Exposure to specific dhamma because of kamma ?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Exposure to specific dhamma because of kamma ?

Postby purple planet » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:42 pm

Is the fact im exposed to specific dhamma due to kamma (or vipaka) and in the point of view that all we have to do is be mindful and the thoughts needed will come by themselves ect, should i look for suttas to read or just be mindful and i will run into whatever suttas(or any other dhamma) i should run into when its time
purple planet

Re: Expusure to specific dhamma because of kamma ?

Postby culaavuso » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:07 pm

purple planet wrote:Is the fact im exposed to specific dhamma due to kamma (or vipaka) and in the point of view that all we have to do is be mindful and the thoughts needed will come by themselves ect should i look for suttas to read or just be mindful and i will run into whatever suttas(or any other dhamma) i should run into when its time

To the extent that exposure to dhamma is a kamma vipaka, it seems that the most useful intention is the intention that leads to kamma which creates greater exposure to the dhamma. Using intention to form the appropriate questions and seek out appropriate answers is beneficial. Greater skill in identifying what questions are appropriate and in finding their answers leads to more beneficial results.

AN 6.63
AN 6.63: Nibbedhika Sutta wrote:There are some cases in which a person overcome with pain, his mind exhausted, grieves, mourns, laments, beats his breast, & becomes bewildered. Or one overcome with pain, his mind exhausted, comes to search outside, 'Who knows a way or two to stop this pain?' I tell you, monks, that stress results either in bewilderment or in search.

AN 5.57
AN 5.57: Upajjhatthana Sutta wrote:To the extent that there are beings — past and future, passing away and re-arising — all beings are the owner of their actions, heir to their actions, born of their actions, related through their actions, and have their actions as their arbitrator. Whatever they do, for good or for evil, to that will they fall heir.

SN 45.2
SN 45.2: Upaddha Sutta wrote:Ven. Ananda said to the Blessed One, "This is half of the holy life, lord: admirable friendship, admirable companionship, admirable camaraderie."

"Don't say that, Ananda. Don't say that. Admirable friendship, admirable companionship, admirable camaraderie is actually the whole of the holy life. When a monk has admirable people as friends, companions, & comrades, he can be expected to develop & pursue the noble eightfold path.

The Way to the End of Suffering by Bhikkhu Bodhi
Bhikkhu Bodhi wrote:Concentration can be developed through either of two methods — either as the goal of a system of practice directed expressly towards the attainment of deep concentration at the level of absorption or as the incidental accompaniment of the path intended to generate insight. The former method is called the development of serenity (samatha-bhavana), the second the development of insight (vipassana-bhavana). Both paths share certain preliminary requirements. For both, moral discipline must be purified, the various impediments must be severed, the meditator must seek out suitable instruction (preferrably from a personal teacher), and must resort to a dwelling conducive to practice.

Questions of Skill by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

Thanissaro Bhikkhu wrote:The Buddha wasn't the sort of teacher who simply answered questions. He also taught which questions to ask.

Skill in Questions by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
culaavuso

Re: Expusure to specific dhamma because of kamma ?

Postby Babadhari » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:12 pm

hi purple planet
i have often come across very meaningful passages by random chance and from presentation by others, but feel as though i would be foolish and be lacking effort were i not to invest time searching for writings which i believ to be essential for progress. such profound insights and discourses im sure would not arise within my consciousness were i to live to 10000 no matter how mindful i were to be :)
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
Babadhari

Return to Open Dhamma