School teacher -- a good career choice for a layperson?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

School teacher -- a good career choice for a layperson?

Postby pascal » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:40 pm

Hi,

do you think becoming a school teacher would be a good career choice for a lay Buddhist practitioner? I'm currently considering this (even though the option to ordain as a monk is also on my table), and I'd like to know if there are any serious downsides to it, from your perspective.

pascal
pascal

Re: School teacher -- a good career choice for a layperson?

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:06 pm

pascal wrote:Hi,

do you think becoming a school teacher would be a good career choice for a lay Buddhist practitioner? I'm currently considering this (even though the option to ordain as a monk is also on my table), and I'd like to know if there are any serious downsides to it, from your perspective.

pascal

It is not wrong livelihood so it is a fine career choice. although i would imagine it would be stressful, hopefully a member who is a teacher would be able to answer more specific issues the job has.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby James the Giant » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:42 pm

Teaching elementary school children for a year cured me both of my desire to be a teacher, and also of my desire to have children of my own.
But it's pretty wholesome as careers go, just about as maximally wholesome as can be, if you are a good person.
I can't think of any downsides. Apart from having to be around children all the time.
The pay for the first few years is pretty small, but sufficient if you are frugal. Lots of holidays.
But you do more work than you are actually paid for during term time.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
James the Giant

Postby Aloka » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:56 pm

pascal wrote:Hi,

pascal

Hi pascal,

I'm a fully qualified secondary school teacher ( ages 11 to 18) and I think its a good career choice if you are prepared to work longer hours than the job description, deliver interesting lessons, be dedicated to the well-being of your students and be able to let it all go in your free time!

with kind wishes,

Aloka
Aloka

Postby Monkey Mind » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:28 pm

And you have to accept that there is a lot about "teaching" that is beyond your control, decisions made by school administrators or state or national legislation that seems harmful to students. You, as a representative of the school system, have to accept these policies even if you believe them to be harmful.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Monkey Mind

Postby David2 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:31 pm

I think there are two kinds of people:

One kind of people prefer to work with children, the other kind of people prefer to work with adults.

If you think that you are one of the first kind of people, then working as a school teacher is probably a good choice. :smile:
David2

Postby Mawkish1983 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:38 pm

I'm a teacher. There are no downsides.
Mawkish1983

Postby Billymac29 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:50 pm

Im a teacher... There are downsides.. teaching can come with a lot of stress... Both from the students and administration. The subject your teaching and grade have a lot to do with how many downsides there are.... Teachers in New Jersey are slowly being forced to teach a certain kind of way only... No more creativity or subjectivity will be aloud... And you have to discipline!!! So if you dont want to get upset and deal with disciplinary issues at least once a day, then I would stay away from teaching.... Its definitely a challenge to you practice.

may all be well
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
Billymac29

Postby daverupa » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Billymac29 wrote:Im a teacher... The subject your teaching

*you're

:stirthepot:

:heart:
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:11 pm

daverupa wrote:

*you're

is that revenge for all those boring lessons from your school days? :tongue:
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Kim OHara » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:31 pm

Cittasanto wrote:
daverupa wrote:

*you're

is that revenge for all those boring lessons from your school days? :tongue:

Probably not. Probably the result of a teacher's compulsive urge to correct people - I suffer from it, too.

More seriously, I agree with all those people who said it's right up near the top of the 'right livelihood' table, along with the other helping professions - medicine, social work, etc.
The bureaucratic rubbish is generally no worse than you would get in other jobs.
How enjoyable or stressful it is depends partly on you and to an even greater extent on where, what and who you end up teaching. The gap between the poorest schools and the richest is huge - resources and (just as importantly) parental support. The differences between young and older students are important, too: younger kids are (generally) nicer to work with but require more patience, while teenagers are ... teenagers :tongue:

:namaste:
Kim
Kim OHara

Postby Billymac29 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:00 pm

daverupa wrote:

*you're

lol..... I'm a high school math teacher.... but thanks for the correction..
;)
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
Billymac29

Postby Mawkish1983 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:40 am

Billymac29 wrote:
daverupa wrote:

*you're

lol..... I'm a high school math teacher.... but thanks for the correction..
;)

In the UK all teachers must be 'teachers of literacy', even at its most basic level, regardless of their subject. I'm physics teacher.

I disagree with you about the stress: choose not to be stressed. You're there for the children, not the governors.

I disagree with you about the behaviour problems: children will get away with what they are allowed (not 'aloud', as in your post) to get away with. In my - admittedly short - career so far, I've never had significant behaviour problems even though my colleagues have. Why? I have to assume it is because the children don't want to misbehave; either because they love physics so much (unlikely), or because they enjoy the lessons so much, or because they understand that even the most minor of misdemeanors will not be tolerated by me.

I've heard teachers complain about having to work throughout their own time. My response is, manage your time better. I never work at weekends or in the evenings after 4pm (unless there is a parent consultation evening at school, seven per year).

I've heard teachers complain that the pay is poor. How much do you really need to earn? I have a nice house, run two cars, eat well and generally don't think about money. When I need it, it's there. (My wife and I are both physics teachers).

Thirteen weeks of holiday (or 'vacation' if you're American, I think) per year. How much more free time do you need?

The best part is, I've never laughed so much as when I've been teaching. Children are brilliantly funny, insightfully clever, as quick witted as any stand up comedian you'd pay to meet.

Purely selfishly, teaching is a great career choice. The fact that you are working to help young people make a decent life for themselves and, hence, generating merit is a subsidiary bonus.

I never wanted to be a teacher, but causality lead me here. How glad I am that my kamma bore such beautiful fruit! Teachers need to stop complaining about their jobs.

Work night shifts at McDonalds. I did. Then you'll understand.
Mawkish1983

Postby Billymac29 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:41 pm

In the UK all teachers must be 'teachers of literacy', even at its most basic level, regardless of their subject. I'm physics teacher.

*(you're) a physics teacher

I disagree with you about the stress: choose not to be stressed. You're there for the children, not the governors.

I disagree with you about the behaviour problems: children will get away with what they are allowed (not 'aloud', as in your post) to get away with. In my - admittedly short - career so far, I've never had significant behaviour problems even though my colleagues have. Why? I have to assume it is because the children don't want to misbehave; either because they love physics so much (unlikely), or because they enjoy the lessons so much, or because they understand that even the most minor of misdemeanors will not be tolerated by me.

This type of talk is purely judgemental. I was speaking of my experience of which you know nothing of.. Have you ever taught at risk youths? Children with behavior problems? Children who have been kicked out of mainstream school because of behavior issues?

You teach PHYSICS! Oh what joy I would have to teach physics in my new school.. Totally different type of students in those classes.

Like I said earlier. It all depends on what you teach, who you teach, and where you teach.

You can only speak of your experience. Please don't try and judge me on mine.
thank you

:)
Billymac29

Postby Billymac29 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:42 pm

Thirteen weeks of holiday (or 'vacation' if you're American, I think) per year.

this is incorrect
Billymac29

Postby Mawkish1983 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:59 pm

Billymac29 wrote:Have you ever taught at risk youths? Children with behavior problems? Children who have been kicked out of mainstream school because of behavior issues?
I don't believe it to be relevant, but yes, for seven weeks I was at just such a school.
Billymac29 wrote:You teach PHYSICS! Oh what joy I would have to teach physics in my new school.. Totally different type of students in those classes.
In the UK, science education is compulsory. Not a different type of student whatsoever. No-one made you choose your subject, but ALL subjects can be made engaging.
Billymac29 wrote:Like I said earlier. It all depends on what you teach, who you teach, and where you teach.
No, it doesn't.
Billymac29 wrote:You can only speak of your experience. Please don't try and judge me on mine.
I didn't.
Mawkish1983

Postby Mawkish1983 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:00 pm

Billymac29 wrote:

this is incorrect
No, it isn't (in the UK).
Mawkish1983

Postby Billymac29 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:10 pm

Mawkish1983 wrote:
Billymac29 wrote:

this is incorrect
No, it isn't (in the UK).

I was talking about in America.

may all be well
Billymac29

Postby Billymac29 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:40 pm

Mawkish1983 wrote:I don't believe it to be relevant, but yes, for seven weeks I was at just such a school.

Nope, not surprised that you wouldn't see it as relevant. You taught physics to alternative kids for 7 weeks??? What kind of alternative school was that?? Nevermind, I don't wanna know. We are obviously not talking about the same "type" of school.
Mawkish1983 wrote:In the UK, science education is compulsory. Not a different type of student whatsoever.

science is mandatory here too. physic classes are much easier to teach. :stirthepot:
Mawkish1983 wrote:No-one made you choose your subject, but ALL subjects can be made engaging.

I never said anybody did force me. And I didn't say I didn't like math. i never said anything about engaging kids or not. thats your rhetoric. You seem to be pretty horrible at assuming things. That whole comment of yours is just weird.
Like I said earlier. It all depends on what you teach, who you teach, and where you teach.
Mawkish1983 wrote:No, it doesn't.

yes it does ;)
Billymac29 wrote:You can only speak of your experience. Please don't try and judge me on mine.
Mawkish1983 wrote:I didn't.

okie dokie
Billymac29

Postby Billymac29 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:02 am

Mawkish1983 wrote:In my - admittedly short - career so far, I've never had significant behaviour problems even though my colleagues have. Why?

Wait a minute.. Have you only been teaching for 4 months???? Please get some experience before making outlandish remarks..
Billymac29

Next

Return to Open Dhamma