Buddhism SubGroups?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Buddhism SubGroups?

Postby CbmGraphics » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:36 am

Must you be part of one,or can you just follow the regular Buddhist faith. Sub Group meaning Zen,Tibetan,etc. I Like some of the Practices of zen,but also Tibet Buddhism. Obviously Buddhism is a very flexible religion. But would this interfere with one another?
CbmGraphics

Re: Buddhism SubGroups?

Postby chownah » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:32 am

No one is restricting your freedom to follow the teachings of the Buddha in whatever way you choose.
chownah
chownah

Postby Mkoll » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:51 am

chownah wrote:No one is restricting your freedom to follow the teachings of the Buddha in whatever way you choose.
chownah

:goodpost:

You don't even have to join any group if you don't want to.
When this is, that is.
From the arising of this comes the arising of that.
When this isn't, that isn't.
From the cessation of this comes the cessation of that.
-SN 12.61

Ex nihilo nihil fit.

Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby Aloka » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:45 am

I Like some of the Practices of zen,but also Tibet Buddhism.

You might be interested in Dharma Wheel Mahayana forum which is the sister forum to this one.

http://www.dharmawheel.net/

:anjali:
Aloka

Postby Spiny Norman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:57 am

CbmGraphics wrote:Must you be part of one,or can you just follow the regular Buddhist faith. Sub Group meaning Zen,Tibetan,etc. I Like some of the Practices of zen,but also Tibet Buddhism. Obviously Buddhism is a very flexible religion. But would this interfere with one another?

It's possible to mix-and-match practices from different Buddhist traditions, but I think most people find it's more productive to focus on one approach.
Spiny Norman

Postby Feathers » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:53 am

I find it helpful to stay open minded - sometimes the teachings of Pema Chodron (Tibetan Buddhist nun) are just what I need, sometimes Theravada. But I would say, when picking a meditation style, maybe best to be consistent? I tried zazen for a while, and found that for me it had a REALLY different feel to what I do now, and I think if I'd tried to mix and match I'd have just gotten confused.
Feathers

Return to Open Dhamma