What if Thailand turns into a Christian majority nation?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
pilgrim

Re: What if Thailand turns into a Christian majority nation?

Post by pilgrim »

Sam Vara wrote:Would it matter all that much, even if it were likely? Things change. Europe used to be the epicentre for certain forms of Christianity which now flourish more in what were once European colonies. British Christianity now welcomes pastors and priests from Ghana and the Philippines, who proselytise to us home-grown white heathen. It might be comforting to know that there are populous nations like Thailand which are overwhelmingly Buddhist, but how much does this benefit my actual practice? If Thais were to decide that the strain of Buddhism which sustained their ancestors was no longer appropriate for them, then who am I to lament the fact?
It would matter a lot if one thinks there is a good chance that one would be reborn again. Just to take human birth is considered fortunate, then one hopes to encounter the Dhamma again.
Shaswata_Panja

Post by Shaswata_Panja »

pilgrim wrote:
Sam Vara wrote:Would it matter all that much, even if it were likely? Things change. Europe used to be the epicentre for certain forms of Christianity which now flourish more in what were once European colonies. British Christianity now welcomes pastors and priests from Ghana and the Philippines, who proselytise to us home-grown white heathen. It might be comforting to know that there are populous nations like Thailand which are overwhelmingly Buddhist, but how much does this benefit my actual practice? If Thais were to decide that the strain of Buddhism which sustained their ancestors was no longer appropriate for them, then who am I to lament the fact?
It would matter a lot if one thinks there is a good chance that one would be reborn again. Just to take human birth is considered fortunate, then one hopes to encounter the Dhamma again.

exactly my point, if you were reborn on earth and there was no more Dharma left...can you imagine how huge a setback would that be ? you may be locked for a few thousand lifetimes in the hellrealm because you harboured false views
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

exactly my point, if you were reborn on earth and there was no more Dharma left...can you imagine how huge a setback would that be ? you may be locked for a few thousand lifetimes in the hellrealm because you harboured false views

That's a pretty big speculation

I'm not one to subscribe to rebirth chit chat, however even if you have the view of being reborn after death isn't it a standard teaching that such a rebirth is unknowable

You could stop all Thai's from being Christian and still be reborn as a stingray ...

Also I'm not sure that holding the views of a Christian (depending on the denomination of course) would lead you to hellish states?

My mother is a Christian, she seems to be quite happy and content
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

you may be locked for a few thousand lifetimes in the hellrealm because you harboured false views

Ironically this sounds very similar to something you would hear an evangelical say ... :?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I think lot of easterner see Christianity as a posh life style.
They don’t see the misery behind closed doors!

Christians seems to enjoy the life.
They eat, drink, dress and live well.

Buddhism talks the opposite.

I am not sure whether Christians are following the Jesus Christ teaching.

I think one day Buddhism will survive thanks to west.
I see Ven. Thannisaro’s (Not to mention many other) effort as the modern day Thripitaka writing.
It is amaizing considering all those translation done by one man.

:meditate:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

What misery?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

clw_uk wrote:
What misery?
Dukkha. :)
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

SarathW wrote:
clw_uk wrote:
What misery?
Dukkha. :)
I know that but you seemed to imply there was some misery in Christisanity that was behind closed doors?
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Mr Man wrote:
This is five years old but....

Buddhism fastest growing religion in Singapore http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php ... tbF5WeYapo
I think this article sampled a very small number which shows positive results, largely I believe, as the result of the excellent work by a single organisation among the english-speaking graduate population. The recent census of the general population shows a significant decrease in the Buddhist population. see:
http://ahandfulofleaves.net/dhamma/?p=1519

Singapore’s population increased by 611k (24%) from 2.5 million in Year 2000 to 3.1 million in Year 2010. During this period, the number of people who identified themselves as Buddhist actually fell from 555 k to 442 k.
Last edited by pilgrim on Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Sorry I meant Christians. Please excuse me for my grammar. :)
chownah

Post by chownah »

Goofaholix wrote:If you'd ever been to Thailand you'd know how little impact missionaries have had there, I think they consider Thailand a very difficult nut to crack.

If Thailand ever did become a majority Christian nation I think it would be a good thing, it would mean a reduction of animism and superstition, it would mean Buddhism in Thailand would have to reform itself and revive itself.
If Thailand turns into Swiss cheese, the holes will be filled with animism and superstition.
chownah
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

SarathW wrote:Sorry I meant Christians. Please excuse me for my grammar. :)

Okie Doke :)
dhammafriend

Post by dhammafriend »

Singapore’s population increased by 611k (24%) from 2.5 million in Year 2000 to 3.1 million in Year 2010. During this period, the number of people who identified themselves as Buddhist actually fell from 555 k to 442 k.
Apparently the numbers were off from the start. Many people in Singapore with practiced Doaism were identifying themselves as Buddhists in the census data.
Will need to check on line for the article I saw that in.

As for Evangelicals and the most powerful nation on Earth, well this article explains it all. I urge everyone to read it.
http://rt.com/op-edge/north-korea-usa-cia-639/

The narratives we hear in the West usually is that missionaries pitch up in a 'heathen' country and the locals are so impressed with this teaching that they immediately jump ship and become happy little christians. The article above gives us a more sobering view. Religion and humanitarian assistance is used as a tool by the West to assert ideological, economic, cultural control over other nations. Missionaries are often all to happy to destroy the entire cultural fabric of a nation (not just the local religions) with US assistance.

As for animism and superstition: (these terms are so loaded with monotheistic baggage its not even funny) I've asked this before, from a buddhist point of view, what else about 'animism' & 'superstition' is 'backward'? besides the fact that it obstructs samma ditthi.

What makes a belief animists? According to my understanding the Buddha there is no sliding scale of wrong view (attachment to god, gods, spirits)
its all gotta go.

I think the dismissal of Thais and their beliefs (however wrong they may be) have a lot to do with their ethnicity.i.e.
Brown people superstition = bad White people superstition = good

Dhammafriend
Metta
Dhammafriend

Natthi me saranam annam buddho me saranam varam
For me there is no other refuge, the Buddha is my excellent refuge.
Etena saccavajjena vaddheyyam satthu-sasane
By the utterance of this truth, may I grow in the Master’s Way.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

dhammafriend wrote:
...its all gotta go.
I think...
+1
chownah

Post by chownah »

", what else about 'animism' & 'superstition' is 'backward'? besides the fact that it obstructs samma ditthi. "

I don't know if this should be considered backward or not so you be the judge: In Africa there is a superstition that deflowering a young virgin girl will cure you of HIV if you don't use a condom.

chownah