Kamma is responisable for everything ?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
purple planet

Kamma is responisable for everything ?

Post by purple planet »

I would like to understand how much kamma has an effect on what is happening - cause some places it says it affects everything and some other places it says it only affects some

I do want the answer to be yes, kamma affects everything - but would of course like to reach the truth
SarathW

Re: Kamma is responisable for everything ?

Post by SarathW »

This is a difficult subject.
Please read the attached. The best book as far as I know.
:)

http://www.buddhanet.net/cmdsg/kamma.htm#Contents
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
purple planet wrote:I would like to understand how much kamma has an effect on what is happening - cause some places it says it affects everything and some other places it says it only affects some
I question what you're going to get in this topic, other than more diverse opinions...
purple planet wrote:I do want the answer to be yes, kamma affects everything
Why?

Is it by any chance because you'd like to think we live in a universe that operates under a form of natural justice, where everyone "gets what they deserve" in the end? Because if that's why, then no... that's not what kamma is about at all. That's pop-karma, as opposed to kamma as taught by the Buddha.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

Is it by any chance because you'd like to think we live in a universe that operates under a form of natural justice, where everyone "gets what they deserve" in the end? Because if that's why, then no... that's not what kamma is about at all. That's pop-karma, as opposed to kamma as taught by the Buddha.
its actually complicated to say exactly what my reason is - there are many reasons why i want this to be so - one for an example is
I liked to think that everything that happened to me was 100% my kamma - that eases my mind a lot -

this guy was rude to me ? - i probably acted the same way to someone else

waited long in traffic ? - probably cut someone in line in the past

so i would have liked to think its all 100% kamma and no other thing
also its about how much of what i put in to practice in terms of meditation or dana has an effect - especially meditation

and other reason also
cooran

Post by cooran »

SarathW wrote:This is a difficult subject.
Please read the attached. The best book as far as I know.

http://www.buddhanet.net/cmdsg/kamma.htm#Contents
Excellent link! - particularly Chapter 6. Misunderstandings of the Law of Kamma

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
purple planet wrote:I liked to think that everything that happened to me was 100% my kamma - that eases my mind a lot -

I thought something like that might be the case.

No, that is not what kamma is about in the Buddha's teaching.

I'd recommend laying down your present perceptions of what kamma is and start afresh, using the Sutta Pitaka (and examinations of the suttas undertaken by well regarded teachers) as a guide. If you're serious about understanding kamma as the Buddha taught it, also steer clear of post-sutta story telling such as the Jataka Tales.

From what Sarath and Cooran have said, the link provided sounds good. I hope you find time to read it.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

From what Sarath and Cooran have said, the link provided sounds good. I hope you find time to read it.
i will i will just finish reading this one : http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ml#part1-b and im on to that one it does look good

still would like to hear as much opinions as possible on the subject and read as much relevant links - there is a big chance i wont understand it even after reading that good link - so would like to have backup lol - defiantly lots of times though the forum gave me answers that some big internet books didnt give - so maybe it can be answered in a forum discussion
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Ok PP
According to Buddhism the things around us are the result of five Niyamas.
Kamma is only one of them.
More info is in the link I provided to you.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
purple planet wrote:i will i will just finish reading this one : http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ml#part1-b and im on to that one it does look good

still would like to hear as much opinions as possible on the subject and read as much relevant links - there is a big chance i wont understand it even after reading that good link - so would like to have backup lol - defiantly lots of times though the forum gave me answers that some big internet books didnt give - so maybe it can be answered in a forum discussion
:thumbsup:

Excellent.

Metta,
Sanjay PS

Post by Sanjay PS »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
purple planet wrote:I liked to think that everything that happened to me was 100% my kamma - that eases my mind a lot -

I thought something like that might be the case.

No, that is not what kamma is about in the Buddha's teaching.

I'd recommend laying down your present perceptions of what kamma is and start afresh, using the Sutta Pitaka (and examinations of the suttas undertaken by well regarded teachers) as a guide. If you're serious about understanding kamma as the Buddha taught it, also steer clear of post-sutta story telling such as the Jataka Tales.

Metta,
Steer clear of Jataka Tales :(

Its most inspiring , provided one does not get carried away blindly . As one gradually develops more on the path , things which were not acceptable by us initially , falls well in its multi-deimensional perspectives , and helps greatly to keep walking on the path without a trace of fanaticism .

Things described in the Jataka Tales , keep on happening , they are just products of our minds , giving it shape and substance .

sanjay
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

Still confusing - seems now that kamma has a small part now - can you give me more links ?
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

retrofuturist wrote:I'd recommend laying down your present perceptions of what kamma is and start afresh, using the Sutta Pitaka (and examinations of the suttas undertaken by well regarded teachers) as a guide. If you're serious about understanding kamma as the Buddha taught it, also steer clear of post-sutta story telling such as the Jataka Tales.
Dear purple planet,

I'd recommend following that advice from retrofuturist.

Metta.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
whynotme

Post by whynotme »

purple planet wrote:Still confusing - seems now that kamma has a small part now - can you give me more links ?
I put the emphasis on wisdom more than karma. The Buddha said something like, the result of karma is unrecognizable (sorry my English), so unless you are a buddha, don't try to analyze karma. So I don't think like this

But I think whether I was rude to someone else in the past, it is not as important because:
1/ I can not know whether it is true or not
2/ Even if it true, it is not important, as the result of karma can be changed. In case it can't be changed then what is the benefit of sticking your mind with it?

So I think more about the future than the past or present. I think more about how to 'cheat' or 'exploit' karma than, oh it is my fault in the past. And I realized the future is much more important than getting your mind stuck to the unknown karma of the past.

I even dare to create bad karma in the present and I realized letting go is much more important than worrying about karma, because as a normal person, you will mostly still create bad karma. Stuck with it is two times wrong: first you create bad action, second, you attach your mind with it. The second is even a worse karma.

Just know your bad action and let it go. You are mostly not a saint, don't try to act like a saint, it increases your ego.

A fool thinks he is wise, he is a fool
A fool knows he is a fool, he is wise

Always remember you are a fool (most likely) and you will be fine (J/k)

Lastly, AFAIK, karma is not responsible for everything.
Please stop following me
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

Just to get a debate going :

Some places i read that people got cured of sickness after long retreats - so there can be non mental sickness that are caused 100% from kamma ?

Weather has nothing to do with kamma ?

is kamma affecting you just eternally and then the fact you change will bring you future results cause of your future actions - OR does kamma affect also external stuff
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Pp.,

Please read the link Sarath gave at the beginning of this thread and discuss anything you agree or disagree with.

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---