A karma book

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

A karma book

Postby samtheman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:29 am

Hello everyone,

I remember hearing somewhere that there are some books, that tells you what type of karma you get for each action you do. Example if you are born wealthly this life, you did lots of charity work previous life etc. Are there any books like that which tells you what type of karma you get for each action. I know this is pretty pointless but I'm just interested to see of one of these books if available . Thanks :)
samtheman

Re: A karma book

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:35 am

mikenz66

Postby samtheman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:47 am

Thanks for the reply Mike :smile: But I was looking for more like a commercial type of book, where they give a certain attribute and tell what karma led to it. Not suttas where you have to extract the message after reading a lot. But I know reading the suttas is the proper way, but i was just interested if there is a book like this, because I remember I heard somewhere someone mention a type of book like that.
samtheman

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:00 am

I thought those suttas were reasonably straightforward:
5. "Here, student, some woman or man is a killer of living beings, murderous, bloody-handed, given to blows and violence, merciless to living beings. Due to having performed and completed such kammas, on the dissolution of the body, after death, he reappears in a state of deprivation, in an unhappy destination, in perdition, in hell. If, on the dissolution of the body, after death, instead of his reappearing in a state of deprivation, in an unhappy destination, in perdition, in hell, he comes to the human state, he is short-lived wherever he is reborn. This is the way that leads to short life, that is to say, to be a killer of living beings, murderous, bloody-handed, given to blows and violence, merciless to living beings.

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:26 am

samtheman wrote:I was looking for more like a commercial type of book, where they give a certain attribute and tell what karma led to it

There are plenty of books on Kamma, like my own Explanation of Kamma, but any book that is worth recommending will quote reliable sources in the Suttas and Commentaries.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby pilgrim » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:14 am

You may be thinking of the popular but apocryphal "Karma sutra" written in China.
pilgrim

Postby samtheman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:07 pm

Thanks for all the replies :smile:

pilgrim wrote:You may be thinking of the popular but apocryphal "Karma sutra" written in China.

Are there any links to this book. May be a brief English translation of this by someone. Internet search for this book obviously sends you in a different direction, I couldn't find any information about this book.
samtheman

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:28 pm

samtheman wrote:Are there any links to this book.

Pilgrim was being facetious, or just flippant. The Karma Sutra is about sex, and has nothing to do with the Buddha's teaching on Kamma.

From Ten Immoral Kammas and Their Effects
Frivolous speech (samphappalāpā) is speech with no useful purpose. A lot of conversation, and nearly all modern entertainment falls into this category. The evil effects are disorder of the bodily organs and incredibility.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:34 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:

Pilgrim was being facetious, or just flippant. The Karma Sutra is about sex, and has nothing to do with the Buddha's teaching on Kamma.

I think so. But note that it's Kāma Sutra. Kāma is not the same word as karma/kamma...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kama_Sutra

Mike
mikenz66

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:49 pm

mikenz66 wrote:note that it's Kāma Sutra. Kāma is not the same word as karma/kamma.

The Kāma Sutta in the Pāli Canon is quite different — it is about the dangers of sensual pleasures.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby samtheman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:

From Ten Immoral Kammas and Their Effects
Frivolous speech (samphappalāpā) is speech with no useful purpose. A lot of conversation, and nearly all modern entertainment falls into this category. The evil effects are disorder of the bodily organs and incredibility.

Like Mike I thought Karma is different to kama. Is it not? did he mean kama sutra.
samtheman

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:16 pm

samtheman wrote:Like Mike I thought Karma is different to kama. Is it not? did he mean kama sutra.

I am sure that he meant what he wrote — it's the more common spelling, though it is wrong. The words karma and kāma (with a long a like Drama) sound similar.

However, we are getting way off-topic. You asked about books on Karma (Skt) or Kamma (Pali).
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby pilgrim » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:18 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Pilgrim was being facetious, or just flippant. The Karma Sutra is about sex, and has nothing to do with the Buddha's teaching on Kamma.

The Kama sutra is a Sanskrit text and is about sex (Kama=sensual desire).
I was referring to the Karma Sutra, an apocryphal sutra very popular in Chinese Mahayana groups. Its printed and distributed freely, sometimes in comic form. Its makes some very ridiculous claims. I'll try to find the book online and link it here as an edit.

Here is the link. I forgot it is also commonly called the Sutra of Cause and Effect
http://www.guanghuanmizong.info/cause-and-effect-sutra/

simplified
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~yongmeng/Buddha.htm
pilgrim

Postby samtheman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:47 pm

pilgrim wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Pilgrim was being facetious, or just flippant. The Karma Sutra is about sex, and has nothing to do with the Buddha's teaching on Kamma.

The Kama sutra is a Sanskrit text and is about sex (Kama=sensual desire).
I was referring to the Karma Sutra, an apocryphal sutra very popular in Chinese Mahayana groups. Its printed and distributed freely, sometimes in comic form. Its makes some very ridiculous claims. I'll try to find the book online and link it here as an edit.

Yes correct I remember now that person also said this book is released in comic form with pictures. Thanks for sending the links :smile: As you have mentioned, does it have ridiculous claims. I also don't know much about Mahayana tradition.

EDIT: I read The Guang Huan Mi Zong Cause and Effect Sutra.

I'm not saying this a bad way, but this sutra sounds sometimes like a scam for people to donate to buddhist temples etc. I mean some bad karma is due to destroying buddhist statues etc. I know this is bad, but did buddha really want us to make statues of him anyway. I'm not saying this in a bad way at all. This gave me a suggestion for another question I had about in my mind.
samtheman

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:17 pm

Hmm, yes, however, a number of the statements are familiar from the Pali:
5. "Here, student, some woman or man is a killer of living beings, murderous, bloody-handed, given to blows and violence, merciless to living beings. Due to having performed and completed such kammas, on the dissolution of the body, after death, he reappears in a state of deprivation, in an unhappy destination, in perdition, in hell. If, on the dissolution of the body, after death, instead of his reappearing in a state of deprivation, in an unhappy destination, in perdition, in hell, he comes to the human state, he is short-lived wherever he is reborn. This is the way that leads to short life, that is to say, to be a killer of living beings, murderous, bloody-handed, given to blows and violence, merciless to living beings.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nymo.html

What is the cause of a tragic death in this life?
It is the consequence of killing sentient beings in a previous life.

http://www.guanghuanmizong.info/cause-and-effect-sutra/

Mike
mikenz66

Return to Open Dhamma