[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Dhamma Wheel • View topic - animate or inanimate ; characteristics are the same

animate or inanimate ; characteristics are the same

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

animate or inanimate ; characteristics are the same

Postby Sanjay PS » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:50 am

During my college days i had come across in the subject structural engineering the mention of Poissons ratio ,defined as stress divided by strain . Stress is further elaborated as the " resistance to change " and strain is " the fracture point due to the resistance " . i then did not think much on this , and used this study in various problems of engineering .

Contemplating on our body and mind , i find now this law holds very much in place both for the animate and inanimate world . Our problems or stress is because we resist due ignorance and habituation to what is essentially an ever changing impersonal process . The strain or the "fracture" is resulting cycles of birth and death .

Heisenbergs principle also mentions that the more certain it is ( position of a particle ) , the more is the uncertainty . As in daily living , all kinds of feelings and emotions coming into being with the seed of uncertainty , and sooner or later passes away . The only certainty is uncertainty .

sanjay
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka
Sanjay PS

Re: animate or inanimate ; characteristics are the same

Postby SarathW » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:21 am

Hi Sanjay
Good analogy.
The way I understand Niravana is the total abandonment.
So none resistance is not total abandonment.
I think your observation is based on matter (Rupa only)
You have to incorporate none matter (Nama) in to your analysis.
:shrug:
SarathW

Re: animate or inanimate ; characteristics are the same

Postby Sanjay PS » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:40 am

SarathW wrote:Hi Sanjay
Good analogy.
The way I understand Niravana is the total abandonment.
So none resistance is not total abandonment.
I think your observation is based on matter (Rupa only)
You have to incorporate none matter (Nama) in to your analysis.
:shrug:

Hi Sarath ,

In terms of Abidhamma you may be right .

Its a simile that i thought of . You see in life we get stressed , because we resist ( more aptly unaware and ignorant of ) the causal change of both nama and rupa . Since we dont understand change , and resist and cling to that what is fleeting , our troubles compound , and we become impoverished :broke:

Nibbana goes beyond the realms of mind and matter, beyond suffering .

May we all inspire each other .

sanjay
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka
Sanjay PS

Return to Open Dhamma