Is Ajahn Brahm...

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Is Ajahn Brahm...

Postby greggorious » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:54 pm

...turning his back on the more aesthetic elements of the Thai forest tradition? Although he seems fond of Ajahn Chah and his time in Thailand, he seems to diss it quite a bit too. He seems to make it all a lot more accessible for his lay community and to his Monks. I even heard him do a talk on his love for Buddha nature, which isn't a Theravada concept. He also seems to hold Bhikkuni's in a much higher esteem than a lot of Theravadin's do.
I just want to know what the deal is with him? I heard a rumor that he was expelled from the Thai monastic community, is this true?
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah
greggorious

Re: Is Ajahn Brahm...

Postby BlackBird » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:27 pm

If there's one thing I've learned recently, try and stay out of the politics - It usually only results in more greed hatred and delusion, not just in oneself but in others also.

Really what's important is this: When you listen to Ajahn Brahm's talks, do you find there is a lessening of the three roots in you, or do they become stronger? That is how you can know whether something is worth pursuing.

Personally Ajahn Brahm's teachings don't work for me. As a monk and community leader I think he does a stellar job though. But to each his own, just find what works for you don't focus on who may or may not have been expelled from this or that and who's got animosity here or there - That's low talk and the Buddha would not speak in praise of it.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:34 pm

The ordinations Ajahn Brahm did have been discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2545

Any other discussion might lead to gossip, so this is locked.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:38 pm

Greetings Greg,

I don't think that a topic setting up to answer the question "I just want to know what the deal is with him?" is going to be particularly productive.

A couple of the questions you ask are (in and of themselves) reasonable questions to ask, and you're welcome to pursue them individually in new and existing topics... but as it stands, a "what's his deal?" style topic really isn't appropriate at Dhamma Wheel, especially when it's being asked with regards to an ordained member of the Theravada Sangha who is held in high regard in many quarters.

If you're unclear of what is being asked here, feel free to PM me, David or another moderator.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Return to Open Dhamma