Be like water

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
purple planet

Re: Be like water

Post by purple planet »

Im not looking for metaphors all the time - and im not fixated on this alone but

it would just be super helpful to have this one good metaphor about water :" be flexible be persistent and you can overcome everything " but can water overcome rock on the buttom of a lake ? no

(if i could meditate i would but i need some motivational help - and a good metaphor is extremely helpful at least on me it is- i usually like to hear about this but im sure it will help me (if i wont find a solution to this thats fine but nothing wrong in trying))
Ben

Post by Ben »

Then I recommend that you go back to the quote I posted earlier in the thread. The sutta, delivered to Rahula, is incredibly powerful and profound.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

Thats a good quote i like all posts that were posted here - i allready saw that spesific quote its very nice the more water quotes the better but this water idiom has allready helped me a lot and is giving me motivation - im not looking for it to be perfect probobly water dosnt "act" the way it does to make a good idiom for me - but it would be helpful to try and understand it more - i meditate and everything now - but it would be nice to understand water more - maybe i should open a new thread that just is about water route sciencetifically ?

so about my question i found this : http://www.livescience.com/1312-huge-oc ... earth.html
its about how scientists have found evidence of water under the sea floor

i wonder how it got there - did it seep there under the ocean floor - or was it there to begin with ? if it seeped down then its great for the idiom - that water can allways overcome anything - But that might be only in certain parts - cause water cant seep under a solid rock