Un-virtuous behavior in dreams = repressing tendencies IRL?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Un-virtuous behavior in dreams = repressing tendencies IRL?

Postby EmptyCittas1by1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:16 am

There's the theory floating around which says that whatever happens in your dreams is a manifestation of the subconscious. So according to this, somebody who represses bad behavior will experience that bad behavior in his dreams, but those who truly develop virtue will not do bad things in dreams. Based on your experiences, do you find this to be true? I'm asking this because in my dreams I go to parties and smoke weed and stuff, but I've stopped that a long time ago in real life, but still have occasional cravings or second thoughts.

If there really is a link, then this will have some great effects on my practice, which is why I'm asking for your experience-based answers. Thanks :)
"Eat little! Sleep little! Speak little! Whatever it may be of worldly habit, lessen them, go against their power. Don't just do as you like, don't indulge in your thought. Stop this slavish following. You must constantly go against the stream of ignorance. This is called "Discipline." When you discipline your heart, it becomes very dissatisfied and begins to struggle. It becomes restricted and oppressed. When the heart is prevented from doing what it wants to do, it starts wandering and struggling. Suffering becomes apparent to us."

— Ajahn Chah
EmptyCittas1by1

Re: Un-virtuous behavior in dreams = repressing tendencies I

Postby culaavuso » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:27 am

EmptyCittas1by1 wrote:There's the theory floating around which says that whatever happens in your dreams is a manifestation of the subconscious. So according to this, somebody who represses bad behavior will experience that bad behavior in his dreams, but those who truly develop virtue will not do bad things in dreams. Based on your experiences, do you find this to be true? I'm asking this because in my dreams I go to parties and smoke weed and stuff, but I've stopped that a long time ago in real life, but still have occasional cravings or second thoughts.

If there really is a link, then this will have some great effects on my practice, which is why I'm asking for your experience-based answers. Thanks :)

Yes. Things that are desired or fixated on in real life are more likely to appear in dreams. Changes in the inclination of the mind brings about changes in the events that happen in dreams. It's common to be completely heedless and unmindful in dreams, and as a result the natural inclinations of the mind show through. The sorts of situations that appear in dreams often correlate with the sorts of stray thoughts that may appear when trying to quiet the mind. The sorts of actions that are taken in those situations in dreams often correlate with the sorts of responses that the mind has to the arising of those thoughts when heedfulness and mindfulness are lacking. Regular practice can make notable differences in the content of dreams, but deeply ingrained habitual tendencies can continue to be seen in dreams for a while after the waking behavior has been abandoned. The mental activities involved in lucid dreaming are not so different from the mental activities of establishing strong heedfulness and mindfulness. The level of virtue and types of behavior observed in dreams can be a good indicator of how deep waking practices have become.
culaavuso

Postby SarathW » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:48 am

Are any of you do meditation in your dreams?
This could be a wonderful experience!
:D
SarathW

Postby Goofaholix » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:54 am

If you've ever done intensive meditation retreats you'll know that the mind likes to go on and on with unconstructive thinking about the past and the future. This is fueled by our past, garbage in garbage out.

The practice is to observe all this without reactivity and without engaging in the content and gradually over time the mind runs out of steam and starts learning to let go of it.

I think dreams are just a perpetuation of this, just the mind continuing on and on, again we should observe without reactivity and without engaging in the content and gradually over time the mind runs out of steam.

I don't think Buddhist psychology would support the idea the dreams are somehow significant.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby lyndon taylor » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:00 am

I think dreams are an opportunity to experience other lives right here right now. I think you'd be foolish not to try to learn something from your dreams, but don't take it seriously in the sense that everything in your dream is going to happen in your regular life or something like that, I've never heard of any teaching of the buddha teaching dreams are nonsense, is their one???
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community that has so generously given me so much, sincerely former monk John
lyndon taylor

Postby Aloka » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:03 am

SarathW wrote:Are any of you do meditation in your dreams?

I don't dream - or if I do, I don't remember the dreams.

Aloka

Postby Mkoll » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:00 am

Aloka wrote:
SarathW wrote:Are any of you do meditation in your dreams?

I don't dream - or if I do, I don't remember the dreams.

I've found this is the case for me when I'm very diligent about my practice. But when I slack off, there are more dreams.

I wouldn't try to psychoanalyse the content of your dreams, EC1by1. I don't think the Buddha would have suggested one do such a thing. Rather, I think he'd say to wake up earlier, jump out of bed, and meditate!
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby EmptyCittas1by1 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:10 am

Thanks guys :twothumbsup:
"Eat little! Sleep little! Speak little! Whatever it may be of worldly habit, lessen them, go against their power. Don't just do as you like, don't indulge in your thought. Stop this slavish following. You must constantly go against the stream of ignorance. This is called "Discipline." When you discipline your heart, it becomes very dissatisfied and begins to struggle. It becomes restricted and oppressed. When the heart is prevented from doing what it wants to do, it starts wandering and struggling. Suffering becomes apparent to us."

— Ajahn Chah
EmptyCittas1by1

Postby SarathW » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:35 am

I think there is a Buddhist story that Buddha’s mother dreamed about a white elephant enter to her womb when he (Buddha) conceived.
:)
SarathW

Return to Open Dhamma