YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

The Science Delusion and New Mindfulness - Page 4 - Dhamma Wheel

The Science Delusion and New Mindfulness

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
binocular

Re: The Science Delusion and New Mindfulness

Postby binocular » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:53 am

beeblebrox

Postby beeblebrox » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:07 pm

Lazy_eye

Postby Lazy_eye » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:31 pm

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:20 pm

Lazy_eye

Postby Lazy_eye » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:09 pm

binocular

Postby binocular » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:30 pm

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:46 pm

I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:27 pm

I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

Lazy_eye

Postby Lazy_eye » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:50 pm

Lazy_eye

Postby Lazy_eye » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:00 pm

Plus, let's not forget that Eisel Mazard has been arguing at length in another thread (and in his essays and videos) that Theravada Buddhism is shot through with inauthenticity. So perhaps some Theravada critics of inauthentic secular Buddhism are vulnerable to accusations of False Speech as well?

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20387
Last edited by Lazy_eye on Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:14 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:01 pm

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:34 am

"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

dxm_dxm

Postby dxm_dxm » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:40 am

Excuse me for been a little offtopic but are they using concentration meditation or vipassana ?

I understand from you that they are using vipassana. If so, I can not see how vipassana could bring more working qualities that they look for than concentration practices. I would also like to ask if there is list of qualities that are improved as a side effect by both practices

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:42 pm

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:06 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:18 pm

Hi Ancientbuddhism.
I am not familiar enough with the two (MBSR/MBCT) modalities to be able to say what differences there are between them (I doubt there are going to be many) although am interested to know of any yourself or anyone else may notice. I am interested in these for educational reasons (not doing the courses but interested in getting my partner and child engaged with something of this nature). And although I have not took a course I have read the Book mentioned and linked to later very recently, and other self-guided secular mindfulness programs in the past. Personally I don't see anything different in the meditation instruction from what I have been instructed to do on retreats, except the inclusion of mindful eating as a "guided" meditation.
there are free online course here
http://jayuhdinger.com/blog/success-doe ... happiness/
http://palousemindfulness.com/selfguidedMBSR.html
and a outline of the MBCT curriculum here http://oxfordmindfulness.org/wp-content ... iption.pdf

Looking at a couple of the links for the raisin and chocolate meditations I don't see the pleasure specifically mentioned so I was either mistaken or it was mentioned in "" Book I have just given away so can not check unfortunately. However I am about to start reading "mindfulness for health" which has a coffee meditation (it can be any drink) that asks readers to pay attention to the taste, smell...

Transcripts & Audio

Soundcloud Audio

There is developments in Compassion Training using mindfulness and a good e-book for info is I have only read the last section on the different 'programs' properly but it is interesting.

Regarding RET... I am focused on cognitive bias/distortions and getting myself familiar with Cognitive Bias Modification research and their focus on attentional and interpretation bias in order to help alleviate my own bias' and distortions.

Anagarika

Postby Anagarika » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:59 pm

Lazy_eye

Postby Lazy_eye » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:55 pm

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:08 pm

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”