Meditation at evning will make me more mindful next evaning

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
purple planet

Meditation at evning will make me more mindful next evaning

Post by purple planet »

I practice vipasana meditation - if i meditate today at evening will i be more mindful tomorrow evening in comparison with tomorrow morning

(i assume i would be more mindful all of the day in general just asking if i will be more mindful spesifcly at the time i meditate)
Goofaholix

Re: Meditation at evning will make me more mindful next evan

Post by Goofaholix »

Everything changes, nothing is certain.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

True ... i mean a tendency to be more mindful at that time ?
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

Goofaholix wrote:Everything changes, nothing is certain.
:goodpost:
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

it is good posting - i get that mindfulness comes and goes - and i can meditate a lot one day and not have any mindfulness the next or at least not as much as expected

but now days i meditate late at night and it does seem that for instance today when i dont meditate i start being mindful mostly (almost only) at night time - and i mean time not just when getting ready to sleep but also before
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

purple planet wrote:but now days i meditate late at night and it does seem that for instance today when i dont meditate i start being mindful mostly (almost only) at night time - and i mean time not just when getting ready to sleep but also before
Make a point of doing some mindfulness exercises in the morning and throughout the day to help you establish mindfulness.

For example you can choose to make a point of noting when you stand up and sit down, next day you can choose to note when you open and close doors, next day something else and so on.

You can make a game of it, over time you'll have better mindfulness in other parts of the day.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
chownah

Post by chownah »

purple planet wrote:I practice vipasana meditation - if i meditate today at evening will i be more mindful tomorrow evening in comparison with tomorrow morning

(i assume i would be more mindful all of the day in general just asking if i will be more mindful spesifcly at the time i meditate)
Why are you asking this question? Just do it and see. Direct experience.
chownah
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Meditation is also a habit. So body get used to meditation habits too I suppose.
:meditate:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

In my experience, meditation helps make one more mindful throughout the day. But relying on the momentum of practice only goes so far.

Mindfulness is one of the few things we non-arahants can never do enough of, as long as one isn't neglecting taking care of oneself and others. In fact, if it was all one did, one would be assured of arahantship or non-returning within seven years (MN 10). But even a single moment of mindfulness, restraint, metta, or any other wonderful Dhamma teaching-in-action is another drop in the good bucket.
Think not lightly of good, saying, "It will not come to me." Drop by drop is the water pot filled. Likewise, the wise man, gathering it little by little, fills himself with good.
-Dhp 122

:anjali:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

Mkoll wrote: Mindfulness is one of the few things we non-arahants can never do enough of
SN 46.53
SN 46.53: Aggi Sutta (Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation) wrote: As for mindfulness, I tell you, that serves every purpose.
SN 46.53: Aggi Sutta (Maurice Walshe translation) wrote: But as for mindfulness, monks, I declare that it is always useful.