Sujin Boriharnwanaket discussion...

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
tiltbillings

Re: Sujin Boriharnwanaket discussion...

Post by tiltbillings »

Alex123 wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:No. I am not going waste my time with another tedious and fruitless debate with you over something you know little about. If you want a discussion of Nagarjuna, go to Dharma Wheel. And you might actually read a carefully done analysis of and commentary on Nagarjuna by someone who knows of what they are speaking. This stupid book is not it, but I see why it would appeal to you.

Can you actually refute his arguments (or show link that refutes them) or are you just using "that book is stupid" as your argument?
And you are well enough versed in Nagarjuna to say that this book does an accurate and objective job of presenting Nagarjuna? This is a poorly resourced and researched book by someone who knows next to nothing of Buddhism, as the footnotes make so abundantly clear. Present this book on Dharma Wheel. Start an argument there. That would be interesting.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

tiltbillings wrote:
Alex123 wrote: Can you actually refute his arguments (or show link that refutes them) or are you just using "that book is stupid" as your argument?
And you are well enough versed in Nagarjuna to say that this book does an accurate and objective job of presenting Nagarjuna? This is a poorly resourced and researched book by someone who knows next to nothing of Buddhism, as the footnotes make so abundantly clear. Present this book on Dharma Wheel. Start an argument there. That would be interesting.
It presents Nagarjuna's arguments. It doesn't critique Buddhism. It just analyzes the logic that Nagarjuna is using. You are free to rebuke those arguments point by point, or cut-and-paste rebuttals here.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Alex123 wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
Alex123 wrote: Can you actually refute his arguments (or show link that refutes them) or are you just using "that book is stupid" as your argument?
It presents Nagarjuna's arguments. It doesn't critique Buddhism. It just analyzes the logic that Nagarjuna is using. You are free to rebuke those arguments point by point, or cut-and-paste rebuttals here.
I am not wasting my time on a useless book. And this is the end of this conversation.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Alex123 wrote: It presents Nagarjuna's arguments. It doesn't critique Buddhism. It just analyzes the logic that Nagarjuna is using. You are free to rebuke those arguments point by point, or cut-and-paste rebuttals here.
I'm sorry but I'm getting rather lost trying to follow this thread. What has this got to do with Sujin Boriharnwanaket?

Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Aloka wrote:
Alex123 wrote: It presents Nagarjuna's arguments. It doesn't critique Buddhism. It just analyzes the logic that Nagarjuna is using. You are free to rebuke those arguments point by point, or cut-and-paste rebuttals here.
I'm sorry but I'm getting rather lost trying to follow this thread. What has this got to do with Sujin Boriharnwanaket?
It was reply to post http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 40#p245688
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Aloka wrote:

Read the first few msg in this thread and you will see where Nagarjuna enters into it. Alex, on the other hand, wants to push the disussion in a different direction not really compatible with the OP.

Beautiful Breath

Post by Beautiful Breath »

Yeah, let's keep it real eh?

To clarify, my philosophical basis up to now has been the Mādhyamika, mostly via Nargajuna. I spoke at length with Sujin Boriharnwanaket in Thailand earlier this year and am intrigued in her stance and how it may differ from my view.

So be nice gentlemen and maybe we can get back on track...?

:anjali:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Beautiful Breath wrote:Yeah, let's keep it real eh?

To clarify, my philosophical basis up to now has been the Mādhyamika, mostly via Nargajuna. I spoke at length with Sujin Boriharnwanaket in Thailand earlier this year and am intrigued in her stance and how it may differ from my view.

So be nice gentlemen and maybe we can get back on track...?
In that case, substitute "Sujin Boriharnwanaket" into where it says "the Theravāda commentaries" in Nana's post here - http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 20#p245522 .

That sums it up neatly.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
binocular

Post by binocular »

Alex123 wrote:Prove it that it is "drivel".
Lol!
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

retrofuturist wrote:
Beautiful Breath wrote:
In that case, substitute "Sujin Boriharnwanaket" into where it says "the Theravāda commentaries" in Nana's post here - http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 20#p245522 .
Yes, that's what was being implied.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Alex, there is more substance here on the topic of logic in Nagarjuna http://philosophy740.wordpress.com/tag/ ... nagarjuna/ but it meanders somewhat and may be hard to follow. I will just say that Avi Sion has an extremely narrow interpretation of what Nagarjuna was trying to say and it is little doubt that he arrived at the conclusion he did.
_/|\_