "Samyaksambuddha" are ideas, i.e. products of human creativity in the first place. Now one may either believe that these ideas stand for more than just themselves (i.e. have a basis that is "more" than mere ideas) or that they are just mere ideas or be agnostic ("I do not know"). Your questions are asked from the perspective of religious belief (i.e. that "Jesus" and "Samyaksambuddha" are more than just mere ideas). That is fine and I can accept your perspective but for an answer I have to refer you to yourself, to appeal to your creativity. :sage:
Zakattack

Post by Zakattack »

ground wrote:See from my perspective "Jesus" and "Samyaksambuddha" are ideas, i.e. products of human creativity in the first place.
Dalai Lama taught about when Samyaksambuddha said: "What is there to see in this vile body? He who sees Dhamma sees me; he who sees me sees Dhamma". Is Dhamma really an idea? Is decaying & rotting impermanence [of the vile body] an idea? The idea "my perspective" sounds like an idea. Is ultimate reality an idea? If not, how can Samyaksambuddha be an idea when Samyaksambuddha is the same as Dhamma? Is anatta an idea? Is Jesus loves me an idea? Which of these are ideas (papanca) & which are not ideas (abhiññāya)?

ground

Post by ground »

Zakattack wrote:Is Dhamma really an idea? Is decaying & rotting impermanence [of the vile body] an idea? ... Is ultimate reality an idea? If not, how can Samyaksambuddha be an idea when Samyaksambuddha is the same as Dhamma? Is anatta an idea? Is Jesus loves me an idea? Which of these are ideas (papanca) & which are not ideas (abhiññāya)
What other than ideas express themselves by means of these words? Investigate whether there are more than mere ideas that express themselves by means of these words.
Zakattack wrote: The idea "my perspective" sounds like an idea. ?
It surely is. And it is merely an idea. But how to address by means of words the arisen idea that there are two spheres commonly called "you" and "me" and that the sphere expressing itself is not perceived as "you"? :sage:
Zakattack

Post by Zakattack »

ground wrote:
Zakattack wrote:The idea "my perspective" sounds like an idea ?
It surely is. And it is merely an idea. But how to address by means of words the arisen idea that there are two spheres commonly called "you" and "me" and that the sphere expressing itself is not perceived as "you"? :sage:
We both agree "you" is an idea & "me" is an "idea". Yet we are both not in agreement that impermanence, unsatisfactoriness, not-self & Nibbana are not ideas. When water evaporates, is that impermanence an idea? That $1 billion can never bring perfect happiness, that $1 billion is unsatisfactory, is not an idea. There is not one human or animal mind that can derive perfect happiness (Nibbana) from $1 billion. That things are not-self, i.e., cannot be ultimately owned, possessed, kept, maintained (due to their impermanence) is not an idea. To me, there is an obvious difference between fleeting mind-made ideas, on one hand, and unchanging natural realities, on the other hand.

Thus it was said: "He who sees Dhamma sees me; he who sees me sees Dhamma". This saying is evidence that Dhamma is not an idea, therefore Samyaksambuddha is not an idea because Samyaksambuddha is the embodiment of Dhamma (which includes Nibbana).

But Jesus, is said to impart love & forgiveness, is said to be 'Eternal'. Is love & forgiveness an (impermanent) idea or mental phenomena? Is Jesus being 'eternal' an unchanging reality or merely a fleeting mind-made idea?

These are the issues I believe are core to this matter and which support the case that Samyaksambuddha is not a mere papanca idea.

:sage:
ground

Post by ground »

Zakattack wrote:
ground wrote:
Zakattack wrote:The idea "my perspective" sounds like an idea ?
We both agree "you" is an idea & "me" is an "idea". Yet we are both not in agreement that impermanence, unsatisfactoriness, not-self & Nibbana are not ideas.
No. It is obvious that before you write " impermanence, unsatisfactoriness, not-self & Nibbana" there must have arisen the idea corresponding to these words.
Now you seem to insist that your ideas are more than just ideas for which you can never provide evidence. All you can do is to express more ideas which you believe do support the former ideas. But the sphere of mere ideas is never gone beyond. It is mere belief. It is just "in your head" so to say. You may however find others who "share" your beliefs. That's for sure. That is the nature of religion: People sharing (at least similar) beliefs, applying the same words in special contexts from which one usually concludes that their beliefs are identical which however is not sure since the words are not the ideas.
Zakattack wrote: ... I believe ...
Sure. A belief is an idea being mentally affirmed as more than just that. :sage:
ground

Post by ground »

Having said that this does not exclude that ideas originating dependently from human creativity as a means of dealing with human dilemma may have benefits for humans and since this may be the case in the context of all religious ideas it has been said above:
ground wrote:When there are two springs conveying water that originates from the same subterrestrial water reservoir it may not be appropriate to say that one spring "borrows" from the other spring. :sage:
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Yes, and the hairshirts were just a loaner. They want them back when we are done with them. The dirtier the better.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
binocular

Post by binocular »

ground wrote:No. It is obvious that before you write " impermanence, unsatisfactoriness, not-self & Nibbana" there must have arisen the idea corresponding to these words.
Now you seem to insist that your ideas are more than just ideas for which you can never provide evidence. All you can do is to express more ideas which you believe do support the former ideas. But the sphere of mere ideas is never gone beyond. It is mere belief. It is just "in your head" so to say. You may however find others who "share" your beliefs. That's for sure. That is the nature of religion: People sharing (at least similar) beliefs, applying the same words in special contexts from which one usually concludes that their beliefs are identical which however is not sure since the words are not the ideas.
Here, and before, you seem to be saying that phenomena have an inherent nature of one kind or another, and that a person can know this nature firsthand, without having to be specifically trained - and biased - to see it that way.

On the other hand, you say that "Jesus" etc. are just ideas.

So let me ask you this: What exists?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
alan

Post by alan »

Christianity is nonsense, and it did not borrow from Buddhism. The idea itself is preposterous.

Glad to see you are back, PeterB. Are you willing to explain your position?
ground

Post by ground »

binocular wrote:
ground wrote:No. It is obvious that before you write " impermanence, unsatisfactoriness, not-self & Nibbana" there must have arisen the idea corresponding to these words.
Here, and before, you seem to be saying that phenomena have an inherent nature of one kind or another, and that a person can know this nature firsthand, without having to be specifically trained - and biased - to see it that way.
It may seem to you. But what seems are just your ideas. When you say it seems that I am saying you should quote the words that cause these ideas of yours.
binocular wrote: On the other hand, you say that "Jesus" etc. are just ideas.
Jesus or Buddha, no difference. Or can you put your hands on them?
Nevertheless I can read "the words of the Buddha" or "the words of Jesus". So people say and so do I say.
binocular wrote: So let me ask you this: What exists?
What does "exist" mean? :sage:
binocular

Post by binocular »

ground wrote:
binocular wrote: So let me ask you this: What exists?
What does "exist" mean? :sage:
I am well aware of the problems around "exist." I wanted to see how youd'd approach it.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

alan wrote:Christianity is nonsense, and it did not borrow from Buddhism. The idea itself is preposterous.
Just google "zen christianity", for example. Plenty of hits.
At least nowadays, some people who consider themselves "Christians" do borrow from Buddhism.
I personally knew a guy who considered himself a "Zen Christian."
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Zakattack

Post by Zakattack »

ground wrote:No. It is obvious that before you write " impermanence, unsatisfactoriness, not-self & Nibbana" there must have arisen the idea corresponding to these words. Now you seem to insist that your ideas are more than just ideas for which you can never provide evidence.
Evidence was provided. When water evaporates, is that evaporation an idea? When the body decays, is that decay an idea? When breathing changes, is that change an idea? If those examples of impermanence were ideas then that impermanence could be stopped by changing the idea. But since ideas cannot stop impermanence, impermanence is not an idea. For your consideration, Buddha taught, for the 'birth' of five arahants:
"Form, monks, is not self. If form were the self, this form would not lend itself to disease. It would be possible [to say] with regard to form, 'Let this form be thus. Let this form not be thus.' But precisely because form is not self, form lends itself to disease. And it is not possible [to say] with regard to form, 'Let this form be thus. Let this form not be thus.'

"Feeling is not self...

"Perception is not self...

"[Mental] fabrications are not self...

"Consciousness is not self. If consciousness were the self, this consciousness would not lend itself to disease. It would be possible [to say] with regard to consciousness, 'Let my consciousness be thus. Let my consciousness not be thus.' But precisely because consciousness is not self, consciousness lends itself to disease. And it is not possible [to say] with regard to consciousness, 'Let my consciousness be thus. Let my consciousness not be thus.'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Zakattack

Post by Zakattack »

alan wrote:Christianity is nonsense, and it did not borrow from Buddhism. The idea itself is preposterous.
For Israel, Jesus provided what are regarded to be a number of revolutionary teachings, such as "Love Thy Enemy", "Be Perfect in Love", "Good Samaritan", "Forgive 777 times", etc. These teachings have no root in Judaism. Much of the OT is prayers for revenge upon an enemy. But most, if not all, of the revolutionary teachings have roots in Buddhism. The language of Jesus, such as "actions & fruits", "not thirsting (tanha) again", "cultivating (bhavana) a field (gocara)", "spiritual friend (kalyanamitta)", "born again", "Kingdom of Heaven (Brahma Loka)", etc, have roots in Buddhism. The notion of "God is Love" also has its root in the Brahma Vihara & particularly Tevijja Sutta. Although metta rather than enlightenment teachings, they are likely borrowed from Buddhism.

:)