Tattoo

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation
hryciuk
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Tattoo

Postby hryciuk » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:22 am

I am looking to get a tattoo on my wrist. i was hoping to get a Balinese Om symbol with Ganesha incorporated into it. I have seen the common Om symbol done in this manner, I was just wondering if it "made sense" to get the tattoo I am wanting, are the Balinese Om and Ganesha compatible together from a Buddhist perspective? I know this question might not make a lot of sense but I'm hoping someone can shed some light.

Thanks!

retrofuturist
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: Tattoo

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:25 am

Greetings,

hryciuk wrote:Are the Balinese Om and Ganesha compatible together from a Buddhist perspective?

From a traditional Theravada Buddhist perspective, both things are "out of scope" to the extent that neither are aspects of the Dhamma taught by the Buddha.

Being "out of scope" in such a way, there is no traditional perspective on them... neither am I aware of the Buddha addressing the matter of tattoos either.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)

Return to “Open Dhamma”