A zen teacher talks about breath meditation and the jhanas

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

A zen teacher talks about breath meditation and the jhanas

Postby m0rl0ck » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:20 pm

And im sure that this will upset some people, he actually seems to be recommending them. The talk is happing now http://wzen.org/broadcast-schedule/sun/
Click the upper right of the page for the pop up window with the talk audio.
"When you meditate, don't send your mind outside. Don't fasten onto any knowledge at all. Whatever knowledge you've gained from books or teachers, don't bring it in to complicate things. Cut away all preoccupations, and then as you meditate let all your knowledge come from what's going on in the mind. When the mind is quiet, you'll know it for yourself. But you have to keep meditating a lot. When the time comes for things to develop, they'll develop on their own. Whatever you know, have it come from your own mind.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... eleft.html
m0rl0ck

Re: A zen teacher talks about breath meditation and the jhan

Postby m0rl0ck » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:16 pm

their actual streaming broad cast seems to be running an hour ahead of their posted schedule, so that a program listed for 1pm actually comes on at noon.
Today the first two parts of the series "Opening the Gate" will be on. Interesting hearing a zen teacher talk about the jhanas.
"When you meditate, don't send your mind outside. Don't fasten onto any knowledge at all. Whatever knowledge you've gained from books or teachers, don't bring it in to complicate things. Cut away all preoccupations, and then as you meditate let all your knowledge come from what's going on in the mind. When the mind is quiet, you'll know it for yourself. But you have to keep meditating a lot. When the time comes for things to develop, they'll develop on their own. Whatever you know, have it come from your own mind.
m0rl0ck

Postby fivebells » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Hmm, didn't work for me yesterday, but today I've got dhamma coming through my speakers. But how do I listen to the talk you're referring to? All I seem to be able to get at the moment is some kind of live stream.
fivebells

Postby fivebells » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:00 pm

This format kind of sucks. Why not let people download talks at their convenience? Is there some kind of massive bandwidth savings from pretending that we're all listening to the same radio waves? Also, it just played Dar Williams's
Are You Out There, which I am pretty sure is not good dhamma. :-)

It looks like "Opening the Gate" is on again tomorrow at 5-7, so I'll try to keep an ear out for it then.
fivebells

Postby fivebells » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:41 pm

This talk came on. (The one by Konrad Ryushin Marchaj Sensei, "Opening the Gate", right?) The scheduling confuses me.

Anyway, the talk is excellent. Listening to it as I work, so only half an ear, but he is saying a lot of profound, accurate-sounding stuff.
fivebells

Postby m0rl0ck » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:01 pm

Yeah it was a great series. You dont hear zen teachers talking alot about stages and states of concentration. I dont like the format much my self and wish they had those four talks available for download.
m0rl0ck

Postby Samma » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:26 am

Looks like he came from 'vipassana meditation' otherwise chance of talking about it would be near nil eh:
Ryushin Sensei is the abbot and resident teacher of Zen Mountain Monastery. Ryushin Sensei came to the dharma through Vipassana meditation, eventually shifting to Zen practice and taking Daido Roshi as his teacher in 1987. After a medical career that included pediatrics and psychiatry, he entered full-time residential training in 1992; he received dharma transmission from Daido Roshi in 2009

Some writings:
https://zmm.mro.org/teachings/category/ ... in-sensei/

But I doubt i get around to listening to this one without a download...
Samma

Return to Open Dhamma