yoga, taiji, qigong

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

yoga, taiji, qigong

Postby jcsuperstar » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:22 am

does anyone practice any of these arts or similar arts?
i used to do both qigong and taiji (also wingchun but thats pretty much just a fighting art) and i remember being a much better meditator when i was doing these things.
my girlfriend does yoga sometimes, she used to do it more, (she actually calls it "playing yoga" which i find cute) but i think it's all just physical for her. and a monk i'm friends with also does yoga (he learned in india) but again just a physical thing for him.
my ex zen master studied yoga in india but quit saying he only does meditaion now so maybe it is useless to meditators at some point?

i dont know.

what are your practices? your thoughts?

:namaste: :meditate: :yingyang:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Re: yoga, taiji, qigong

Postby Prasadachitta » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:32 am

I practice yoga and I find it a great way to practice Satipatthana. I am also aware of subtle energetic sensations which are related to how my awairness is localized and how that localization is moved and spread. These sensations correspond to and seem to fuel my bodies level of energy. While meditating I am able to bring forth this kind of energetic thrust when I feel Im becoming prone to sloth and torpor. I am trying to describe something which is not that easy to get at and I am not the most eloquent person.

I hope this helps.

Gabriel
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Prasadachitta

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:28 am

I do tai chi ( not very well! ) and find that it complements meditation / mindfulness of the body - IMO it's a good practice because it's gentle and can be done by just about anyone. I just wish I could remember the form :jumping:
I used to do yoga but found it boring and slightly masochistic :tongue:

Rick
Spiny O'Norman

Postby jcsuperstar » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:20 am

yeah i dont remember my forms anymore either... so sad. my girlfriend and i have talked about taking up taiji when we live together.. it'd be nice to have a partner, my exwife and i did chen taiji for a bit but i dont think she really was into it.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby Guy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:51 pm

I practice a martial art system called "Yang Mian" which is a form of Qi Gong based upon soft, flowing movements and has a lot of the same health benefits as Tai Chi. Even though it was primarily created for fighting, and has proven to be effective on the street, I have no intentions of fighting anyone and think it can be used as a skilful form of exercise. This particular system is very good for physical health over the long term since it works with the body's natural movements and momentum, during and immediately after it leaves you with a mental and physical sensation similar to "runner's high" but without the long term knee damage. It's also suitable for almost anyone in reasonable condition over the age of 16.

With Metta,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Guy

Return to Open Dhamma