Deep listening (dadirri)

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
retrofuturist

Deep listening (dadirri)

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Aboriginal people practice deep listening, an almost spiritual skill, based on respect. Sometimes called ‘dadirri’, deep listening is inner, quiet, still awareness, and waiting.

Deep listening (dadirri)
http://www.creativespirits.info/aborigi ... ng-dadirri

Australian Aboriginal Wisdom
http://www.sharedwisdom.com/article/aus ... nal-wisdom

How you can experience dadirri?

Reserve a space regularly for about 5 minutes, in the morning or evening. Go outside if you can. Simply sit and look at and listen to the earth and environment that surrounds you.

Focus on something specific, such as a bird, a blade of grass, a clump of soil, cracked earth, a flower, bush or leaf, a cloud in the sky or a body of water, whatever you can see.

You can also let something find you, be it a leaf, the sound of a bird, the feel of the breeze, the light on a tree trunk. There’s no need to try, just wait a while.

Be still and silent and listen.

Following this quiet time, there may be, on occasion, value in expressing in some way your experience of this quiet, still listening. You may wish to talk about the experience or journal, write poetry, draw, paint or sing. This needs to be held in balance - the key to dadirri is in simply being, rather than in outcomes and activity.

:namaste:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Re: Deep listening (dadirri)

Post by tiltbillings »

Thanks.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Sometimes called ‘dadirri’, deep listening is inner, quiet, still awareness.....
Hi Retro,

Just as an aside, I much prefer to meditate outdoors (with eyes open).

:meditate:

Thich Nhat Hahn often talks about "Deep listening". Here he speaks to Oprah about about it (approx.three and a half minutes)

With kind wishes,

Aloka
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

retrofuturist wrote: Focus on something specific, such as a bird, a blade of grass, a clump of soil, cracked earth, a flower, bush or leaf, a cloud in the sky or a body of water, whatever you can see.
I have a daily session of watching waves break on the shore.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Thanks for this Retro.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
imagemarie

Post by imagemarie »

Thank-you. :anjali:

Didn't we do this this as children?

8-)
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Didn't we do this this as children?
Not me, I was a whiny and annoyed creature right from the start. My poor parents, gosh.
dagon

Post by dagon »

i have some reservations about aspects of these articles - i should reflect more before i say too much i guess. :thinking:

paul
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

retrofuturist wrote: Simply sit and look at and listen to the earth and environment that surrounds you.
This sounds rather like contemplation of the elements?
Buddha save me from new-agers!