Genocide in Burma: Monks and Perpetuation of Violence

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Alex123

Re: Genocide in Burma: Monks and Perpetuation of Violence

Post by Alex123 »

Holdan wrote:
Alex123 wrote:Did the Buddha ever tell the king, "We need democracy, freedom for slaves, and no capital punishment"? No. Buddha took for granted the absolute power of the King, slavery, torture and capital punishment. The Buddha did not recommend this to the Bhikkhus.

He never outlawed army, etc.
You appear to have not comprehended Buddha. Buddha gave advice to those who sought it from him. Buddha did not evangelise publically. Also, I trust you are aware of the sutta about being a soldier, where Buddha explained the karmic consequences of being a soldier (Yodhajiva Sutta: To Yodhajiva (The Warrior)).
This is why there are Bhikkhus (who should stay out of politics and war) and soldiers whose job isn't exactly to give out cookies.
Holdan

Post by Holdan »

Alex123 wrote:I am not sure if Theravada is "stronger" than Mahayana schools. Maybe because Muslims didn't get there.
Islam is in Thailand & Burma. What is called Malaysia was once Thai territory. I provided to example of how Buddhism was destroyed in Tibet. If the Tibetans were unable to escape to India then it would be extinct.
Holdan

Post by Holdan »

Ajatashatru wrote:It is interesting to note that the Dalai Lama justified the testing of nuclear weapons by India in 1998. What is your guys take on that? Will you just not agree with his views because he is Vajrayana?
I do not need to be a Buddhist to disagree with Dalai Lama. :|
Holdan

Post by Holdan »

Alex123 wrote:This is why there are Bhikkhus (who should stay out of politics and war) and soldiers whose job isn't exactly to give out cookies.
Finally, you acknowledged & confessed how wrong you & Ajatashatru were in your respective perverted views. Well done! :namaste:
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Holdan wrote:
Alex123 wrote:I am not sure if Theravada is "stronger" than Mahayana schools. Maybe because Muslims didn't get there.
Islam is in Thailand & Burma. What is called Malaysia was once Thai territory. I provided to example of how Buddhism was destroyed in Tibet. If the Tibetans were unable to escape to India then it would be extinct.
If they would have more power and follow what their "Holy" book teaches:
4:91 "Take them and kill them wherever ye find them. Against such We have given you clear warrant."
2:193 And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah. But if they desist, then let there be no hostility except against wrong-doers.
http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/q ... rance.html
Holdan

Post by Holdan »

Alex123 wrote:If they would have more power and follow what their "Holy" book teaches:
4:91 "Take them and kill them wherever ye find them. Against such We have given you clear warrant."
2:193 And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah. But if they desist, then let there be no hostility except against wrong-doers.
http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/q ... rance.html
This is wrong view (micca ditti). Buddha explained violent karma leads to bad results. But you seem to be inferring an ethic of killing will lead to good results.

The violence within Islam has resulted in: (i) it being detested by the rest of the world; (ii) it, as a military political force, being defeated by the rest of the world; and (iii) its cultures & nations being characterised by in-fighting, civil wars, sectarian violence, dictators, etc. Imperialist political Islam eventually crumbled from within & from without. Yet you appear to fear it. Islam has nothing to fear but itself. Buddha has correctly explained violence & war do not bring beneficial results to any party. Imperialist political Islam is testament to this. It crumbled from a great culture into backwardness.

:sage:
Ben

Post by Ben »

I think this is a convenient point to close this discussion before the thread goes any further off-topic and becomes a vehicle to denigrate another spiritual path.
Thank you all for your input.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..