YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Zen, Dogen and being put off... - Page 3 - Dhamma Wheel

Zen, Dogen and being put off...

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Alex123

Re: Zen, Dogen and being put off...

Postby Alex123 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:14 am

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:05 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:30 am

Very similar to what I heard Ajahn Sumedho teach. Also familiar from Zen teachers. So yes, as far as I was taught (with me, anger still arises and I do pick it up some of the time Image ).
_/|\_

Myotai

Postby Myotai » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:41 pm

This is drying up a bit so here's some more kindle :stirthepot: More potential Wrong Speech herein...(not really) :thinking:

I agree with Anagarika to a certain extent. I only see inferential correlates between the 'original' teaches around Anapanasati and the Four Foundations for example and those as taught in Zen. There is a foundation common to all schools of Buddhism but then some seem to go Whooooosh launching off into another stratosphere!

I don't see Dogens take on the Dharma anywhere else in any other tradition, I mean not even a hint. The only possible parallel I can see is in something like Nichiren. So far as I know their's is a practice that sits some way off traditional Buddhism as taught in other schools. Its certainly not mainstream and would not be taught academically with an aim for students understanding of Buddhist Practice and beliefs per se - is that fair. Equally re Dogen, where did the Buddha suggest that we should have no aspirations for Nibbana...no agenda when sitting and that merely the act of sitting was sufficient. Dogen might well have offered a perfectly legitimate practice that has benefits for those who immerse themselves in it....just like Nichiren chanting.

But is it what the Buddha taught? I don't think so.

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:03 am

beeblebrox

Postby beeblebrox » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:41 pm

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”