Buddhism & Alcohol

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Buddhism & Alcohol

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Recent news I heard is that US Tobacco companies are going to have to advertise that they lied to consumers about the effects of tobacco, and intentionally made cigarettes more addictive.

I wonder how long it will be before alcohol manufacturers will have to face the same class legal actions from consumers and punishments from the authorities?

Never, is my best guess.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
nem

Post by nem »

I find that all the sensual pleasures go together. If I am involved with the opposite sex (women), I tend to drink. Drink in the process of finding them, and drink in the process of keeping them happy, and drink in the process of losing them. :juggling: It makes me understand the value of the monastic life.

Metta and best wishes with your struggle
alan...

Post by alan... »

alcohol is easily countered with dhamma. this is not to say it will be easy from day one but that once you get good at practicing meditation and mindfulness it will be easy to stay sober.

i'm reposting my post from another thread because it is appropriate:

just know that there is a point of no return in the dhamma. in the beginning it's novel and has some good results, but backsliding is always a risk and there are things that seem like they could be more fun than the dhamma. however there is a point in which you see deeply into reality and it changes the way you think. after this happens you will never relapse or even think about alcohol again. it will seem pointless.

one really good trick is to learn jhana. the bliss one can achieve is said to be much better than literally anything else. so by comparison it's like "why did i ever use intoxicants before when this is readily available, has reverse tolerance effect and is FREE?" i am very much a meditation junky. without it i would possibly fall off the wagon, but hey, it's step eight on the eightfold path and the buddha assures us that there is no ill effect from enjoying the bliss, so i see no problem with this. especially this is important because it becomes quite obvious that only through regular practice and complete sobriety will you be able to enter into jhana. thus, again, intoxicants are a laughable option you probably won't even consider. you get free bliss for as long as you want every day and it gets better and better, using an intoxicant will not feel as good as this and then will hinder your ability to achieve the much higher state of jhana! so it's like trading a brand new high end car for a dangerously malfunctioning, out dated go cart. totally absurd.
Ruralist

Post by Ruralist »

if you are struggling in the initial stages or finding maintenance due to social conventions difficult, consider reading this book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kick-Drink-Easi ... 1845903900
it's excellent at deconstructing the image and association with alcohol that a lot of westerners have, myself included. i'm unsure of your location (it's irrelevant really) however i do feel that people brought up in cultures and societies where alcohol is not such a normal part of everyday life often struggle to empathise with those for whom interactions with alcohol/people that drink alcohol are commonplace on a day to day basis.
"Let monkeys be monkeys without getting emotionally involved. Peace can be born within you because you know the way monkeys are. Knowing the manner of monkeys, you will let go and be at peace, not getting tied up in monkey business." Ven. Ajahn Chah