Brian Ruhe and Representation

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Brian Ruhe and Representation

Post by DNS »

Kamran wrote:Yesterday, this billionaire banker was hanged.
"Mahafarid Amir-Khosravi was executed at Tehran's Evin prison on Saturday.
There are good and bad people in every profession.

Anāthapiṇḍika was a banker, very generous, and a sotāpanna.

http://www.aimwell.org/DPPN/anaathapindika.htm
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

Rightly put, David.

Generalized aversion towards bankers is equally as deluded as towards any other group of people - regardless of gender, "race", nationality, sexual orientation etc.

Righteous criticism could be adressed towards patterns and manerisms, a behaviour of how certain people deal with others. The world is thankfully not as simple as Mr. Hitler thought it is. So let's get back to the real causes: greed, hatred and delusion. No other sources needed. And please everybody stop looking for scapegoats for anything. That brings up hindrances.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

David N. Snyder wrote:

The term international banker has long been racist code for "Jew."
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

rowboat wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:

The term international banker has long been racist code for "Jew."
Actually, that depends on what conspiracy theories you subscribe to. For the anti-Semetic ones, that is more or less true.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

Actually, that depends on what conspiracy theories you subscribe to. For the anti-Semetic ones, that is more or less true.
I subscribe to? And what is this "actually" about? Do you believe you are correcting me about something? Considering the topic is Brian Ruhe's eccentric and troubling views about Hitler, don't you think the anti-Semitic usage is appropriate?
Ud 5.5
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

rowboat wrote:
I subscribe to? And what is this "actually" about? Do you believe you are correcting me about something? Considering the topic is Brian Ruhe's eccentric and troubling views about Hitler, don't you think the anti-Semitic usage is appropriate?
Sorry, by saying "you" I didn't mean "you, rowboat". Just a general "you". I should have used "one".
Dr. Dukkha

Post by Dr. Dukkha »

I'm a Jewish Buddhist who used to be a huge conspiracy theorist and did not favor Jews for them being a large percentage of people ruining the world. I understand Hitler's intentions and I know there was a hint of correctness to what he did, although it was absolutely dreadful. But today, I decided to leave conspiracy theories to find joy in the Buddhist practice. I reviewed the eightfold path and everything. Then I accidentally came across Brian's videos and now I'm all disturbed again.

Now I don't know whether to steadily aim towards a peaceful, but selfish enlightenment (which may now be very difficult) or educate people about these banker criminals and start a revolution filled with the negative karma of wrong view.

I would much rather let it all go and stick the Buddhist path but this is something that's very hard to detach from. I've been a conspiracy theorist and anarchist for about five years now.

I could use some good advice on how to detach or if there's a particular path that is recommended.
"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting."
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Dr. Dukkha wrote:I'm a Jewish Buddhist who used to be a huge conspiracy theorist and did not favor Jews for them being a large percentage of people ruining the world. I understand Hitler's intentions and I know there was a hint of correctness to what he did, although it was absolutely dreadful. But today, I decided to leave conspiracy theories to find joy in the Buddhist practice. I reviewed the eightfold path and everything. Then I accidentally came across Brian's videos and now I'm all disturbed again.

Now I don't know whether to steadily aim towards a peaceful, but selfish enlightenment (which may now be very difficult) or educate people about these banker criminals and start a revolution filled with the negative karma of wrong view.

I would much rather let it all go and stick the Buddhist path but this is something that's very hard to detach from. I've been a conspiracy theorist and anarchist for about five years now.

I could use some good advice on how to detach or if there's a particular path that is recommended.
I think the best thing to do to break the habit is not to give conspiracy theories your attention. Any websites or books you read, people you may listen to, people you talk to about conspiracies, or anything related to conspiracies at all should be avoided and you shouldn't bring the topic up.

For conspiracy theories to have a strong effect on you, they must be believed in. For them to be believed in, they must be fed with information. For them to be fed with information, information must be sought out by your own choice. Stop feeding yourself this sort of information by not seeking it out and eventually their coercive power will fade.
MN 19 wrote:Bhikkhus, whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Dr. Dukkha wrote: I understand Hitler's intentions and I know there was a hint of correctness to what he did
A hint of correctness? Are you serious? Even if you do hate these so-called evil bankers, is murdering them and all their relatives who have nothing to do with banking, a wise or correct move?
You have a choice between love or hate. Seems like a no-brainer to me, which is best.

"Hate never ceases by hatred, only love dispels hate.
This is an ancient and timeless law
."
Dhammapada 5
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Mr. Ruhe has an interesting new video:

"What holds attention determines action." - William James
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

It appears that Brian Ruhe is in fact a Neo-Nazi. Here is Brian Ruhe's other Youtube channel, "The Truth Search Channel" where he has posted videos with titles like "The Messiah Adolf Hitler Led Us Into the Galaxy" and "Brian Ruhe Does The Protocols of Zion": https://www.youtube.com/user/TRUTHsearchCHANNEL/videos
Ud 5.5
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

That's ... disappointing but not surprising :thinking:
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Review: Freeing the Buddha, by Brian Ruhe

http://buddhaspace.blogspot.com/2012/03 ... -ruhe.html
So far we have been examining the first part of Freeing the Buddha. This is the less controversial section of the book, and as such has little in it to object to, or though there are remarks on Mahayana Buddhism and Christianity, for example, that might raise a few eyebrows.

In the second part of the book, however, those eyebrows aren't merely raised, but they are burnt to a crisp as Ruhe addresses UFOs, Hitler, Mahayana Buddhism, and Jesus Christ. Let's start with Adolf Hitler. Ruhe states that many Buddhists believe that Hitler was a highly attained being that could raise up his people. Moreover, he believes that Hitler was the most powerful spiritual being of the 20th century, and this is why he could avoid the many assassination attempts allegedly made on him - unlike Mahatma Gandhi. Ruhe recognizes Hitler's evil, and even claims that the nazi leader was a satanist, but he also observes that his strength came from deep within himself, and that he invoked evil powers to assist him.
Brian Ruhe wrote:"The name Hitler is a conversation stopper and 25 million dead is an effective way to be remembered. Buddhism is still quite small in the West so it would be auspicious for Buddhism to gain some publicity. Hitler perverted higher realm powers by using them to magnetize millions of people in misleading way. The insight that Buddhism can shed upon Nazi practices will serve to demonstrate the validity of Buddhist claims about the seriousness of the powers of the higher realms. I was criticized the most for this chapter in previous editions of Feeing the Buddha but this is also the most popular chapter in the book since Hitler is such a powerful example to use!"
:?
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Sokehi wrote:That's ... disappointing but not surprising :thinking:
That sums up my thoughts pretty well.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

rowboat wrote:It appears that Brian Ruhe is in fact a Neo-Nazi. Here is Brian Ruhe's other Youtube channel, "The Truth Search Channel" where he has posted videos with titles like "The Messiah Adolf Hitler Led Us Into the Galaxy" and "Brian Ruhe Does The Protocols of Zion": https://www.youtube.com/user/TRUTHsearchCHANNEL/videos
Watched the first five minutes of the first video and it is completely demented. Hitler nominated for Nobel Peace Prize because he was so great? Give me a break! It was a practical joke by a Swedish MP. Hitler threatened by the Zionists who were so powerful?? No, in fact the President of Deutsche Bank resigned as a protest against Hilter's antisemitic policies because he believe them not only to be discriminatory and barbaric but bad for German economy.

Ruhe's rewriting history to fit with his delusion but how many people bother to check the facts, I wonder?
_/|\_