Buddhism SubGroups?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Buddhism SubGroups?

Postby CbmGraphics » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:36 am

Must you be part of one,or can you just follow the regular Buddhist faith. Sub Group meaning Zen,Tibetan,etc. I Like some of the Practices of zen,but also Tibet Buddhism. Obviously Buddhism is a very flexible religion. But would this interfere with one another?
CbmGraphics

Re: Buddhism SubGroups?

Postby chownah » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:32 am

No one is restricting your freedom to follow the teachings of the Buddha in whatever way you choose.
chownah
chownah

Postby Mkoll » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:51 am

chownah wrote:No one is restricting your freedom to follow the teachings of the Buddha in whatever way you choose.
chownah

:goodpost:

You don't even have to join any group if you don't want to.
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby Aloka » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:45 am

I Like some of the Practices of zen,but also Tibet Buddhism.

You might be interested in Dharma Wheel Mahayana forum which is the sister forum to this one.

http://www.dharmawheel.net/

:anjali:
Aloka

Postby Spiny Norman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:57 am

CbmGraphics wrote:Must you be part of one,or can you just follow the regular Buddhist faith. Sub Group meaning Zen,Tibetan,etc. I Like some of the Practices of zen,but also Tibet Buddhism. Obviously Buddhism is a very flexible religion. But would this interfere with one another?

It's possible to mix-and-match practices from different Buddhist traditions, but I think most people find it's more productive to focus on one approach.
Mrs. Bun: Have you got anything without spam in it?
Waitress: Well, there's spam, egg, sausage and spam. That's not got MUCH spam in it.
Spiny Norman

Postby Feathers » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:53 am

I find it helpful to stay open minded - sometimes the teachings of Pema Chodron (Tibetan Buddhist nun) are just what I need, sometimes Theravada. But I would say, when picking a meditation style, maybe best to be consistent? I tried zazen for a while, and found that for me it had a REALLY different feel to what I do now, and I think if I'd tried to mix and match I'd have just gotten confused.
Feathers

Return to Open Dhamma