What would you choose to help someone understand?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

What would you choose to help someone understand?

Postby PsychedelicSunSet » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:26 am

If someone close to you had a desire to understand your practice/Theravada Buddhism, and you had to pick a single thing (be it a book, a Dhamma Talk, a movie, an article, an interpretive dance you made up, whatever) what would you choose?

Metta
PsychedelicSunSet

Re: What would you choose to help someone understand?

Postby dagon » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:44 am

PsychedelicSunSet wrote:If someone close to you had a desire to understand your practice/Theravada Buddhism, and you had to pick a single thing (be it a book, a Dhamma Talk, a movie, an article, an interpretive dance you made up, whatever) what would you choose?

Metta

Let them see the positive changes in you.
Invite them to ask questions if and when they were ready.
Leave a few basic texts around so that they could read them if and when they want.

metta
paul
dagon

Re: What would you choose to help someone understand?

Postby Mkoll » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:08 am

dagon wrote:
PsychedelicSunSet wrote:If someone close to you had a desire to understand your practice/Theravada Buddhism, and you had to pick a single thing (be it a book, a Dhamma Talk, a movie, an article, an interpretive dance you made up, whatever) what would you choose?

Metta

Let them see the positive changes in you.
Invite them to ask questions if and when they were ready.
Leave a few basic texts around so that they could read them if and when they want.

metta
paul

:goodpost:

If someone asked for a single work to read about Theravada, I would definitely pick Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi's In The Buddha's Words. It has a great selection of suttas presented in an organized manner with helpful words from the author. Its broad approach gives a balanced picture of the Dhamma that I haven't found in another work. It was the first book about the Pali Canon that I read.

:anjali:
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Return to Open Dhamma