animate or inanimate ; characteristics are the same

Where members are free to take ideas from the Theravāda Canon out of the Theravāda framework. Here you can question rebirth, kamma (and other contentious issues) as well as examine Theravāda's connection to other paths
Sanjay PS

animate or inanimate ; characteristics are the same

Postby Sanjay PS » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:50 am

During my college days i had come across in the subject structural engineering the mention of Poissons ratio ,defined as stress divided by strain . Stress is further elaborated as the " resistance to change " and strain is " the fracture point due to the resistance " . i then did not think much on this , and used this study in various problems of engineering .

Contemplating on our body and mind , i find now this law holds very much in place both for the animate and inanimate world . Our problems or stress is because we resist due ignorance and habituation to what is essentially an ever changing impersonal process . The strain or the "fracture" is resulting cycles of birth and death .

Heisenbergs principle also mentions that the more certain it is ( position of a particle ) , the more is the uncertainty . As in daily living , all kinds of feelings and emotions coming into being with the seed of uncertainty , and sooner or later passes away . The only certainty is uncertainty .

sanjay
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka

SarathW

Re: animate or inanimate ; characteristics are the same

Postby SarathW » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:21 am

Hi Sanjay
Good analogy.
The way I understand Niravana is the total abandonment.
So none resistance is not total abandonment.
I think your observation is based on matter (Rupa only)
You have to incorporate none matter (Nama) in to your analysis.
:shrug:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Sanjay PS

Re: animate or inanimate ; characteristics are the same

Postby Sanjay PS » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:40 am

SarathW wrote:Hi Sanjay
Good analogy.
The way I understand Niravana is the total abandonment.
So none resistance is not total abandonment.
I think your observation is based on matter (Rupa only)
You have to incorporate none matter (Nama) in to your analysis.
:shrug:

Hi Sarath ,

In terms of Abidhamma you may be right .

Its a simile that i thought of . You see in life we get stressed , because we resist ( more aptly unaware and ignorant of ) the causal change of both nama and rupa . Since we dont understand change , and resist and cling to that what is fleeting , our troubles compound , and we become impoverished :broke:

Nibbana goes beyond the realms of mind and matter, beyond suffering .

May we all inspire each other .

sanjay
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka

Return to “Fringe Theravāda Discussion”