Do you believe in rebirth?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?

Do you believe in rebirth?

Yes
72%
No
7%
Don't know/not sure
7%
Don't care/not important
14%

Total votes: 29

Jechbi

Re: Do you believe in rebirth?

Post by Jechbi »

Ben wrote:Also remember, Saddha (faith/confidence) is one of the seven bojjhangas (factors of enlightenment).
We should distinguish between the meaning of the word "beliefs" and the meaning of the word "Saddha," which has to do with conviction in a course of action, not in a descriptive proposition.

From here:
Because conviction is focused not on a descriptive proposition but on a course of action — the skillful mastery of the processes of kamma in a social context — these aspects [social, intellectual and practical] are inextricably intertwined. The social aspect comes from the need to associate with people who have already mastered these processes, learning from their words and emulating their actions. The intellectual aspect — belief in the principle of kamma — is necessary because the development of skillfulness within the mind requires that one understand the nature of kamma, take responsibility for one's actions, and have conviction in one's ability to benefit from developing one's skills. The practical aspect is necessary, for if one does not follow through in developing skill, it shows that one's conviction in the development of skillfulness is not genuine, and that one is not fully benefiting from one's beliefs.
This doesn't mean we have to scorn beliefs. It just means we have to recognize that we all have beliefs (which are not self), just like we all have noses on our faces. I'm not going to scorn the nose on my face. But I'm also not going to treasure every booger that falls out of it.

Metta

p.s. I voted 'yes,' just for full disclosure.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Jechbi wrote:I'm not going to scorn the nose on my face. But I'm also not going to treasure every booger that falls out of it.
Who's treasuring belief? :tongue:
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks Jechbi
Jechbi wrote:
Ben wrote:Also remember, Saddha (faith/confidence) is one of the seven bojjhangas (factors of enlightenment).
We should distinguish between the meaning of the word "beliefs" and the meaning of the word "Saddha," which has to do with conviction in a course of action, not in a descriptive proposition.
I think that's an important point and not well understood distinction.
Regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
nathan

Post by nathan »

Peter wrote:Now there was knowledge. Now there was no more room for belief. But I wonder... what about up to that point?
In my case, because more than anything I considered it of the highest importance to be honest with myself, (or else why even bother seeking after truth) I admitted to myself that I did not know what to think and that because of that it was not possible for me to simply believe either something or anything. I recognized that before I would be satisfied with any kind of truth about anything I'd have to learn that truth beyond any doubt before I could accept it as irrefutable and undeniably the truth. That is the truth of my makeup in regards to anything and everything. So that is how I have gone about things. I have pursued anything and everything that could possibly lead to greater understanding regardless of the source. So now I am at the point where I 'know' all sorts of things beyond any doubt that most people do not believe.

There's nothing I can do about what people want to believe or not. However it may be that belief serves people, I do not begrudge anyone their use of it, I can't say it has ever served me but then my introduction to belief was in the form of indoctrination and domination; which is what I tend to continue to see as it's primary social role - to keep everyone 'in line'. Still, I have no reason to scorn anyone for believing anything they want or need to believe. However to be honest I have not used it or relied upon it and so I do not say that I have because that would be deceitful. I will note however that if this kind of disclosure is disturbing to some then I should be thankful to have had that made plain and I will not mention this again in the future and simply remain silent when such a question re-arises.
:anjali:
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
Guy

Post by Guy »

If you can recall your past lives, then would it be correct to vote "no"? Since it would be a fact that you have remembered, rather than a belief. You don't say "I believe I ate vegemite on toast for breakfast" if you clearly remember doing so, do you?
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
nathan

Post by nathan »

Guy wrote:If you can recall your past lives, then would it be correct to vote "no"? Since it would be a fact that you have remembered, rather than a belief. You don't say "I believe I ate vegemite on toast for breakfast" if you clearly remember doing so, do you?
You could say I had... or I know I had or I believe I had... You could say it either way and it should be correctly understood as having had said condiment on your toast for breakfast. However knowing that rebirth is a literal truth of existence is not an option on the survey and so I have not selected any of them.
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Guy

Well, that's why these sorts of discussions wth regards to kamma or rebirth tend to get 'interesting'. Not that I am suggesting that there is a sub-population of the membership at DW who can remember their past lives! (Maybe there is??). I think part of the difficulty lies in the fact that the path, for the vast majority of us, the path is characterised by the incremental revelation of the nature of reality via direct meditative experience (insight (naana:knowledge)). Yet many of us are living in or have grown up in cultures where a characteristic of the dominant religions is the power of salvation of belief. So I think it is not surprising that the quality of saddha (faith/confidence) in the Buddha Dhamma causes so much discussion.
The way that I look at it, saddha in Buddhism is a completely different beast to the absolute blind belief that one finds in, say, Christianity. In Buddhism, faith is a factor that leads one to insight. One cannot even begin to walk on the path without a scintilla of faith in a number of fundamental assumptions, including, a belief that there must be a better, happier, more wholesome, way of life. Then as we begin to practice Dhamma and we begin to notice some of the benefits for ourselves, there is the confidence that grows in the Dhamma. No doubt it is built on directly experiencing the benefits of practice, but it is also built on saddha (faith/confidence). If we had the attitude that something had to be proven to us before we would accept it, then we wouldn't even begin on the path.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

No doubt it is built on directly experiencing the benefits of practice, but it is also built on saddha (faith/confidence). If we had the attitude that something had to be proven to us before we would accept it, then we wouldn't even begin on the path.

I agree :goodpost:

However doesnt some of it get proven before we start, the first noble truth for example as well as anicca
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Guy wrote:If you can recall your past lives, then would it be correct to vote "no"? Since it would be a fact that you have remembered, rather than a belief. You don't say "I believe I ate vegemite on toast for breakfast" if you clearly remember doing so, do you?

I think the thread is about belief or disbelief in something that you have no knowledge of

If someone did remember living before then it wouldnt be a belief

metta
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
uniformsquare

Post by uniformsquare »

It seems I am the only one that has chosen, Don't know/not sure. I am told by others this is true but I am yet to verify this for myself, I wonder if it is beneficial to hold this view. I'm not really a man of faith, but I do have a number of working assumptions.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
uniformsquare wrote:It seems I am the only one that has chosen, Don't know/not sure. I am told by others this is true but I am yet to verify this for myself, I wonder if it is beneficial to hold this view. I'm not really a man of faith, but I do have a number of working assumptions.
That's fair enough. I "don't know" too, but I do believe.

Relevant topic from the Study Group...

MN Session 2 - MN 60. Apannaka Sutta
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
uniformsquare wrote:I "don't know" too, but I do believe.
Ditto... :pig:
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

When it comes to rebirth, it reminds me that very often that word "rebirth" appears to be taken for granted and everyone knows what exactly is meant.

imho there is birth and birth again and birth again and again and again and so on... but there is definitely no rebirth when this word means "reincarnation (mainly of something)". and when I say "birth" like in the sentence before, I don't just mean physical or bodily birth but also every appearance of any sankhārā depending on their cause or causes. there is birth every moment and there needn't to be physical death to be born again.

So, how I have to understand the question "Do you believe in rebirth?" or rather how have I to understand "rebirth" in this case?
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

I _don't know_ and hold no unknowing beliefs. What could I possibly base a belief in literal rebirth on?
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

pink_trike wrote:I _don't know_ and hold no unknowing beliefs. What could I possibly base a belief in literal rebirth on?
Isn't 'unknowing beliefs' an oxymoron?...and, like most everything else, 'belief' comes in varying shapes and sizes...I base my 'belief' (with a size and shape I'd have difficulty defining, probably because I don't try to) on the matter because the Buddha (so we're told) said this is the way it is: the endless cycle of birth, old age, sickness, and death...