What motivates Arahant?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
santa100

Re: What motivates Arahant?

Post by santa100 »

Alex123 wrote:
But they do not cling to their body, so why eat? They don't cling to existence, and they don't cling to helping (to whatever extent that is possible) others either. Without clinging to the body (in order to...), one would die and be unable to help others.

As I understand it, certain perception of self is required to respond to stimuli such as hunger, heat, cold, danger, etc. One protects oneself and one responds accordingly because one knows that "I am in danger or discomfort therefor I, not someone else, need to do something". IMHO
But why can't arahants eat after their enlightenment? Starving oneself to death on purpose is the same as killing a sentient being, thus breaking the 1st Precept, something an arahant wouldn't do..
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Motivation isn't the same as clinging or craving.

There can be sankhara, in other words, which are wholly unrelated to raga, dosa, moha, and these sankhara can be found amongst the five aggregates of an arahant, even though the aggregates are no longer subject to clinging. Compassion is a motive of this sort, for example.

Arahants still experience five aggregates, not just four...
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

santa100 wrote:But why can't arahants eat after their enlightenment?
Arahant has no perception of "I, me, mine" so how can he know that "I am hungry and I need to eat or I will die".

This is what I wonder.
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Just because he/she does not identify with the aggregates does not mean he/she understands no distinction between one being and another. He/she knows "this is hunger" and eats because it is appropriate/because she will die.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Coyote wrote:Just because he/she does not identify with the aggregates does not mean he/she understands no distinction between one being and another. .
But doesn't one need to identify with one's own aggregates to feed them, and not someone else's?
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Do you need to identify with a fellow hungry man's agregates in order to feed him?
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Modus.Ponens wrote:Do you need to identify with a fellow hungry man's agregates in order to feed him?
I need to know that I am one person and he is another person. He is hungry not me, so I feed him and not me.

If I am hungry, then I need to eat, not him. I need to distinguish him from me. So one needs to perceive identity and difference.
Gena1480

Post by Gena1480 »

The Arahant abandon greed,delusion,anger
so the actions come from non-greed,non-delusion,non-anger.
he is untraceable
yet if you follow the path he took.
you will arrive at same destination.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Alex123 wrote:If I am hungry, then I need to eat, not him. I need to distinguish him from me. So one needs to perceive identity and difference.
Alex, what you need to do is find out what motivates you, not what motivates Arahants.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Alex123 wrote:...they do not cling to their body, so why eat?
Why not eat? To not seek food is also a choice.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Alex123 wrote:
santa100 wrote:But why can't arahants eat after their enlightenment?
Arahant has no perception of "I, me, mine" so how can he know that "I am hungry and I need to eat or I will die".

This is what I wonder.
Enlightenment is wisdom, not ignorance. Where does it say that an arahant is unable to perceive "I am hungry"? That seems like it would be ignorance, not wisdom.

In "the Not-Self Strategy", Ven. Thanissaro points out that "selfing" is an activity that we all do with ignorance. An arahant can still "self" but he does it with wisdom and compassion, seeing that there is actually no real and substantial self.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Alex123 wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:
Alex123 wrote: If there is no perception of self, then there is no perception of other self to feel compassion for.
there maybe a perception of beings, rather than selves. there is a difference.
Can you please explain the difference between "perception of beings" and "selves" ?
The self is no more than a combination of parts, kamma, mind & body... but although there is no-thing that can be called a self or should be held as a self doesn't mean that the combination of parts is absent. it only means that there is a combination of parts, not, as assumed, that there is a self.

That is only my understanding anyway.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Buckwheat wrote:
Alex123 wrote:...they do not cling to their body, so why eat?
Why not eat? To not seek food is also a choice.
Not doing something doesn't have to be actively doing the opposite.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Buckwheat wrote: Where does it say that an arahant is unable to perceive "I am hungry"?
Because Arahant doesn't have "I, me, mine".
Buckwheat wrote:
An arahant can still "self" but he does it with wisdom and compassion, seeing that there is actually no real and substantial self.
Doesn't this contradict anatta? Can self be unreal and non-substantial (if there is no self, then it cannot have any properties)?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
Alex123 wrote:If I am hungry, then I need to eat, not him. I need to distinguish him from me. So one needs to perceive identity and difference.
Alex, what you need to do is find out what motivates you, not what motivates Arahants.
Well said, Bhante!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..