How to find the middle way in different situations ?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Re: How to find the middle way in different situations ?

Postby barcsimalsi » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:31 am

kmath wrote:
Mkoll wrote:One strong in wisdom and weak in faith errs on the side of cunning and is as hard to cure as a sickness caused by medicine.

Love that line.

Can you help explain, i thought wisdom helps strengthened everything.
barcsimalsi

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:06 am

In this context it's mundane cleverness, I think. Not liberating wisdom.
There needs to be a balance between faith, which can lead to unthinking belief, and wisdom/reasoning, which can lead to just questioning everything and not getting on with it....

Mike
mikenz66

Postby Mkoll » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:03 am

mikenz66 wrote:In this context it's mundane cleverness, I think. Not liberating wisdom.

I think so too.

Having a serious imbalance of faith and wisdom will probably be detrimental. However the Buddha himself said that each of us is more inclined to one or the other. It probably depends on our kamma and inclinations.

~

At Savatthi. "Monks, eye-consciousness is inconstant, changeable, alterable. Ear-consciousness... Nose-consciousness... Tongue-consciousness... Body-consciousness... Intellect-consciousness is inconstant, changeable, alterable.

"One who has conviction & belief that these phenomena are this way is called a faith-follower: one who has entered the orderliness of rightness, entered the plane of people of integrity, transcended the plane of the run-of-the-mill. He is incapable of doing any deed by which he might be reborn in hell, in the animal womb, or in the realm of hungry shades. He is incapable of passing away until he has realized the fruit of stream-entry.

"One who, after pondering with a modicum of discernment, has accepted that these phenomena are this way is called a Dhamma-follower: one who has entered the orderliness of rightness, entered the plane of people of integrity, transcended the plane of the run-of-the-mill. He is incapable of doing any deed by which he might be reborn in hell, in the animal womb, or in the realm of hungry shades. He is incapable of passing away until he has realized the fruit of stream-entry.

"One who knows and sees that these phenomena are this way is called a stream-enterer, steadfast, never again destined for states of woe, headed for self-awakening."
-SN 25.3
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Previous

Return to Open Dhamma