More troubling news

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
alan

Re: More troubling news

Post by alan »

Proper Buddhists don't get into gangs and kill people, that much I know for sure.
binocular

Post by binocular »

So what are you going to do? Go to Burma and give all those monks a spanking?

Seriously. People keep complaining about what is going on in Burma. Why not do something?
Contact the president of Burma, contact UNO, various human rights organisations, etc. etc. and request them to do something.
Ask the Dalai Lama to do something. Get all the other Buddhist dignitaries and visible, influential monks together and request them to take some action.

Taking out one's gall at a forum isn't really helping anyone, least of all the Buddhists and the Muslims in Burma.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
alan

Post by alan »

Maybe I'll just give you a spanking.
binocular

Post by binocular »

You're not serious.

:(
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
alan

Post by alan »

Sure I am. Your attitude needs to be spanked. And I'm just the guy to do it.
householder

Post by householder »

binocular wrote:So what are you going to do? Go to Burma and give all those monks a spanking?

Seriously. People keep complaining about what is going on in Burma. Why not do something?
Contact the president of Burma, contact UNO, various human rights organisations, etc. etc. and request them to do something.
Ask the Dalai Lama to do something. Get all the other Buddhist dignitaries and visible, influential monks together and request them to take some action.

Taking out one's gall at a forum isn't really helping anyone, least of all the Buddhists and the Muslims in Burma.
Have done what little I can do and feel is appropriate on the ground as a white foreigner with no influence or sway over anyone whatsoever (hell I can't even influence or sway my own mind)...
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Is there any teaching of spanking in the sutra's???/
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
Vern Stevens

Post by Vern Stevens »

Is there any wonder that the monks in their situation might resort to violence when we can't even have a discussion on a forum without fussing and threatening physical violence?
“What we think, we become.“ - The Buddha
alan

Post by alan »

Yes, there's a wonder--they are supposed to be Monks. These people slander the Buddha and bring shame to their religion. Why is this not obvious?
binocular

Post by binocular »

alan wrote:Sure I am. Your attitude needs to be spanked. And I'm just the guy to do it.
No, you're just acting foolishly.

:shrug:
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Vern Stevens

Post by Vern Stevens »

alan wrote:Yes, there's a wonder--they are supposed to be Monks. These people slander the Buddha and bring shame to their religion. Why is this not obvious?
Monks are still human beings. Human beings still suffer. Suffering causes human beings to act unskillfully. That is what is obvious.
SDC

Post by SDC »

But should they be held accountable for these unskillful acts?
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Vern Stevens

Post by Vern Stevens »

SDC wrote:But should they be held accountable for these unskillful acts?
I'm not sure what system of law exists over in Burma, but I would guess if they are violating it, they should/could/will be held accountable. But, if your Buddhist beliefs include Karma, they will be held "accountable" regardless of the legal system in Burma. My concern is, if I am to be a Buddhist, should my response to the monks and their behavior be one of judgment and castigation or one of compassion and loving-kindness? It's easier to be a compassionate Buddhist when people are being nice and behaving themselves. It is much more difficult to be a compassionate Buddhist when people are acting out and being unskillful.

In my view, one can still be compassionate in holding people accountable for their actions; it is not an either / or proposition.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Sorry for not specifying, but I meant held accountable in regards to their violations of the monastic code. While they may be human beings, when they made the choice to ordain, didn't they agree to follow a certain code or face the possibility of no longer being a monk?
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Vern Stevens

Post by Vern Stevens »

SDC wrote:Sorry for not specifying, but I meant held accountable in regards to their violations of the monastic code. While they may be human beings, when they made the choice to ordain, didn't they agree to follow a certain code or face the possibility of no longer being a monk?
In my opinion, yes. If they took an oath (which if they are monks I assume they did) and there is evidence that they violated that oath, then whatever administrative process exists to evaluate their expulsion should be pursued.

My appeal for compassion should not be confused with any suggestion that people should not be held accountable for their actions.