"Bones of the Buddha" Film: King Ashoka and Buddha's Relics

Where members are free to take ideas from the Theravāda Canon out of the Theravāda framework. Here you can question rebirth, kamma (and other contentious issues) as well as examine Theravāda's connection to other paths
Anagarika

"Bones of the Buddha" Film: King Ashoka and Buddha's Relics

Postby Anagarika » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:58 pm

mettafuture

Re: "Bones of the Buddha" Film: King Ashoka and Buddha's Rel

Postby mettafuture » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:15 pm

I just watched it. It was really fascinating. Thank you.

Digger

Postby Digger » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:22 pm

I saw it on TV a few days ago. Very interesting. Definitely worth watching.
He is different. He thinks.

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:34 pm

I'm waiting for the DNA test of the Buddhas bones to see if hes related to the bones they dug up at Jesus's tomb in Jerusalem :jumping:
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community that has so generously given me so much, sincerely former monk John

Digger

Postby Digger » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:22 pm

I'm not saying that the bone fragments were definitely the Buddhas (might have been but who knows). The show was interesting from a historical perspective and to see the location now. There was a lot of hand crafted jewelery and ornaments uncovered that was maybe from the Buddhas time or maybe Asokas time. Just to see a time capsule opened from several thousand years ago was interesting to me. Who knows, it could have been a fraud (one of the gentlemen from the time the original dig was made was known to be a bit shady). Watch for yourself and see what you think.
He is different. He thinks.

Return to “Fringe Theravāda Discussion”